Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps if it cause hundreds of others to not do such a things. If everyone knew UA gave second chances, then many would traffic these certs until they got caught the first time. This is the reason for instituting zero tolerance, to send a message (not to the person but to the wider audience) , don't even think about this.
The same thing can be accomplished by occasionally anonymously posing as a GS flyer and relating a made up story on FlyerTalk about the utterly merciless treatment UA shows in such situations... pretty low cost message delivery system .
Old May 27, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not much to add here that hasn't already been said, except to commend the OP for coming out in Post 1 of this thread and stating all the facts. Most of these threads start out with something like 'UA closed my account, I didn't do anything wrong'and take 5 or so pages of post to get to the point where they will admit the issue at hand.
I wonder if all the facts are out: supposedly United cancels MP account based on 1 certificate offered, but allegedly not sold. And they did this by somehow getting user information from Ebay in a way they haven't (at least not regularly) before..... I feel like there's something still missing.

The big conspiracy theorist in me suggests that maybe United creates Flyertalk accounts and occasionally posts phony stories like this as a caution to everybody. That would be a much cheaper and smarter way to reduce cert sales, rather than firing high-value customers after the fact.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No, jettison of a high spending long time GS/1K member for one sold certificate is not the right course of action. In essence, they just fired a customer who is likely spending 30K+ a year - is that proportional to the crime? They could have just canceled the GPUs from the account and issued a stern warning that the next time, the account is closed and the relationship terminated.

Of course this is the airline that gives a Kettle a F seat for the same cost as a couple checked bags, so their ability to account for both hard and soft costs is very suspect - as is their logical and critical thinking.

So now this customer will likely take their high spend to DL or AA, probably with a status match, and UA can sit back with a smug face and feel happy the rules were enforced with absolute certainty.

surprised at the reaction. OP is attempting to sell and profit off of something that isn't his.

Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
eBay will not give or sell anyone's PII to another company, full stop. That said, it is also really, really easy to figure out who is selling. I'd bet they surf eBay with a list of MP accounts that are actively selling. That is the power of a DMP.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This will not "really" stop it. Persons caught will still claim ignorance (truthful or not).

I was just speculating to why UA would have such a harsh punishment for a one time offense to a rule buried in the fine print. Not bringing the rule to the forefront and not even telling the offender is not going to help stop it either.

This feels more like a typical large corporation where the left hand and doesnt know what the right hand is doing. The security guy is just doing his job, trying to find rule violations. He doesnt care if a short sighted decision will cause UA to lose more money in the long run. "That's someone else's job"
Old May 27, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by trm2
eBay will not give or sell anyone's PII to another company, full stop. That said, it is also really, really easy to figure out who is selling. I'd bet they surf eBay with a list of MP accounts that are actively selling. That is the power of a DMP.
I imagine there are full time UA security employees who spends all day checking ebay for ecerts, GPU/RPU, miles, etc and bids on every single one. If they win, its obviously easy to track down the owner. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you'd identify someone unless their ebay username matches their actual name.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
The same thing can be accomplished by occasionally anonymously posing as a GS flyer and relating a made up story on FlyerTalk about the utterly merciless treatment UA shows in such situations... pretty low cost message delivery system .
Wouldn't that violate the TOS of FlyerTalk, thus subjecting the entire airline to a loss of posting privileges and a ban for 'life'?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
ECERT - it is 3 pages long, printed on boarding card stuff

http://imgur.com/a/aWdfY

I got a security token error trying to upload them here, and imgur sucks, but you get the idea.....number 6 Is the important one...
How do you get 25 of these, in a year?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
20 years loyal flyer with united. 1k and Global Services over past 7 years.

I accumulated many E-certificates, and on a suggestion from a friend, searched the E-certs on Ebay to find many postings. I copied a posting and setup a $125 certificate which started to get bids. First time ever.
If you really are a GS of many years, what the heck is $125 (less since people wouldn't pay face value for script) worth to the OP?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
It's good to be aware that UA closely monitors FT (although many frequent posters on FT seemingly write as if they are unaware), which on face value the OP clearly wasn't by the way he wrote his post. However I don't see any value in a UA 'undercover' employee posting this info here as it's common knowledge among the UA FT community.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by PushingTin
How do you get 25 of these, in a year?
Do the math. 25 is a lot but I've had 17 at one point
Old May 27, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Sorry OP, I have no sympathy for you and applaud UA for taking a hard stance regardless of status. If you have been a 1K/GS all these years then you know better.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Do the math. 25 is a lot but I've had 17 at one point
I've got them for cancelled flights and I assume you get those for VDBs. How else do you collect them?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Sorry OP, I have no sympathy for you and applaud UA for taking a hard stance regardless of status. If you have been a 1K/GS all these years then you know better.
Most GS have relatively poor knowledge; just check out the GS threads. I had a GS innocently ask me about doing something very similar to what the OP did so I am sympathetic to the OP.
All UA needs to do is put in bold that selling ECERTS will cause your MP account to be shut down or something similar.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by PushingTin
I've got them for cancelled flights and I assume you get those for VDBs. How else do you collect them?
25 'upgrades' not ETCs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.