Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I just looked at 3 certs, 2 hand and one email. All 3 clearly say NON-Transferable and may not be sold or bartered in capital letters extremely clearly.

I am sorry for your loss, but not sorry you got caught as this kind of action hurts us all.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsheer
20 years loyal flyer with united. 1k and Global Services over past 7 years.

I accumulated many E-certificates, and on a suggestion from a friend, searched the E-certs on Ebay to find many postings. I copied a posting and setup a $125 certificate which started to get bids. First time ever.

A few days later, while I was mid-flight, i couldn't check in, and after 4 calls to various numbers, learned
  • Account Closed (600k+ miles in bank, many upgrades, 1K terminated)
  • Customer Service couldn't speak with me about the situation
  • I was required to call security to gain any info
After speaking to security and understanding the situation (she asked if I had read the terms and conditions), I rescinded the Ebay posting immediately and forfeited the certificate. This Ebay 'attempt' was a benign action done in haste as I rarely use the granted certificates.They are difficult to redeem (having certain stipulations) and typically expire on me.

Noone every contacted me to inform me that my account was closed. I would imagine the loyalty i have given to the company over 20 years would count for something. I solely fly United and use the service 3-4 flights a month.

After multiple emails over 2 weeks (to Mr. Munoz), the security team finally called back and stated there was no possible reversal and that I couldn't open another Mileage Plus account in my lifetime.

I have never experienced a Customer Service situation like this with any retailer, service provider, travel and entertainment organization or other company of this nature. I do understand their policy and respect organizational policies, however disrepecting 20 years of loyalty and hundreds of Ks of flights is something I find very hard to comprehend.
I am sorry but United clearly states in their Terms and Conditions what constitutes as fair use of your certificates. Whether you knowingly or unknowingly put your certificates up for sale you are still responsible for the consequences.

Is $125 really worth loosing 600,000 miles, 1K Status and Upgrades? To me $125 is paperweight and if I can use the certificate fine if not then I just move on. You don't have a leg to stand on and just learned a very important lesson the hard way. It makes no difference that you rescinded your EBAY posting the security team took a screenshot and proceeded to follow through with closing the account. United could have taken you to court as you wrongfully tried to barter a certificate and transfer it to another person.

By them closing your account its like shoplifting from Costco they can close your membership temporarily or permanently and can ask for civil restitution. The OP spent way more than $125 for his flights to become 1K.

Just imagine if the OP sold a certificate worth $1000? United is using the OP as an example to show that they mean business. Honestly by the OP coming on FlyerTalk where we know that the selling of certificates is against the Terms and Conditions of the airline we can validate that United and other airlines can and does close frequent flier accounts.

Lets make this a lesson to others so that we don't have other people's accounts closed as a result of violating the T&C. Side note OP is a long time UA flier but a new FT poster.

I would wait at least 6 months and write United a letter to see if they will reinstate your account. Until then purchase tickets using the same Credit Card, do not enter in any Frequent Flier Number and see if security will reinstate your ticket.

If the OP had TSA Pre Check or Global Entry do you think United would have reported it to those agencies and the OP could lose that too?
Old May 26, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Tricky one. PM sent to OP on IMO best way to proceed (I've effected reinstatement of a GS friend). I advise not contacting UA Insider. Depending on the transgression, to a certain extent it depends on:

Old May 26, 2017, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I just looked at 3 certs, 2 hand and one email. All 3 clearly say NON-Transferable and may not be sold or bartered in capital letters extremely clearly.
Upgrade certificates (RPU, GPU) and e-certs (TCVA) are most certainly transferable. They just cannot be transferred for consideration (sold or bartered).
Old May 26, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yea, they take their program rules very seriously (at least when they're against you), and apparently you don't.

Head to greener pastures, pay attention to their rules, and don't look back.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
While we sympathize, take the advice of WineCountryUA - apologize mercilessly. Make no mention of your loyalty, what you think they should do, etc.
Agreed. Groveling and contrition are your best strategies now. The person who addresses your case at Mileage Plus will be able to see from your account activity that you are a high-value customer. It won't be necessary for you to remind them.

I'm sure it seems unreasonable for United to react so strongly to such a small infraction of their rules. They are a service company, and we come to trust that "service" means "taking care of customers on the customer's terms." But they are trying to fight the large and pervasive problem of people reselling their instruments. They don't have much choice but to deal with all such infractions in the same manner.

Humility costs nothing. There is much to gain by doing all you can to make them believe you value their service and respect their rules.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL,EK
While I side generally with United here, the airline could put a stop to this immediately if they would make these certificates useless to anyone other than the person it was issued to or someone traveling on the same itinerary with them.

They would save a bunch of money by not having to police this.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
The person who addresses your case at Mileage Plus will be able to see from your account activity that you are a high-value customer. It won't be necessary for you to remind them.
I would disagree. As stated above this matter is for those who deal with fraud detection and security, they likely do not differentiate one passenger from another (or they would not have shut down OPs account in same way they would have shut down a MP silver member who did same). As said there is zero tolerance.

However, when it comes to reinstatement, there will almost certainly be discretion. If you go groveling and apologizing, your letter ends up likely in the groveling and apologizing pile and there will be a standard reply to such letters. The person who reads your email may not even handle it further other than standard reply. However, if you pointed out that you control a company that purchases 50 million USD of tickets a year from UA or maybe that your spouse regularly clocks 800 K BIS miles in premium cabin every year, then I bet you will get different attention and your request will be forwarded up the chain.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
the airline could put a stop to this immediately if they would make these certificates useless to anyone other than the person it was issued to or someone traveling on the same itinerary with them.
That would massively devalue the certificates.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
While I side generally with United here, the airline could put a stop to this immediately if they would make these certificates useless to anyone other than the person it was issued to or someone traveling on the same itinerary with them.

They would save a bunch of money by not having to police this.
As one who was gifted an upgrade via a 1K's CR-1 on LAX-JFK p.s. back in the day and as someone who now can gift RPUs and GPUs to my family and friends (and hope that they get upgraded), I think this is not the goodest idea.

David

p.s. and if I really want them back, I could gift them to nomad420 and always be guaranteed to be re-deposited
Old May 26, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Then they could work like UA employee travel where the receiver of the certificate can designate some number of people each year to use their certificates. Wasting resources by having United cops patrol ebay makes no sense.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Upgrade certificates (RPU, GPU) and e-certs (TCVA) are most certainly transferable. They just cannot be transferred for consideration (sold or bartered).
Nope, I just read it again, it does say it can be used by the person it was issued to, to buy a ticket for someone else, but it can not be transferred. Also if you use it for someone else, there can be no remuneration.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Nope, I just read it again, it does say it can be used by the person it was issued to, to buy a ticket for someone else, but it can not be transferred. Also if you use it for someone else, there can be no remuneration.
Are you referring to an e-cert? Or do you somehow have a paper SWU?
Old May 26, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
Originally Posted by jsheer
20 years loyal flyer with united. 1k and Global Services over past 7 years.

I accumulated many E-certificates, and on a suggestion from a friend, searched the E-certs on Ebay to find many postings. I copied a posting and setup a $125 certificate which started to get bids. First time ever.

A few days later, while I was mid-flight, i couldn't check in, and after 4 calls to various numbers, learned
  • Account Closed (600k+ miles in bank, many upgrades, 1K terminated)
  • Customer Service couldn't speak with me about the situation
  • I was required to call security to gain any info
After speaking to security and understanding the situation (she asked if I had read the terms and conditions), I rescinded the Ebay posting immediately and forfeited the certificate. This Ebay 'attempt' was a benign action done in haste as I rarely use the granted certificates.They are difficult to redeem (having certain stipulations) and typically expire on me.

Noone every contacted me to inform me that my account was closed. I would imagine the loyalty i have given to the company over 20 years would count for something. I solely fly United and use the service 3-4 flights a month.

After multiple emails over 2 weeks (to Mr. Munoz), the security team finally called back and stated there was no possible reversal and that I couldn't open another Mileage Plus account in my lifetime.

I have never experienced a Customer Service situation like this with any retailer, service provider, travel and entertainment organization or other company of this nature. I do understand their policy and respect organizational policies, however disrepecting 20 years of loyalty and hundreds of Ks of flights is something I find very hard to comprehend.
From a business perspective, this seems like a losing proposition for United. Is making a statement to one person about a $125 voucher worth losing tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars (assuming the OP quit flying United)???
Old May 26, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Then they could work like UA employee travel where the receiver of the certificate can designate some number of people each year to use their certificates.
If you have to come up with the list, it would be of little value to most people. And if you can come up with the list on the fly, it would be no different than the status quo.

Originally Posted by bigboy61
Is making a statement to one person about a $125 voucher worth losing tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars (assuming the OP quit flying United)?
From United's perspective, yes. Otherwise, the rules are meaningless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.