Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by eng3
How does this add up to "millons". Whether the original passeneger or someone else uses the miles, upgrades, ETC, it costs UA the same amount of money. Unless you consider every time a mile, upgrade, or ETC gets used a loss.

I think you over estimate the number of people who read these threads or are on Ft at all.

Yeah, its a great deterrent for the tiny population of UA flyers who actually read these threads.

It's not a deterrent at all for the majority of people who sell these certs, miles, upgrades, etc.
Breakage.

Industry-wide, 40% of these sorts of vouchers, credits, and other funny-money go unused. I can't speak to OP or his specific cert, but enterprise-wide, that nets out to $75. The $50, on average, is not breakage if people can convert these to cash.

All of the suggestions about how to get reinstated or to commit further fraud after the ban are music to the ears of the UA (and other carrier) marketers. Goes to prove their theory that they can boot someone from GS to nothing, strip him of his miles, and put him in a position where he boards last, pays for bags, and so on, and the guy still comes groveling back.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The OP can just open a new account with a different address/country and use forms of payment that were never used on UA before. Just enter a different date of birth on the traveler profile, the TSA never actually verifies this information anyway, nor does UA. Keep the information new/different/fresh and it's unlikely to be detected.

If their spend stays the same, they will be 1k again, and later perhaps, GS.
That most definitely will not work.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yes, but it's not actively checked and verified. If one flies international, the only time it would be corrected is if an agent notices at check-in and manually updates it.

Before pre-check, during the "at-war" years many of us had with the TSA, we regularly entered false birthdates to mess with their database without any repercussion.
Who is "we"?

This has to be the worst advice I've read in a very long time.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, the AS T&C say that one may not sell, barter, etc. but do not say that the ATTEMPT to sell, barter, etc. is prohibited. They're different. A literal reading of the AS rule in bold says that it's OK if the sale isn't concluded.

I'm certainly not saying that I think it's OK to attempt to sell upgrade instruments, miles, award tickets, etc., but the AS rules don't explicitly prohibit the ATTEMPT to do so.
I don't think that would help he if he had his AS account shut down. He was fully engaged in selling his cert. Far more than an attempt.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There seems to be a presumption that folks selling these certs don't know about the prohibition or rules (clearly attached in a short list of T&Cs). I think that is native concept in reference to many of the sellers. Many actually state that the certs can not be sold or bartered in their posting
Please note: Per the terms and conditions, this certificate cannot be sold or bartered. Therefore, this action is not for the sale of the certificate itself. Instead, consider this auction my fee to help arrange travel for the auction winner.
or
You are bidding on travel information on the specific flight and aircraft as scheduled. This information has been complied by me from personal experience and the experience of others. It includes any services for the flight and some seating information including some conditions you may want steer clear of when selecting seats.

Included as my gift is a free one way Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) per info packet.
In a recent case, in the OP, there are no claims, "did not know about the rules" -- the OP is about "I did not expect such a response from UA. I expected a warning" (my words, not a quote)
Originally Posted by jsheer
... Noone every contacted me to inform me that my account was closed. I would imagine the loyalty i have given to the company over 20 years would count for something. I solely fly United and use the service 3-4 flights a month.

After multiple emails over 2 weeks (to Mr. Munoz), the security team finally called back and stated there was no possible reversal and that I couldn't open another Mileage Plus account in my lifetime.

I have never experienced a Customer Service situation like this with any retailer, service provider, travel and entertainment organization or other company of this nature. I do understand their policy and respect organizational policies, however disrepecting 20 years of loyalty and hundreds of Ks of flights is something I find very hard to comprehend.
No claims of ignorance (with a statement of having viewed many ebay postings) but rather surprised of no warning or second chance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2017 at 2:34 pm Reason: double word cleanup
Old May 28, 2017, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A literal reading of the AS rule in bold says that it's OK if the sale isn't concluded.
You are reading way too much into that, and have no ground to stand on. That's like saying those offes to sell an evelope for $200 on eBay (with a free GPU!) are legitimate. Go ahead and try that. The results will be identical.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...The OP can just open a new account with a different address/country and use forms of payment that were never used on UA before. Just enter a different date of birth on the traveler profile, the TSA never actually verifies this information anyway, nor does UA. Keep the information new/different/fresh and it's unlikely to be detected...
So, you're proposing it's OK for OP to lie to and deceive UA? Integrity doesn't count for much anymore...
Old May 28, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
So, you're proposing it's OK for OP to lie to and deceive UA? Integrity doesn't count for much anymore...
Thank you. This is the exact kind of attitude that got us all here in the first place. "Me me me!" and trying to scam a quick buck. Maybe if people weren't so cheap and conniving UA would be more lenient. I for one am sick to death of all the travel blogs instructing people how to "screw over the system" and travel through loopholes and semi-scams.

It also boggles my mind how un-valuable people find their own time and effort that they'd do something like this for a lousy hundred bucks.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by tcp1
Thank you. This is the exact kind of attitude that got us all here in the first place. "Me me me!" and trying to scam a quick buck. Maybe if people weren't so cheap and conniving UA would be more lenient. I for one am sick to death of all the travel blogs instructing people how to "screw over the system" and travel through loopholes and semi-scams.

It also boggles my mind how un-valuable people find their own time and effort that they'd do something like this for a lousy hundred bucks.
+1

im surprised these tactics are allowed to remain posted. Openly encouraging fraud is dangerous, and immature. Just don't break the rules. In the OP's case, don't profit off something that's not yours. It's that simple.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I've noticed these certs and upgrades being sold over the years, and often times there's an acknowledgment on the eBay site that the certificates can't be sold, so instead they are selling an envelope with the cert inside, or advice on how to use the cert. Clearly this doesn't hold water.
I can't think of any clearer way for someone to broadcast that they know they're breaking the rules. Particularly selling upgrade advice then giving the buyer a "free" cert. Just search eBay for "United Airlines upgrades" and there's a bunch of advice for sale (interesting how advice for a GPU is much more expensive than advice for using an RPU). Again, these sellers can't possibly be surprised when they get caught and find pleading ignorance gets them nowhere.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I can't think of any clearer way for someone to broadcast that they know they're breaking the rules. Particularly selling upgrade advice then giving the buyer a "free" cert. Just search eBay for "United Airlines upgrades" and there's a bunch of advice for sale (interesting how advice for a GPU is much more expensive than advice for using an RPU). Again, these sellers can't possibly be surprised when they get caught and find pleading ignorance gets them nowhere.
I buy and sell on eBay regularly and when I do so I am always checking the prices of similar items, I cannot imagine that the Original Poster did not do something similar when posting their cert. All it would take is to look at a few auctions to see the hoops people were jumping through to circumvent United's TOS. That should have been a warning bell right there.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
After reading the above posts, I'd like to get a clarification from a knowledgeable source in answer to this question:

Is it against UA's Rules to give an upgrade award (GPU or RPU) to anyone? (Viz. Give away for FREE......No selling, bartering, exchanges, NSA).....In other words, it's like giving to charity: you don't expect anything in return, including a tax deduction, except a Thank You.

Originally Posted by eng3
Be careful with this. Although you have broken no rule, there have been reports of the passenger showing up to the airport only to find that their ticket has been cancelled. Sometimes stranding them in a far away country.

It seems that UA's security organization is like most security organizations that are empowered to do whatever they want with no accountability on themselves. They have no problem closing an account or cancelling a ticket with no notice or explanation. These types of people often feel they are always 100% right and you are there to serve them and become offended when you question them.
They seem to have no relation to customer service since they are not accountable to anyone.

So if you are giving away these to strangers its best to have something like a signed letter to prove you are giving it away and are not selling or bartering. The burden of proof is on you even though it should be on UA.
When you say: "Be careful with this.", I'm thinking, yes, UA, had better be careful with this.........If anything happened to my account or an account or ticket of the person I gave the award to, UA had better have proof of wrongdoing/rule breaking or there would be no speedy "Dr. David Dao Settlement". Of that you can be sure. (As an example, I had a 2-year lawsuit with the 7th largest company in the U.S. at the time, Enron [acting as attorney pro se].......And, look what happened to them! )
Old May 28, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It is absolutely NOT against Ua rules to give away miles, GPU/RPU, etc to ANYONE for free (not selling or bartering).

I said be careful because there were some reports where UA security saw activity that looked like fraudulent activity and caused alot of problems (ie. intl ticket cancelled without notice). Just do a search on the forums and you can read the long threads.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
I'm sure you're right and I really do appreciate the warning. (Viz. There's no need to give any appearance of fraudulent activity).

However, UA must make things right when they do wrong.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by EMan
However, UA must make things right when they do wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.