Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Ah, yeah, that's a pretty easy one to grasp, and I'm surprised anyone would think they could continue to get away it.

Understood. Generally speaking, when I refund a ticket, I replace it with another more expensive one. I imagine they're tracking all that, and doubt I'm anything more than a minor annoyance to them from time to time.

Thanks much.

My cancellation rate is higher than yours, and I've been doing it for quite some time, so I doubt you have much of anything to worry about.
What I assume airlines care about isn't stuff like this, but a pattern of canceling refundable flights so close to departure that they can't sell the freed-up seat.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
What I assume airlines care about isn't stuff like this, but a pattern of canceling refundable flights so close to departure that they can't sell the freed-up seat.
I do the buy 2 tickets AAA-BBB and AAA-CCC and wait for the dominoes to fall, cancel one and get on the other plane

I do it more than I would like to admit. I mean if UA doesn't want my business and that is what my business is, i guess I'll find someone else. i am not doing it maliciously or for any monetary gain, it is just worth it to me to have a seat where i need to go.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I do it more than I would like to admit. I mean if UA doesn't want my business and that is what my business is, i guess I'll find someone else. i am not doing it maliciously or for any monetary gain, it is just worth it to me to have a seat where i need to go.
You are unlikely to be very successful "find[ing] someone else." Even WN considers this to be a prima facie example of malicious behavior -- there was a thread highlighted in TalkMail a while back about a recent WN software upgrade being more aggressive about cancelling duplicate bookings.

The problem, from UA's perspective, is that by holding two seats without the intent to use both of them, you're depriving them of the ability to sell whichever one ends up getting cancelled. Leaving aside the veracity of that statement -- assuming you're talking about Y seats, UA is perfectly willing to oversell the flight -- I would not recommend doing this frequently lest you get burned. (Also, unless you are purchasing a fully unrestricted ticket, there likely is a monetary difference between your approach and their preferred approach, which is "buy on ticket and change it if necessary," even if that's not your primary motivating factor).

Having said that -- UA doesn't appear to have gone as far as WN, which was flagging anything departing the same airport on the same day (so if you flew AUS-HOU at 6 AM, HOU-AUS at 1 PM, and AUS-LAX at 8 PM, they were flagging it despite that clearly being possible to fly). If there is enough time for you reasonably to get back to your origin in between, there doesn't seem to be a problem.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
I do the buy 2 tickets AAA-BBB and AAA-CCC and wait for the dominoes to fall, cancel one and get on the other plane

Continually booking 2 different itineraries for different destinations that has you in the air on 2 planes at the same time, will definitely get you your wish to take your business elsewhere.

I'd make a note of this particular thread title so you can come back on here in the future, eliminating the need to start another thread, after you get popped, and the dominoes fall.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean if UA doesn't want my business and that is what my business is, i guess I'll find someone else.
Let us know how many upgrades you get on Greyhound.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:21 pm

Don't get me wrong, if I get in trouble, I'll book AAA-BBB on United and AAA-CCC on Delta or American

I would rather go greyhound than WN
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Often1
Air carrier fraud detection software is a whole lot more sophisticated than it was even 3-4 years ago. It's not just eCerts on eBay, but everything from the sale of miles or award tickets to duplicate bookings, to repeat refunding of tickets and other conduct which ranges from petty to major fraud.
This +1000%

Major global carriers (including every US legacy airline) are aggressively deploying third-party fraud detection companies and/or leveraging Big Data to identify and address 1) ticketing/booking violations (including improper/excessive use of waivers), 2) FF misuse, and 3) IT-related shenanigans at lower conduct thresholds and with much faster response times than ever.

For example, in tandem with the revised schedule change policy, United vastly expanded its automated pre-departure auditing of PNRs with schedule change fee waived reissues. The audit system automatically detects whether a bona fide schedule change (triggering re-booking rights) occurred, and whether proper UA/UAX flights were used for the re-accommodation (or if a supervisor specifically authorized any deviation from the rules). PNRs flagged by the audit for improper handling are reviewed by the Corporate Security department.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't get me wrong, if I get in trouble, I'll book AAA-BBB on United and AAA-CCC on Delta or American
Personally, assuming that you're traveling on the same date in both cases, I would start doing it this way immediately. While you still run the risk of having your account closed for excess cancellations, you're less likely to show up at the airport with no ticket because UA detected the overlap and cancelled them both.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:43 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

"UA reserves the right to cancel bookings and/or reservations which it deems fraudulent, abusive, illogical, fictitious, which are booked and/or reserved with no intention of flying, or for which the passenger makes a misrepresentation without notice to the passenger or the individual making the booking. The types of improper reservations that UA will cancel without notice include, but are not limited to: reservations made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger; reservations made to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, MP award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available; reservations made to circumvent any of UA’s fare rules, policies or provisions; reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities; and reservations with connections that depart before the arrival on the inbound flight."

Rule 5 in the CoC https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...-carriage.aspx
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:15 pm

See, to me that is saying like ORD-SFO and ORD-SJC and having both of them valid

For instance lats week I had ATL to PHX and ATL to MSP and I didn't know which place I was going until the day before the flight.

I guess if it seems like it might be against the rules, I'll start making the second flight on AA, I am almost EP anyway, might as well finish it. That way there is no way I can run afoul of that rule.

I never did it to get a cheaper fare - 99% of the time, I was on refundable F fare....oh well, cest la vie

Thanks for the heads up
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See, to me that is saying like ORD-SFO and ORD-SJC and having both of them valid
Origin or destination.

I never did it to get a cheaper fare - 99% of the time, I was on refundable F fare....oh well, cest la vie

Thanks for the heads up
Believe it or not, that might actually make it worse from UA's perspective, as they don't oversell F. So, while they were certainly happy to get the revenue for the seat that you used, the ticket that you cancelled may well have ended up going to an upgrader or a TOD, vs. a paid first fare if they'd had the seat open earlier.

I understand your point of view -- UA seems to be filling the F cabin well before departure, and you don't want to end up in a situation where you have a ticket for PHX, need to be in MSP, and there's nothing available. Honestly, I think the best solution here would be for UA to hold back one or two seats in F on every flight, giving them the ability to accommodate last-minute purchases, SDCs, and destination changes like yours. Whatever held back seats aren't taken can then go to upgrades / TODs at the gate. (And I say this as someone with an acceptable CPU% well before the gate -- I think UA is messing up by giving me that upgrade early when you might buy the seat later).

Anyway, I don't think any of us are trying to pile on, and I definitely appreciate your taking this in the constructive way in which it's intended. :-) I hate reading stories like the OP's, and I would hate to have any FT member come back and report a similar experience.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

This isn't even a gray area, and is right in the heart of what United forbids.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I have read through the 150+ replies in this post (I'm am the OP) multiple times and I appreciate the support from many of you on this situation.

I'll start by saying that UA's customer service (1k/GS) has been top quality, always amiable, and accommodating my needs as a frequent traveler. I learn the name of each representative while I am speaking with them , and the company's service quality has only risen over the years, especially the last few years where they continually strive to make my travel challenges more tolerable. Kudos to Mr. Munoz's culture and vision to make the typically arduous activity of travel the most pleasant as can be.

I suppose the two most troubling elements of the situation are the facts that I was not contacted in any manner by UA to convey that my account was closed, locked, and forfeited. I learned this mid-flight trying to check-in, had to pay baggage fees for the first time in eight years, and relegated back from Group 1 boarding.
Secondly, the loss of awards from a program that I funded through loyalty for many years was extraordinary. This was also funded by my Presidential Plus card which I have maintained as a primary card for six years acquiring many of the miles, and benefits that have been accrued. All those awards are gone as well, another penalty of this situation.

I will attempt to address some of the questions throughout the various posts. There was mention of me possibly being a 'plant' by UA, or a setup to send a message. That is not the case. I am a frequent flier who has only flown UA over many years.

Also, there was question to my tone to United and my letter to Mr. Munoz.Below is the letter to UA.

Mr. Munoz, if you have 5 minutes to review the note below, I’d appreciate it.

I am a huge advocate of the culture changes you have implemented over the last few years at United and have been 1K or Global Services since 2011.
I mistakenly posted one of my granted E-certificates on E-bay, a first time event and i noticed many other posts of this nature, so i gave it an attempt.
As i Checked in for my flight this week, being midstream of a round trip, I had considerable trouble and learned my MileagePlus account was CLOSED, with no notification, email, contact or any communication from your organization. In fact, i was shuffled across three orgs to finally learn that this was in regards to the posting.
I learned that my posting violated policy, upon which i immediately removed the post.
United MileagePlus and Compliance have stated this will not be reversed.
This is a very disturbing series of events, and I apologize for the miscue, however it was benign, and quickly remediated.

Your customer service story regarding this action has been very hard to accept as i have been a loyal customer for many years, and I am frankly surprised at this response from United.

Originally Posted by bigboy61
From a business perspective, this seems like a losing proposition for United. Is making a statement to one person about a $125 voucher worth losing tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars (assuming the OP quit flying United)???
I have spent 30-50k per year annually. imho, it could have been handled in a more reasonable manner, as this is not a chronic misuse, was an act of ignorance, and I genuinely want to remain with the airline.

Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
So you actually did sell one or not? You stated you rescinded the ebay post, so how did they ever identify you (assuming you never sold it)?
I don't know how they reconciled my Ebay account with my MP account. I never posted the E-Cert number, only the posting of the availability of a cert for sale.

Originally Posted by bigboy61
Honestly, I don't think this whole voucher selling business on eBay is as big a deal as it seems. I think for elites, they should have a 2 strike rule. First time, warning and maybe half miles. Second strike, your gone. United gets the bitter end of this deal in my opinion.
I appreciate your support, and agree. I apologized to United for this situation both verbally to the Compliance team and to Customer Support.

Originally Posted by PushingTin
25 upgrades?
Yes, RPU and GPUs, only a few E-certs that were still valid. I have used a few however more have expired on me than I have used. 25 upgrades are earned by frequent flying and I 'believe' i earn them for all the Credit card incentives on the Presidential Plus card.

Originally Posted by eng3
Although ignorance is no excuse for breaking the rules, I do feel for you. The punishment doesnt seem proportional. Even if you successfully sold all of your certs (which you would use at least some anyways), how much of a loss is that compared to the amount of money they with your loyalty as a 1K/GS for the rest of your lifetime. I can understand a punishment being harsh as a deterant, but its not like this is on the news. They didn't even inform you. I've met many GS/1K who are unaware that they are not allowed to sell certs, miles, gpu's etc and that they forfeit all of their miles and status. If UA really wants this to stop, they should make these rules more clear such as bolding it on the ecert. If people can't even figure out how to bring a proper sized bag with signs and popup screens all over the place, or understand INVOL rules, how are they expected to understand these rules. If only this were a viral video, maybe UA would change their mind.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your support.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not much to add here that hasn't already been said, except to commend the OP for coming out in Post 1 of this thread and stating all the facts. Most of these threads start out with something like 'UA closed my account, I didn't do anything wrong'and take 5 or so pages of post to get to the point where they will admit the issue at hand.
Again, thank you for your support.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
No, jettison of a high spending long time GS/1K member for one sold certificate is not the right course of action. In essence, they just fired a customer who is likely spending 30K+ a year - is that proportional to the crime? They could have just canceled the GPUs from the account and issued a stern warning that the next time, the account is closed and the relationship terminated.

Of course this is the airline that gives a Kettle a F seat for the same cost as a couple checked bags, so their ability to account for both hard and soft costs is very suspect - as is their logical and critical thinking.

So now this customer will likely take their high spend to DL or AA, probably with a status match, and UA can sit back with a smug face and feel happy the rules were enforced with absolute certainty.

I have booked 3 flights, 2 internationally since this occurred, all on alternative airlines. This was highly inconvenient and less desirable, however I need to start to build a loyalty portfolio on an airline where I can reap benefits, something that everyone should understand.

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Not even sure it is appropriate for me to post to this thread... I am not a frequent flyer nor do I live in the USA so don't fly UA but on reading this thread I am sitting here outraged that such punitive action was taken by UA.

Of course, I have to agree with the majority here that the rules were clearly broken and so while I feel for the OP he can't be too surprised at what happened. Airlines must clip this kind of thing in the bud if they are to stand any chance of controlling potential losses. But surely, with such a valuable customer, there should be a degree of flexibility? It makes sense to take significant and effective action immediately but now the point has been made and so IMO it would make good business sense for UA to at least restore some of his status.

On a more general note... how many of us (and I very much include me in this) actually read T&Cs when buying or using a service, joining a club etc? Not many of us I would guess. Ignorance is no defense so perhaps this is a head-up for us all to, may be, take a read through the T&Cs of the various services we use... I know I will.
Obviously, I didn't read the T&Cs.

Originally Posted by dordal
And this was truthfully the first time?

That's a little concerning about eBay then: they're giving away (or selling) our personal information for non law enforcement purposes. If you have anymore info on how they found you I'd be very curious.

I would think UA would reinstate you, but agree with others to apologize profusely and admit you messed up.
I have not spent time to reverse engineer the situation and how they reconciled my Ebay account to my MP account, except when I spoke with the Compliance team, they stated my account was closed due to policy violation of 'posting an E-cert' on Ebay, which I immediately stated 'Yes i did, and i didnt realize the situation'. That could have been the method on their confirming their suspicion.

Originally Posted by PushingTin
How do you get 25 of these, in a year?
Lot's of flying and Credit Card usage.

Originally Posted by entropy
If you really are a GS of many years, what the heck is $125 (less since people wouldn't pay face value for script) worth to the OP?
It was a mistake, and as a frequent flyer, this was the first time. As well as the first time I have even visited this forum, and my visit here was only due to that fact that UA told me that Flyer Talk supported their position and I should read up on it.

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Sorry OP, I have no sympathy for you and applaud UA for taking a hard stance regardless of status. If you have been a 1K/GS all these years then you know better.
On the contrary, why would i know all the details? I don't frequent this forum, nor have i ever had an issue with the program. I simply fly all the time, and I am unaware of all the policies. In fact, the only way I knew about the 1k complimentary meal/drink per flight was through a flyer sitting next to me who mentioned it. Not all of us fliers frequent these forums.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
OP sorry this happened. I know how you feel to a lesser extent, as my account was locked for several months back 5 years ago. I never realized how important the United miles/upgrades/status was to me until I lost it for a while. I had over 500k miles and 12 certs I believe at the time in addition to 3 itineraries that I used instruments to upgrade which I wasn't allowed to earn miles on and instruments withdrawn if I recall correctly.

Don't want to relive this as I was under suspicion for something that was false, but scared the crap out of me and there is NO one to call as when the account goes to the investigation group or whatever they call it no one will transfer you to anyone other than to say your case is under review.

I got an email a couple months later saying my account was again active and thank you for my loyalty. I really do like united for the miles are pretty valuable and easy to earn, but most importantly I'm about 40k away from lifetime 1 million so that is something I look forward to.

I hope your situation works out and commend you for your honesty here. I would give it another shot in an email or typed letter you fed ex to them. In there mention that they can feel free to search where each of your upgrades you have gifted to people in your last 5 years or whatever and they were all family and friends that know you. Not sold. This is maybe your best tactic as it will prove this is a small mistake compared to your loyalty for years, we hope. Good luck.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
For every 4 flights I book on UA I probably cancel 1 within 24 hours. I'm an impulsive person and love the 24hr cancellation feature. Hope this doesn't put me on any UA fraud radar.
Your protection there is that this is a federal rule now - to offer 24 hour holds or cancellations. UA would be hard pressed to penalize someone for doing something specifically proscribed by federal statute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.