Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Breakage.

Industry-wide, 40% of these sorts of vouchers, credits, and other funny-money go unused. I can't speak to OP or his specific cert, but enterprise-wide, that nets out to $75. The $50, on average, is not breakage if people can convert these to cash.

All of the suggestions about how to get reinstated or to commit further fraud after the ban are music to the ears of the UA (and other carrier) marketers. Goes to prove their theory that they can boot someone from GS to nothing, strip him of his miles, and put him in a position where he boards last, pays for bags, and so on, and the guy still comes groveling back.
During the Dr Dao incident, it was stated that UA used a breakage rate of 75% when calculating how much to offer for a VDB versus just doing IDBs.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by kilo
But UA could keep their own HVFs and get AA's!

All they need to do is punish them by taking away their status , miles and/or upgrade instruments but leave their MP accounts open so they might continue to spend with UA.
OP can still spend and fly on UA. OP can still collect miles/status on another *A program, only thing OP can't do is collect miles/status on UA MP program.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Air carrier fraud detection software is a whole lot more sophisticated than it was even 3-4 years ago. It's not just eCerts on eBay, but everything from the sale of miles or award tickets to duplicate bookings, to repeat refunding of tickets and other conduct which ranges from petty to major fraud.

Some of the "catches" are fairly stark for those contemplating further fraud by reestablishing a new account. For instance, gifting award tickets to people who have received multiple tickets from others with whom they have no connection.

The notion that someone who has been shut down will be able to readily recreate his digital identity once he is already flagged, is close to laughable.

It also proves that for those who say that UA is costing itself an HVC, it is not. Someone who has been just about fired by UA --- he can still fly --- begging and then committing further fraud to get back into the program and carrier he has just bashed, is hardly a revenue loss.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes, but it's not actively checked and verified. If one flies international, the only time it would be corrected is if an agent notices at check-in and manually updates it.

Before pre-check, during the "at-war" years many of us had with the TSA, we regularly entered false birthdates to mess with their database without any repercussion.
Pre-check works with incorrect birthdates.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Exactly - some are asking for leniency for a "minor" infraction. But everyone in the industry is doing the same thing, there is no in-between. The present value of $50k/year HVF spend for the next 20 years is only around $630k, given the size of UA, I think UA can take the hit.
Still doesn't explain why the airlines don't wipe out all of a rule breaking customer's miles+certs+instruments and warn that if they do it again there account will be closed.

Seems like that would be harsh enough to scare off others but still allow the airlines to earn revenue from a HVF.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 29, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old May 29, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Apologies if this is covered already - just discovered this thread and it's tough to go through all the posts. If it's against program rules to cell UA's certs and eBay cooperates with UA, why doesn't eBay simply not allow these types of listings?
Old May 29, 2017, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Apologies if this is covered already - just discovered this thread and it's tough to go through all the posts. If it's against program rules to cell UA's certs and eBay cooperates with UA, why doesn't eBay simply not allow these types of listings?
eBay only cooperates with the airlines in the case of -actual- fraud-- as in criminal fraud-- (which there is quite a bit of as well, selling stolen instruments, hacked account's miles, etc) they do not cooperate with the airline's when the issue is violation of the airlines' FF programs T&C's. Some auctions are removed on request, but that's a smallish number.

And, unrelated, but not widely known; that different airline's FF programs departments that deal with these issues do share info with each other, especially in the cases of recidivist or particularly flagrant offenders.

T'was a time as well that AA had an FT identity and used it to round up a lot of traders in coupon connection. No idea if UA has ever flirted with that. But these analysts/investigators "are everywhere," to varying degrees.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by eng3
One example, a field engineer is 100% on travel and the travel is paid for by his employer 100% of the time. His own spending is nearly $0 thus no use for the ETC.

Breaking a UA rule is not illegal. Thats why the OP didn't goto jail or get the death penalty
Actually, the definition of "illegal" isn't what you think. It is illegal (i.e. - against the law) to breach a contract. That is why you can go to court to collect damages or otherwise enforce a contract.

Also, as I have posted many times over the years, it is a crime, at least in California (although I don't know of anyone who has ever been prosecuted).
Old May 29, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by jpezaris
I've been reading lots of the reactions and advice here, and am familiar with thee stories, but two things struck me just now.

1. It didn't used to be this way. UA turned a relatively blind eye to certificate sales. There were only occasional stories of infractions, and they were limited to the really big ones where many (dozens?) of certificates were for sale.
Honestly that is not my experience, at least not from the UA side. Back in the 90s my department head was a SVP or a Fortune 500 company. Nice guy but he met someone in a RCC club who connected him with a travel agency of some sort and "sold" them free tickets or upgrades. Not too many from memory. He got a call in the office from United and was told to expect a certified letter.

The letter came and was a final warning. His account had been frozen and if he signed and returned the enclosed admission (of guilt) letter within seven days and promised never to do it again his account would be reinstated. If the letter was not received within seven days the account and its contents would be wiped out and he would be banned from rejoining. Needless to say he signed right away.

So 25 years ago the reaction was only a tad softer than today.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, unrelated, but not widely known; that different airline's FF programs departments that deal with these issues do share info with each other, especially in the cases of recidivist or particularly flagrant offenders.
This does not surprise me in the least. There are many industries where competitors share information on people/parties they suspect of perpetuating fraud or theft.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by JonNYC
T'was a time as well that AA had an FT identity and used it to round up a lot of traders in coupon connection. No idea if UA has ever flirted with that. But these analysts/investigators "are everywhere," to varying degrees.
​​​​​​A fool is one who thinks there's isn't a UA cheese eater among us.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: united premier exec, hhonors diamond, priority club platinum elite
Guess someone learned that Aviation takes rules seriously. When you screw up there is NO recourse....[Moderator edit.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 29, 2017 at 9:42 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12: to edit unduly personalized text.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Often1
Air carrier fraud detection software is a whole lot more sophisticated than it was even 3-4 years ago. It's not just eCerts on eBay, but everything from the sale of miles or award tickets to duplicate bookings, to repeat refunding of tickets and other conduct which ranges from petty to major fraud.
What's the angle on repeat refunding of tickets? Like booking the same flight over and over, continuously refunding it? Or just refunding lots of tickets over time? I do quite a bit of the latter, and it's nothing fraudulent. Curious what the fraud angle might be?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
What's the angle on repeat refunding of tickets? Like booking the same flight over and over, continuously refunding it? Or just refunding lots of tickets over time? I do quite a bit of the latter, and it's nothing fraudulent. Curious what the fraud angle might be?
I can't find the thread, but there was a GS who was booking himself and his wife separate tickets--hers refundable--so she could accompany him to the gate to help deal with his fear of flying, and then canceling/refunding hers just before departure. UA kicked him out of Mileage Plus. And note that UA can kick you out for reasons other than fraud, such as if they simply decide you are more trouble than you're worth revenue-wise.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:25 pm

For every 4 flights I book on UA I probably cancel 1 within 24 hours. I'm an impulsive person and love the 24hr cancellation feature. Hope this doesn't put me on any UA fraud radar.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by physioprof
I can't find the thread, but there was a GS who was booking himself and his wife separate tickets--hers refundable--so she could accompany him to the gate to help deal with his fear of flying, and then canceling/refunding hers just before departure. UA kicked him out of Mileage Plus.
Ah, yeah, that's a pretty easy one to grasp, and I'm surprised anyone would think they could continue to get away it.

And note that UA can kick you out for reasons other than fraud, such as if they simply decide you are more trouble than you're worth revenue-wise.
Understood. Generally speaking, when I refund a ticket, I replace it with another more expensive one. I imagine they're tracking all that, and doubt I'm anything more than a minor annoyance to them from time to time.

Thanks much.

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
For every 4 flights I book on UA I probably cancel 1 within 24 hours. I'm an impulsive person and love the 24hr cancellation feature. Hope this doesn't put me on any UA fraud radar.
My cancellation rate is higher than yours, and I've been doing it for quite some time, so I doubt you have much of anything to worry about.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I can't find the thread, but there was a GS who was booking himself and his wife separate tickets--hers refundable--so she could accompany him to the gate to help deal with his fear of flying, and then canceling/refunding hers just before departure. UA kicked him out of Mileage Plus. And note that UA can kick you out for reasons other than fraud, such as if they simply decide you are more trouble than you're worth revenue-wise.
Ah, yes. A classic. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nt-closed.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.