Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The goal of fraud is to maximize one's benefit to the detriment of someone else. United hardly wants to be that someone else. Nobody at United would be dumb enough to say, "Hey, I have an idea! Let's reinstate people who have cheated us before!"
I agree with your definition of fraud.. However in this case, only United seems to have branded these users as those who committed 'fraud' - from the members standpoint, most believe they didn't commit fraud, they just used an item (6 of) that they earned because of giving united $12k and flying over 100k miles in a year. There has been lot of argument with different viewpoints on whether it is fraud or whether it was a minor infraction of the rules.We can all agree to disagree on our viewpoints.

Like I said, who knows if they will re-open these accounts or not. From your response, you seem to believe that they will not. Fair enough - you are entitled to your opinion.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lovestache

Like I said, who knows if they will re-open these accounts or not. From your response, you seem to believe that they will not.
There is only one group who wants the closed accounts reopened. Those whose accounts were closed.
uanj, Ari, RNE and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I always use a VPN for security ...
A VPN does not really provide any added security unless you do not trust your local network (as much as you trust your VPN). If anything, it makes you a bigger target. If UA really wants, they can still identify someone even if they are using a VPN unless the user is taking other measures. Well, maybe not UA, but a good computing team.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I use a VPN when trying to connect via a public access point and while I'm traveling.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussions of VPN belongs in the Travel Technology forum.
No connection to the thread topic.

Such as
[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations
or VPN - Explain to a dummy
threads in that forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, Bonvoy Platinum elite Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
They should reopen anyone who didint do outright fraud. Many are 1K/GS and would directly impact united's bottom line. Some people I know we're spending 30-80K a year with very minor offences. UA would be stupid if they don't reinstate those accounts. At least give them a warning that one more offence and you are out for life. Be reasonable if you are trying to save your airline.

I guess talking to the wall would be more effective.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by samcmontreal
They should reopen anyone who didint do outright fraud. Many are 1K/GS and would directly impact united's bottom line. Some people I know we're spending 30-80K a year with very minor offences. UA would be stupid if they don't reinstate those accounts. At least give them a warning that one more offence and you are out for life. Be reasonable if you are trying to save your airline.
Can you give some examples of minor offenses you're referring to? Is selling 100,000 miles, for instance, a minor offense? Selling 2-3 systemwide upgrades? Where do you cross the line into the "minor" category?
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by samcmontreal

I guess talking to the wall would be more effective.
UA doesn't close accounts for minor offenses -- they close accounts for flagrant and outright violations of the rules of the game -- no different than being bounced from a sport for doping or banned from all of the stores of a retail chain for shoplifting at one of them.

Actually there is a difference; in the latter two cases you are completely excluded. In UA's case if you want to continue flying UA that much they'll still gladly take your money just not at the expense of extending FQTV benefits. Those who have been bounced from MP are still welcome to spend 30k+ year on United if they wish... but chances if they're spending that kind of money thats their employer's money and business travel has been annihilated, so the chances of them spending $30k right now are slim even if UA welcomed them back. (I'm only a ~30k year spender on average and my business travel has been cut dramatically -- not due to my choice, I'd be back up in the air in a minute but when my boss/owner is asking questions like "You know you don't really have to go if you don't want to", "I'd prefer we told the client we didn't want their business rather than put you on a plane", etc. it's going to be a hard sell in more bureaucratic environments.

And continuing to do business with someone who can't be trusted to follow the rules is not -- given the entire population of MP members, the vast majority of which follow the rules and some are pure profit to UA (credit card holders who fly maybe once a year, for example -- no perks cost lots of points purchase revenue) bringing back scofflaws is not going to "save the airline" -- and sends the wrong message to those who (currently) follow the rules
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Well said. People without ethics, values and morals are people nobody wants around ... in business or in personal life.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Super easy to judge. If I was doing those kinds of things I hope people would call me out on them.

Abuse hurts all of us, see Costco changing return policies or REI discontinuing lifetime warranties.

I think most of the community would agree. Our FT members here tend to be people with very high ethics that I admire, personally and professionally.
SPN Lifer, uanj, onthesam and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Sorry I can't feel compassion for your issue. I do feel compassion for your employees. If someone sets themselves up to "manage" anything for someone else, that manager needs to read the terms, conditions and rules of what s/he is managing. This is not to be blamed on United. They publish the rules, you need to read and understand them. Each employee who wants their account reinstated needs to contact UA in writing to request it. You also need to contact UA in writing to admit that the fault does not rest with the employee and show appreciation for anything UA can do for your people. You need to do that separately for every employee. Hopefully UA will be tolerant with the accounts.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: United
Exclamation Mileage Plus Account Permanently Closed (for selling upgrades)

Anybody experienced this recently? Appalling experience. They don't even tell what you did wrong or violated or started a conversation, just closed your account, wipe out your miles, and deleted your status. Is that a covid-19 aftermath? United is desperate to write off liabilities on their balance sheet so they no longer care a 20-year loyal member? Again, appalling,
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Did you sell upgrades/points?
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Have you tried calling and asking?
Guate87 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: United
Yes, a few to friends and their friends...but I was never told I couldn't do it by any United Reps over the phone during upgrading. Now they are sending me the rules and terms after the drastic actions. Who would read it?!!!!! Honestly.

Yes.....they said I violated rules... who would read the rules. What is defined as authorized and un-authorized sponsorship?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2021 at 2:40 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts by the same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.