Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you're not actively flying UA, the only real benefit is *G.

If you're actively flying UA, but less than 50k per year, the Premier Gold benefits would be a nice bump up (particularly free E+ at booking).

The companion benefit also makes it much easier to travel with a companion who otherwise has no status. You no longer need to worry about being on the same PNR. This is particularly nice if you're Plat or higher, since that higher status transfers to the companion.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.3MM, Hyatt Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Depends what you want to get out of it. United Gold for Life, Companion status gifted to someone at the same address, higher earning power than general or Silver, Star Alliance Gold. Of course United reserves the right to chnage the program at any time so we could all be suckers. Your choice.

Or as Yoda said “If you end your training now — if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did — you will become an agent of evil.”
Old May 2, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I think it really depends upon (a) whether you're flying UA, and (b) whether you have a companion who could take advantage of it.

I earned mine at the time of the merger (I was at ~900K pre-merger, and when they added the extra stuff, I was >1M).

My wife enjoys the status periodically when she flies by herself (a couple of times a year).

If I was only flying UA a couple of times a year and didn't have a companion, I wouldn't bother with the MR. $5K buys you a lot of Premier Access and contract lounges.

Greg
Old May 2, 2016, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
@1K1998

Agree with others, unless you can take advantage of *G on UA or *A, not much point in MRing.

Oh, and you should be able to get your handle back. If you can't have it reset via email you used to use, why not contact administrator and see if they can reset it for you. Just one handle, BTW, using more than one is against ToS @:-)
Old May 2, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Same Here - benefits ripped away!

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:17 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 2, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyborg
Yeah, I had the same happen after decades of loyal flying on UA. I have no SO to match status, but that is another story which only rubs salt into the wound.

V/r,

-Cyborg
Doesn't have to be a SO and there is evidence they don't really check the address. So you could designate a friend.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're not actively flying UA, the only real benefit is *G.

If you're actively flying UA, but less than 50k per year, the Premier Gold benefits would be a nice bump up (particularly free E+ at booking).

The companion benefit also makes it much easier to travel with a companion who otherwise has no status. You no longer need to worry about being on the same PNR. This is particularly nice if you're Plat or higher, since that higher status transfers to the companion.
Totally. Having MM is quite important for us especially when my fiancé has to fly with her kettle friends. Once I cross the MM threshold, I would gift the status to my fiancé, because if she flies with her friends or even her parents, she can get maximum baggage allowance, E+, and *A lounge access if flying Y.

It is quite annoying when you have your SO said from 'yes, whatever you did to me was great to try to get an award flight even in Y' to 'Why the heck did I have the middle/normal seat but not the E+/Business class seat.' :/
Old May 4, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Is *G worth three mileage runs? I don't think so. I'm at 980K and I will get to the million mark when I get to it. Now, if doing three mileage runs will get to 1K, that's a different story because you will get the 6 globals and the person you designate will get 1K status, but without the globals. If you can find an inexpensive business class fare to Asia, remember that you now get double miles. For me, I avoid going to Asia in coach because of how long it is, so it might be worth it for you.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
If you can find an inexpensive business class fare to Asia, remember that you now get double miles.
While true for PQMs and for CO flyers pre-merger, ever since merger, lifetime miles are purely BIS (except for the 500-mile minimums).

I would agree that MM is not worth three quick Asia runs, but depending on OPs future flying plans, earning it earlier versus later may help. (For instance, flying 50K this year would earn OP *Gold anyways, if he/she met the PQD/waiver - so flying more this year would not help after that).
Old May 4, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by 1K1998
Little help needed because I've been away from UA for a few years (and pretty inactive on FlyerTalk -- Back in the day, I was PremEx2000 and ChicagoBound but forgot my passwords).

Quick question: I'm at 925,000 lifetime miles. I earned 1K the hard way (100+ segments back in the 1990s). And I did my share of mileage runs (with some of you, I might add), to Singapore, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Rio, etc. Now I'm considering biting the bullet and just doing three mileage runs to Singapore or similar. That, along with my other miles this year should get me over 1,000,000. But has UA devalued Million Miler status so much that even spending ~$2400 for these mileage runs doesn't make it worth it? Curious as to your thoughts? And are there rumors out there that UA will further devalue Million Miler status (or get rid of it altogether), such that if I don't do it this year, I might never get to do it (or it would be even less worth doing)?
Is it worth the MR's ?? About the only benefit I use as a MM is the status match. As a 1K that means something, as *G domestically ehh not so much.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:29 pm

MM Companion Timeline

Since I am already at 1MM, I am planning to gift the status to either my fiance or my parents. Looking at the date now, would it make sense for me to wait until July 1 to gift the status, so the companion can get until the end of next year to enjoy the status?

My planning is to get one of them to match my status, then by November 30 this year, I nominate another companion to match my status for next year. Does it work this way?

Please enlighten me if something is missing.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Since I am already at 1MM, I am planning to gift the status to either my fiance or my parents. Looking at the date now, would it make sense for me to wait until July 1 to gift the status, so the companion can get until the end of next year to enjoy the status?

My planning is to get one of them to match my status, then by November 30 this year, I nominate another companion to match my status for next year. Does it work this way?

Please enlighten me if something is missing.
It doesn't work that way. You can only have one gifted status companion at a time. You're trying to have two at the same time in 2017. At the end of the year, there is a window to change companions effective 2/1/17, but you'll never have two people with companion status concurrently.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It doesn't work that way. You can only have one gifted status companion at a time. You're trying to have two at the same time in 2017. At the end of the year, there is a window to change companions effective 2/1/17, but you'll never have two people with companion status concurrently.
Ouch. That's unfortunate. Just to try to understand the logistics of it. How about the Marriott Gold status with RewardsPlus? Let's say my companion cannot fly enough to keep 1K, but with the Marriott Gold still active, would he be getting UA Silver for next year?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Ouch. That's unfortunate. Just to try to understand the logistics of it. How about the Marriott Gold status with RewardsPlus? Let's say my companion cannot fly enough to keep 1K, but with the Marriott Gold still active, would he be getting UA Silver for next year?
I think they verify every March based on the UA/Marriott accounts. If he has enough nights for Marriott Gold, then he will get UA Silver.

Keep in mind with the SPG and Marriott merger, relationships (esp like the UA/Marriott one) could change and may not exist next year.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
If he has enough nights for Marriott Gold, then he will get UA Silver.
Marriott only gives UA Silver to their Platinum and Platinum Premier members. Marriott Golds do not get matched to any status level with United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.