Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If you're flying enough to think about making MM you're likely flying and earning at least Gold anyway.
Not anymore!
This changed for many with the recent announcements.

Probably not "many" enough to make a difference though.....we'll see...
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by narvik
You kidding? Simple answer: because it can save them $1.00.
No. The cheapest path to 1 MM is by spending $60,000 over a decade. No profit hungry executive is going to turn away $60K today for a benefit they don't have to pay out for 10 years!

If you feel UA is all about near-term greed, you should feel comfortable the MM program won't change. Oscar gets the dollars today, and Oscar 2.0 has to pay the benefits to MMs years down the road. It's probably the most secure FF benefit in UA's benefits portfolio.

So relax about the MM program...
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
The most obvious devaluation is simply to match DL and AA:

1MM: Lifetime Silver
2MM: Lifetime Gold
3MM: Lifetime Plat
4MM (Maybe): Lifetime 1K
No Lifetime GS

Then, they announce that they’re grandfathering people in at their current MM level, which essentially pushes the goalposts back for everybody without actually taking anything away. And the effect on their bottom line will be approximately zero.

Frankly, it’s likely that the only reason that they haven’t done this yet is that there are few enough MM flyers that it’s not worth the trouble.
I actually think that most “logical” downgrade that UA would make would be to kill the companion benefit. I hope they don’t, but it’s certainly one way to decrease the elite ranks.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
You guys are too funny. Do you grit your teeth driving under operpasses because you think they're going to fall on your head? . Here are the facts you've all stated:

1. There are very few MMs worldwide.
2. It materially influences your decision to fly UA.
3. It takes decades to achieve MM status.
4. If they diluted the MM program you would walk.

Now put yourselves in the shoes of a UA executive who is solely focused on earnings-per-share. Why would that person change the program given the facts above?
1, 2, and 4 all apply to Lifetime Club members. Did that stop them?
UA already downgraded 1MM when they removed RPUs and 2MM when they removed lifetime Club access. Do not be foolish enough to think they won't make changes going forward.

Lifetime 1K, lifetime GS, and companion status are things no competing airline offers. Only a matter of time until the bean counters rectify that.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
3 could also apply if it were re-written as “It took thousands upfront to purchase a Lifetime Club membership.”
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik
You kidding? Simple answer: because it can save them $1.00.
I disagree. The MM program if anything is a revenue generator. It’s aspirational and, among those motivated to pursue it, engenders loyalty. In my experience, most people don’t remain heavy travelers for their entire career, so it’s a way to keep some people devoted to United for a short period of time. I’m now confident that United won’t touch the MM program. If they do anything, it will be to raise the entry requirements, but I now no longer think that this barrier will change for at least a few years.
Flying Machine and new_places like this.

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SS255
I actually think that most “logical” downgrade that UA would make would be to kill the companion benefit. I hope they don’t, but it’s certainly one way to decrease the elite ranks.
Actually, the nomination feature creates a virtuous cycle. The nominee is now on the train seeking LT status so they can pass it on. Another member from which to extract $60K now, in exchange for some benefit that's the burden of some future management team...

MM program is a '3rd rail' program -- won't be touched.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MM program is a '3rd rail' program -- won't be touched.
I mean, no matter how many times people point out examples of changes they’ve made to the MM program, or to other programs that you’d think would behave the same way, you’re not going to believe what people are telling you, so there’s really no point in having this conversation.

I posted a very logical realignment that would match their competition and keep it an aspirational program. I’m not making any predictions, but nobody should be surprised if they implemented it, or something quite like it, as early as next year.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
UA already downgraded 1MM when they removed RPUs and 2MM when they removed lifetime Club access. Do not be foolish enough to think they won't make changes going forward.

Lifetime 1K, lifetime GS, and companion status are things no competing airline offers. Only a matter of time until the bean counters rectify that.
They may have removed some things, but they also added companion membership. Something was added other things were removed. Change can happen in both directions.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
So relax about the MM program...
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I disagree. The MM program if anything is a revenue generator.

Ah, well, to clarify: I was coming from a position of already having achieved 1MM on the way to 2MM, not from a position of less than 1MM.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I’m approaching million miler status. Will reach by end of this year if I push for it, otherwise next year for sure. I’ve been married a few years but spouse and I maintain separate households, separate addresses. Anyone have experience trying to give spouse with different mailing address companion benefits? A quick read of the relevant language seems to say it won’t be possible but a precise reading could certainly support granting this status to a spouse at a different address. My question is not about about statutory construction - my question is if anyone else has been in the same situation (married, separate addresses) and requested companion benefits and what the ultimate result was.

Here is the relevant verbiage: “A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information“
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by learnedpaw
I’m approaching million miler status. Will reach by end of this year if I push for it, otherwise next year for sure. I’ve been married a few years but spouse and I maintain separate households, separate addresses. Anyone have experience trying to give spouse with different mailing address companion benefits? A quick read of the relevant language seems to say it won’t be possible but a precise reading could certainly support granting this status to a spouse at a different address. My question is not about about statutory construction - my question is if anyone else has been in the same situation (married, separate addresses) and requested companion benefits and what the ultimate result was.

Here is the relevant verbiage: “A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information“
If you parse the sentence you can make a case that spouse qualifies regardless of address. Stop at the comma.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
If you parse the sentence you can make a case that spouse qualifies regardless of address. Stop at the comma.
UA isn't particularly good at grammar, especially when they choose to eschew the Oxford comma.

I agree with the interpretation -- after all, both a spouse or significant other are clearly "individuals," so there'd be no reason to call them out if they meant the address restriction to apply.

I seem to recall plenty of other examples of MM companions with different addresses, and UA never seemed to care.

That said, if it's that big of a concern, change one of the addresses to match the other. How often does UA mail you things anyway?
Xyzzy, DELee and 8MiHi like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
...I seem to recall plenty of other examples of MM companions with different addresses, and UA never seemed to care...
I'm one example. Twice naming companions w/ separate addresses.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:31 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm one example. Twice naming companions w/ separate addresses.
I wanted to give my 4MM status to my niece in a different state. I remember that in the way past it could only be given to someone at the same address. Then I read that some have given their status to a different address. So I called GS and MPCS and told them that I would love to give it to my niece at a different address but did not want to put my status or account at risk whatsoever. They said that it was okay now. That was three years ago.
Xyzzy and 8MiHi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.