Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
UA MM is why, once I've spent enough in a year to earn both GS and EP (= AA version of 1K), I direct all my remaining spending towards UA. AA's lifetime program won't let you earn anything higher than their status equivalent of UA G, and that's at 2 million miles (including fare class bonus). Having already attained that, there's nothing further for me to aspire to in their program. I was hoping they'd at least let you earn PP status (their UA Platinum equivalent) for life when they introduced it not long ago, but no. And that decision has nothing to do with OW: BA will let you earn their top status, and their alliance's top status, for life.

If AA were to change their mind on this, I would happily earn my way each year to CK (= AA version of GS). But I haven't heard any discussion of such a change. So for now UA gets the whole remainder.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
For one thing, they’ve already tampered with it, multiple times, and significantly. (1MM used to get RPUs; 2MM used to get lifetime UC access).
When I say they won't tamper with MM program, I mean they won't tamper with core, which is:

1M = LT Gold
2M = LT Plat
3M = LT 1K
4M = LT GS

The RPUs and Club were benefits over the core status benefit. All I'm saying is the core status benefit won't go away.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
When I say they won't tamper with MM program, I mean they won't tamper with core, which is:

1M = LT Gold
2M = LT Plat
3M = LT 1K
4M = LT GS

The RPUs and Club were benefits over the core status benefit. All I'm saying is the core status benefit won't go away.
They most certainly will tamper with that. Take it to the bank.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
They most certainly will tamper with that. Take it to the bank.
You're saying that based on emotion, not common sense. Each tier takes roughly a decade to achieve for heavy flyers. If they devalue it by 50%, it will take 15 years to achieve the lowest tier. No one will strive for that.

I believe the Marriotts of the world offer their highest tier after 10 years of heavy staying. UA won't and shouldn't touch this program.

Last edited by spartacusmcfly; Oct 26, 2019 at 6:29 pm
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
You're saying that based on emotion, not common sense. Each tier takes roughly a decade to achieve for heavy flyers. If they devalue it by 50%, it will take 15 years to achieve the lowest tier. No one will strive for that.

I believe the Marriott's of the world offer their highest tier after 10 years of heavy staying. UA won't and shouldn't touch this program.
Based on my "lifetime" Silver Wings membership, I wonder if UA and the others may decide it's no longer profitable to offer lifetime status.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Close to 1MM myself and will easily qualify for 1K next year (as well as cross 1MM). If the MM program changes, I'll gladly take half my business to DL and split 1K and DM in 2021. If they leave it the same, I'll likely continue to focus my flights on UA towards 2MM status.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The most obvious devaluation is simply to match DL and AA:

1MM: Lifetime Silver
2MM: Lifetime Gold
3MM: Lifetime Plat
4MM (Maybe): Lifetime 1K
No Lifetime GS

Then, they announce that they’re grandfathering people in at their current MM level, which essentially pushes the goalposts back for everybody without actually taking anything away. And the effect on their bottom line will be approximately zero.

Frankly, it’s likely that the only reason that they haven’t done this yet is that there are few enough MM flyers that it’s not worth the trouble.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by scracer14
Close to 1MM myself and will easily qualify for 1K next year (as well as cross 1MM). If the MM program changes, I'll gladly take half my business to DL and split 1K and DM in 2021. If they leave it the same, I'll likely continue to focus my flights on UA towards 2MM status.
This is exactly what management needs to remember when the beancounters say "downgrade the MM program." People will leave if they do.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
No Lifetime GS

Then, they announce that they’re grandfathering people in at their current MM level, which essentially pushes the goalposts back for everybody without actually taking anything away. And the effect on their bottom line will be approximately zero.

Frankly, it’s likely that the only reason that they haven’t done this yet is that there are few enough MM flyers that it’s not worth the trouble.
Pretty much exactly what I suspect.
Hovering around 1.65MM at the moment. With the recent announcements, I'll likely never even make 2MM, so definitely hope for the grandfathering you mention!
And at that point, if ever did make 2MM it will be worth precisely: zero!
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:46 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
When I spent thousands of my own dollars for Lifetime Club memberships for my wife and I, I was told I could use the club even if not flying UA. If UA can lie and take this away, they can, and will, take away as much as they can get away with. I buy primarily first class tickets and I no longer favor UA. Whoever is cheapest, I buy.
ctownflyer and narvik like this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:51 am

You guys are too funny. Do you grit your teeth driving under operpasses because you think they're going to fall on your head? . Here are the facts you've all stated:

1. There are very few MMs worldwide.
2. It materially influences your decision to fly UA.
3. It takes decades to achieve MM status.
4. If they diluted the MM program you would walk.

Now put yourselves in the shoes of a UA executive who is solely focused on earnings-per-share. Why would that person change the program given the facts above?
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Why would that person change the program given the facts above?
You kidding? Simple answer: because it can save them $1.00.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

I don't see UA changing the MileagePlus levels that line up with MM status. The program seems to me to be working pretty well fr them. If you're flying enough to think about making MM you're likely flying and earning at least Gold anyway.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan
When I spent thousands of my own dollars for Lifetime Club memberships for my wife and I, I was told I could use the club even if not flying UA. If UA can lie and take this away, they can, and will, take away as much as they can get away with. I buy primarily first class tickets and I no longer favor UA. Whoever is cheapest, I buy.
If you bought a Chevy and it had a button on the dashboard to find the nearest Ford dealer, it is reasonable to assume Chevy would disable that button at some point. Button has now been disabled so get the heck out of the massively overcrowded Club, or direct your F dollar towards UA and join us in the Club.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
The most obvious devaluation is simply to match DL and AA:

No Lifetime GS
I don't know DL's program, but are these status levels based on only BIS flying or do partner flights count? I believe AA's program gives you credit for all (or perhaps most) partner flights.

pmUA lifetime program was based on BIS only; when the combined UA and CO programs were sorted out, there was a one-time bump for non-BIS credits, then it reverted back to BIS only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.