Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 25, 19, 1:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Million Miler program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights.
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles

There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

Related threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]

Million Miler companion benefit
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 1, 12, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileageplus

I never paid attention to the Lifetime Miles figure even though I have been a MP member for 15 years now. I am puzzled by the numbers I see:

Award Miles = 496K
Lifetime flight Miles = 631K (and it says that UA has applied the adjustments on 31st Dec to align with Continental)

I accrue miles mainly on my Chase MP credit card and most of my flights are on Lufthansa. I can remember that I have purchased 16 international tickets using these miles so far using 1040K miles (since they are for international holiday trips, I remember them accurately).

So, shouldn't the Lifetime miles = 496K + 1040K ?

I couldn't find a post that explains the calculations of lifetime miles. Is it because ONLY UA flights counted towards the lifetime miles and not Lufthansa miles?
Old Mar 1, 12, 1:08 am

Short Answer: Lifetime status is essentially about miles flown, not miles earned. (This is the prevalent idea for just about every lifetime frequent flyer program with the exception of American.)

Long Answer: It's elite qualifying miles prior to 1/1/12, and only UA/CO revenue base flight miles (with 500 mile minimum per flight) since then.

Things that do not count:
-credit card miles
-class of service bonus reedemable miles
-elite bonus miles
-miles flown on award flights
-(past 1/1/12) partner flight miles
-(past 1/1/12) 50% EQM bonus for booking full fare/premium cabin revenue tickets (or any other EQM bonus)

Last edited by okrogius; Mar 1, 12 at 1:19 am
Old Mar 1, 12, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Ouch! There is no way I can get the million mile goal with these changes.
Old Mar 1, 12, 1:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Prior to 30 Dec 2011, UA used only BIS miles on UA/UX & CO in 2011.
On 31 Dec 2011, UA added the following (to equalize with CO's metric)
Additional EQM will include any other EQM earning that counted toward a member's elite status in previous years:
•EQM earned from flights on Star Alliance airline partners (beginning on the date the partner entered the Star Alliance)
•EQM earned from class-of-service bonuses
•EQM earned from activity with specific Chase Credit Cards
•EQM from certain promotional offers, such as Double EQM or Purchase EQM
The following were not counted in either the original lifetime balance or in the recalculation:
•Redeemable/award miles from credit card spend or hotel, car or retail partners
•Purchase Miles, Gift Miles, Transfer Miles or Reward Miles
•Bonus redeemable/award miles earned on flights, including elite bonus miles
•Bonus redeemable/award miles from promotional offers
•Base redeemable/award miles from non-Star Alliance airline partners
•Redeemable/award miles earned from class-of-service bonuses
Since January 1, 2012, any flight miles you earn on the new United (including Continental), Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Colombia have been crediting to your lifetime miles balance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 1, 12 at 1:42 am Reason: forgot about Copa
Old Mar 1, 12, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks okrogius and WineCountryUA for clear answers. I think we will be using "beam me up, Scotty" before I earn million miles!
Old Mar 1, 12, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by caljones View Post
Ouch! There is no way I can get the million mile goal with these changes.
FWIW, the "changes" actually almost certainly increased your balance rather than decreasing it. Previously your balance only reflected butt-in-seat miles on UA metal. The updates added class of service bonuses, DEQM/TEQM bonuses, partner EQMs and any other EQMs you might have earnt over the years to your account as a one-time adjustment.

And now we're back to BIS-only.
Old Mar 1, 12, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
And now we're back to BIS-only.
^
Old Mar 1, 12, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
FWIW, the "changes" actually almost certainly increased your balance rather than decreasing it.
Of course that's true, but I suspect the OP meant he/she can't get to MM status with the changes being "back to BIS".

Dave
Old Jun 19, 12, 9:59 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
Thumbs down Lifetime flight miles - Didn't realize 2012 changes

Hi all,

I used to fly the old Continental religiously, after the merger due to United raising fares on certain routes I have been splitting time between United and US Air.

Last week I noticed my lifetime flight miles have not been going up... Upon reviewing the program details for the "New United" lifetime flight miles I noticed "Starting January 1, 2012, flight miles on United and Copa accrue toward Million Miler status."

Hmmm, any comments. Apparently spending 15k a year on tickets with United and 5 to 10k on partner airlines isn't enough.
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
How is it a scam to only count miles flown on that airline's metal toward your lifetime miles?
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
well, ya know, it is basing your million miles on the airline that your ff programme is from.
For the record this was communicated last year. Everyone got an adjustment made for the old ua side to more closely align to the old co setup. The current policy is based from the old ua.

Also, welcome to flyertalk!
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:09 pm

COPA???

Hi,

Thank you both for the replies. The part I left out is that it does not seem to credit their regional carriers either. I know they are technically not United "metal" but the ticket is fully processed through United. I don't think you can buy a ticket from Republic, Chitaqua (spelling) or any of their other regional carriers to get to Chicago and then out...

Old Jun 19, 12, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sutcliffe31 View Post
Hi,

Thank you both for the replies. The part I left out is that it does not seem to credit their regional carriers either. I know they are technically not United "metal" but the ticket is fully processed through United. I don't think you can buy a ticket from Republic, Chitaqua (spelling) or any of their other regional carriers to get to Chicago and then out...

as long as the regional flight is booked with a UA flight# it counts towards the MM status. At least mine has been including last Thurs flight which was 500 instead of the actual 81 that was flown

could be if the regional flight is purcahsed say from USAir with a US tkt# then maybe it wont count, cant help you there since I only purchase from United.com
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sutcliffe31 View Post
Hi,

Funny you write confused but decided your first post would have all caps headlines with a . And on something that was clear on day one of the new MP plan. Oh and btw they do give lifetime credit on regionals.
Old Jun 19, 12, 10:17 pm

Is there a way to see the flight segment credits? The thing that caught my attention was that I've flown about 80K eqms this year but my lifetime flight miles have only gone up by about 30k this year...

I've flown about 20k of these on US Air, that still leaves a 30k discrepancy.

Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: