Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Money + Miles - The perfect pair to get you there

What is Money + Miles?
Sometimes you may not have enough miles for an award trip. That’s why we created a new way to pay for flights. With Money + Miles, you can pay for part of your flight using the miles in your MileagePlus account and cover the rest of the cost using money. You can still use miles to book an award trip, but now you have more flexibility with how you can use them.

Early 2020, UA is offering a conversion for miles at 1 cpm

Can you change the Money + Miles ticket?
Changes to a ticket paid for with Money + Miles are only permitted in accordance with the fare rules of the ticket purchased. Some types of fares do not allow changes. For fares that permit changes:

If the new ticket price is higher, the difference will be collected in money
If the new ticket price is lower, the residual value will be issued as a future flight credit

Please note, in cases where residual is due and future flight credit is issued, a portion of miles from the original ticket are applied to the future flight credit as money.

MileagePlus members can’t change flights within the 24-hour flexible booking period; the member must cancel the itinerary and make a new booking.

Can you cancel a Money + Miles ticket?
You can cancel any flight purchase for free and receive a refund, including those paid for with Money + Miles, within the first 24 hours of booking in accordance with our 24-hour flexible booking policy. Within 24 hours, your refund will be applied in the original form of payment. If the cancellation occurs after the 24-hour flexible booking policy window, the cancellation must be in accordance with the ticket fare rules. The value of your ticket may be issued as a future flight credit. The mileage portion of a Money + Miles purchase is a form of payment for refund purposes.

Can you use Money + Miles for any ticket?
Money + Miles is not available as a payment option on all United fares.

Can you upgrade?
Yes, but it depends on the flight’s fare rules and the type of upgrade. Complimentary Premier Upgrades, PlusPoints, and premium cabin upsell offers are eligible. MileagePlus Upgrade Awards are ineligible.

Is the ticket mileage earning?
Yes, but only on the portion of the base fare paid with money, excluding taxes and fees. Redeemable miles are only earned on flown tickets. Earning redeemable miles on other airline loyalty programs is not available.

Additional accrual details:
  • Premier qualifying points (PQP) are based on the cash portion of the base fare paid. In 2023 the mileage used should be available for PQPs --1 PQP per 100 RDMs
  • Premier qualifying flights (PQF) are based on the segments flown; 1 per segment flown on eligible itineraries.
  • Minimum qualifying segments are based on the segments flown; 1 per segment flown.
Lifetime miles apply to the entire flown itinerary.

Can you book partner flights?
Not at this time. If you want to change your flight and originally paid for it with Money + Miles, you’ll only be able to choose from flights on United or United Express®
Update 2024 -- appears certain partners / codeshares may now be eligible.

Are these tickets SDC eligible?
Yes

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I am trying to book award travel using the "Money and Miles" option.

Am i missing something?

All it does is take me to the booking screen(s) where, I can book with Miles (one check box), or Money (another check box)

I know there used to be a booking option where you could pay a fairly reasonable price and some points (less than you would normally pay) and get an award ticket that way - it would also accumulate miles

Last edited by caseminole; Jan 30, 2022 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like you book a flight normally and then select 'money and miles " on payment page. I didn't go through the whole process - but here's the instructions:

Money + Miles | United Airlines

Edit: tried booking both cash and award tickets and neither payment screen provided money and miles option. Whis was on desktop - maybe UA app works?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 29, 2022 at 8:26 pm
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
I am trying to book award travel using the "Money and Miles" option....
It is not an award, this is a "normal" cash purchase where the miles are part of the payment -- 1 cpm. Note the earning is only on the cash portion of the payment.

Originally Posted by caseminole
I know there used to be a booking option where you could pay a fairly reasonable price and some points (less than you would normally pay) and get an award ticket that way - it would also accumulate miles
This is not the same as the pmUA award option where the cash effectively was used to purchase miles. And those were not mileage earning tickets.

So the new approach is better but for those with credit card miles -- a Choice Points purchase is better because you earn on the entire ticket price.
caseminole likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2022 at 9:27 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is not an award, this is a "normal" cash purchase where the miles are part of the payment -- 1 cpm. Note the earning is only on the cash portion of the payment.

This is not thsame as the pmUA award option were the cash effectively was used to purchase miles. And those were not mileage earning tickets.

So the new approach is better but for those with credit card miles -- a Choice Points purchase is better because you earn on the entire ticket price.
probably.

IME, any miles and money fares I’ve seen (DL used to offer these, I think..maybe they still do) are pretty bad value. At least for hotels, when Marriott does it, it is split up by night, and is the same price per night (though without the ability to use discounted rates like AAA, etc).

also, much easier to award miles now vs. when PMUA did this. Back then, miles were based on…well….actual mileage, so splitting up would have been possible, sure, but more complicated and less transparent. With PQP based on $, much easier and more transparent to be able to allow the accrual on the part of the price being paid in cash only.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:59 pm

Money + Miles Gone?!

I don't think my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it seems that the Money+Miles feature is gone from the website and mobile app. I was just using it a couple of days ago, planning a flight in November.
​​​​​​
Is it possible that it's been removed? Or that it applies to just certain flights?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by b2g.travel
I don't think my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it seems that the Money+Miles feature is gone from the website and mobile app. I was just using it a couple of days ago, planning a flight in November.
​​​​​​
Is it possible that it's been removed? Or that it applies to just certain flights?
This has been brought up recently. Apparently, one books a ticket and the money/miles option is available on the payment page.

Edit: But I don't see the option. The terms and conditions still mention the option on the payment page:

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 8, 2022 at 9:52 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:40 pm

I understand, and the other day (Sunday?) I was able to play with the slider and everything worked fine. Today, when I selected Money as the payment option and selected my flights, the Money+Miles option was not there. It was the "regular" payment screen. I also tried this on the mobile app. I even tried clicking on the various advertisements UAL has for Money+Miles, with the same results. Lastly, I tried selecting Miles as the payment option and selected my flights (which is NOT supposed to work), and that didn't provide option either.

So, would appreciate if anyone has gotten it to work today. Else, I'm thinking perhaps it was disabled because they're working on something.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
united.com is having issues, Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues

=====================
All is back working, including Money + Miles

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So I have never seen this before but I was able to book a flight using miles and payment. Essentially part payment with miles and part payment with $. There was a limit on the miles that could be used.

I do not need the PQP but I would like the BIS credit for MM status. Does the flight count for that? TIA

If not, I could just cancel and use miles as there are saver awards available for the flights

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Jun 30, 2022 at 3:25 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

I do not need the PQP but I would like the BIS credit for MM status. Does the flight count for that?
From the T&Cs
Accrual details:
  1. Premier qualifying points (PQP) are based on the cash portion of the base fare paid.
  2. Premier qualifying flights (PQF) are based on the segments flown if the ticket is eligible; 1 per segment flown.
  3. Minimum qualifying segments are based on the segments flown; 1 per segment flown if the ticket is eligible.
  4. Lifetime miles apply to the entire flown itinerary.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I’m somewhat confused. This is the first I’m hearing about this (it was posted in another thread as a reference)

If you wanted to use an award ticket but you have substantial mileage in your account, However you wanted to accrue BIS lifetime mileage. Is there a way of partially paying a small amount under this program and utilize the mileage for the majority? I read the wiki back I’m not catching it..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 15, 2022 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I’m somewhat confused. This is the first I’m hearing about this open parentheses it was posted in another thread as a reference)

If you wanted to use an award ticket but you have substantial mileage in your account, However you wanted to accrue BIS lifetime mileage. Is there a way of partially paying a small amount under this program and utilize the mileage for the majority? I read the wiki back I’m not catching it..
I find it is not always offered and mileage portion can not be 100% but can be a significant amount
The mileage is credited at 1 cpm. You can select the amount you want as miles.
You earn 100% lifetime but prorated PQPs
Only nonrefundable

Because of the prorated PQPs, if a Chase MP card holder, consider Choice Points statement credit which is also 1 cpm but 100% PQPs. And you can statement credit 100% of the ticket. Can be a refundable ticket and the statement credit remains on refund.

1 cpm is not great at all but it is using miles that earn status / RDMs and lifetime credit.

Either option is upgradeable and SDC eligible
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2022 at 1:02 pm Reason: You can select the amount you want as miles.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:53 am

Money and Miles Multistop Business

Trying to book multistop business for wife and I Chicago via Frankfurt to Cairo and back via Montreal, since for end of May it is a good deal (less than premium economy) but when I go to pay I do not have the option of Money and Miles. Yes, I understand this might not be the best use of points but sitting on 140,000 and thought this might be a good way to bring the $ amount down.

Tried a dummy booking economy Chicago to San Fran and it showed up. Tried to read the rules and I don't see anything about restrictions. Would calling do anything?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
This is addressed in the Money + Miles FAQ

Can I use Money + Miles to book a flight on a partner airline?
Not at this time. If you want to change your flight and originally paid for it with Money + Miles, you’ll only be able to choose from flights on United or United Express®.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:11 am

Thank you. Had to scroll but I think I found the answer:

Can I use Money + Miles to pay for any flight?

Money + Miles is not available as a payment option on all United fares.

As well as what your posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.