Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
To register a companion www.united.com/MMcompanion or https://promo.united.com/offers/mmcomp

First companion choice selection becomes effective immediately. Changing companion must be done before end of November and takes effect in the first week of January. You can have only 1 designated MM companion. If you don't make a change, the previously selected companion will remain in place.
While rules suggests the companion has to reside at the same address as elite, in practice, neither same address or same last name is needed (UA may be tighten this up starting in late 2022)
The companion has all the same privileges / status as the MM elite but will not receive PlusPoints (before 2020 RPUs or GPUs) based on the companion status.

Companion eligibility:
  1. A companion is defined as a spouse, significant other or individual who resides at same home address, based on MileagePlus profile information.
  2. Your companion must be an enrolled member of the MileagePlus program under his or her own name and may not already be the companion of another Million Miler.
  3. The companion benefit is awarded on an annual basis and is nontransferable.
  4. Your companion will receive his or her own individual Premier credentials and does not need to travel with you to enjoy the benefits of the Premier level awarded.
  5. Your designated companion will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise by November 30 of the current year.
  6. You may change the companion on your account; however the change will not be in effect until January 1 of the following year. All change requests must be made by November 30 (for changes to existing companion nominations) or December 30 (for first-time nominations) to be effective for the following year. MileagePlus will not be able to accept changes to existing companion nominations during the month of December.
See UA Million Miler program web page for more

Relevant thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Archive thread: Million Miler companion benefit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Million Miler companion benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Question Million Miler companion benefit

Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect? I changed from my daughter to my son for this year (and searching my email, I see I did that on Nov. 4), and his status update has still not happened.

Since we were flying on 1/1 (and again today on 1/2), I wrote to 1kvoice to try to get it sorted, but received an utterly unhelpful form-letter-type response back (along the lines of "if you are having trouble with a booking, please call 1-800..."). I'm trying to decide if I should call in about it or wait for a bit. The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mechteach
Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect?
.... The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!
The first week or two has been the practice in the past and not 1st January.
mechteach likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone changed companions, and had it take a few days into the new year to take effect? I changed from my daughter to my son for this year (and searching my email, I see I did that on Nov. 4), and his status update has still not happened.

Since we were flying on 1/1 (and again today on 1/2), I wrote to 1kvoice to try to get it sorted, but received an utterly unhelpful form-letter-type response back (along the lines of "if you are having trouble with a booking, please call 1-800..."). I'm trying to decide if I should call in about it or wait for a bit. The MM companion website says the change will be made in the "first week of January," so I'm happy to wait, but I don't to wait and then have them say I've taken too long to let them know about the error!
...and you might have to call when MileagePlus center is open, because 1K agents can't do anything in that respect - they have to get in touch w/ MP service center, which (I believe) isn't staffed 24 hours/day. Just looked - they claim they're staffed 7am-midnight 7 days a week, but not sure how Covid might have affected their response time / staffing. I'm thinking a lot of them can work from home.
uanj and mechteach like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 2, 2022 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The first week or two has been the practice in the past and not 1st January.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
...and you might have to call when MileagePlus center is open, because 1K agents can't do anything in that respect - they have to get in touch w/ MP service center, which (I believe) isn't staffed 24 hours/day. Just looked - they claim they're staffed 7am-midnight 7 days a week, but not sure how Covid might have affected their response time / staffing. I'm thinking a lot of them can work from home.
Thanks to both of you, for the reassurance and the info on where to direct my query. That's very helpful! I'm stateside again for a while, so it will be easier to call during normal US business hours if nothing changes in a week or so!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

I called in October to change my companion from one son to another. I then called late November to reconfirm that the switch is indeed in the system. As of today, the switch has not happened. I assume it will be next week.
mechteach likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I switch MM companions every year or so. I feel like the switch usually takes place around Jan 5 or 6.
mechteach and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:29 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;

I had a problem with this yesterday when my newly designated companion did not have status for a flight from SNA - IAH.. I called and after a half hour on the phone where the agent called MP, it turns out that there is a systemwide IT problem with making the change and they are hoping to have it resolved by the end of the week... little consolation for travelers during this first week of January...
mechteach likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Buzzman
.. little consolation for travelers during this first week of January...
UA does warn about this
Yes, any change to your companion must be completed by November 30 of the preceding year and will take effect the following calendar year (during the first week of January).
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Just checked, and the status just updated. Phew. They also changed the mileage multiplier for our flights on 1/1 and 1/2 to the 1k level for him, so all it "cost" us is my giving him my free snackbox. ;-)
Flying Machine and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Just checked, and the status just updated. Phew. They also changed the mileage multiplier for our flights on 1/1 and 1/2 to the 1k level for him, so all it "cost" us is my giving him my free snackbox. ;-)
mechteach likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:47 am

I just made 1MM as a 1K and United is saying that my companion does not get plus points unless they earn them on their own. Have others experienced this?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
I just made 1MM as a 1K and United is saying that my companion does not get plus points unless they earn them on their own. Have others experienced this?
That has been my experience. They only get the same Mileage Plus status I earned. To get plus points, they would have to fly to earn them.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
That is correct. No plus points for companions unless they earn them via their own flying. It's always been that way. You're welcome to share yours with your companion
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 9:53 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Correct, no +P for companions.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
How soon does the spouse get the status of MM

I am within 2k miles of my million miler status and hope to achieve the milestone next week. My spouse has a trip planned a week later. How soon does United award the status to the spouse ( or the person you nominate) ? She has a long international flight and wouldn't mind being able to check in at the GS lobby in Chicago all by herself 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.