Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by weero
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Understand the concerns of folks over the change of lifetime benefits. I think the airlines are too smart to outright cancel a lifetime status or retro actively placing new requirements..
I'd have 100% agreed with you but in this case, this clearly happened. ...
LT Status was not given and then taken in the AA/US case -- the miles that might have been used to gain LT status on the new AA/US program were lost - not even clear if OP would have enough yet with the older miles. A different set of circumstances -- still undesirable.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by JetAway
Lifetime status (as of now) means you have that status for life without having to do anything--no bis, no segments, nothing. Same for your companion.
For now. I am confident that there are active discussions in Willis Tower about how to devalue MM status since we represent an obvious "overentitlement" to the airline-in many cases, the majority of contributions to the airline's revenue in the past and now only taking advantage of the benefits.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by luckypierre
For now. I am confident that there are active discussions in Willis Tower about how to devalue MM status since we represent an obvious "overentitlement" to the airline-in many cases, the majority of contributions to the airline's revenue in the past and now only taking advantage of the benefits.
I'm enjoying lounge access on international *A flights while I have it.

Now that UA has established twice in court (Million Miler and Silver Wings lawsuits) that they can remove "lifetime" benefits with impunity, lounge access on international flights could be next on the chopping block.

Visits to other airline lounges cost UA money, and incremental restrictions such as access only when on UA metal or access only to UA lounges would save them money. Alternatively, they could just cancel it as a benefit. It's worth taking a little heat to improve your bottom line and they'd still have a few defenders in any event.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
LT Status was not given..
Good point on the status vs the accrued lifetime miles. SQ and CX customers got shafted in comparable manners.
..A different set of circumstances -- still undesirable.
Yup. At this stage it isn't more than a not-so-steep slippery slope. Still if it happens chez AA, worse things may grow @UA.
..since we represent an obvious "overentitlement"..
Hence my concerns. Any loophole - and be it ever so bizarre - would be most welcome to exploit.
Originally Posted by Fredd
..Visits to other airline lounges cost UA money, and incremental restrictions such as access only when on UA metal or access only to UA lounges would save them money. Alternatively, they could just cancel it as a benefit.
While certainly the goal, like WineCountryUA, I believe that they will take a slight detour. An easy move that solves more than one issue is to devalue the Gold status per se - offering the same *A lounge benefit as on domestic route aka as none.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I waver between something on the revenue side-you gotta keep flying us to maintain your MM benefits-to something more draconian on the benefit side-too many 1MM members- so we are going to knock everyone down a notch and eliminate that category.

Unfortunately, the MM devaluation early in the merger (at that point in combining two large enterprises some might say they had larger fish to fry) points to the latter. Club access-one of my largest uses of the MM benefit-would be a straightforward devaluation.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:53 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I waver between something on the revenue side-you gotta keep flying us to maintain your MM benefits-to something more draconian on the benefit side-too many 1MM members- so we are going to knock everyone down a notch and eliminate that category.

Unfortunately, the MM devaluation early in the merger (at that point in combining two large enterprises some might say they had larger fish to fry) points to the latter. Club access-one of my largest uses of the MM benefit-would be a straightforward devaluation.
Had the issue with 2mm that was the year that I had to get 2MM to qualify to get lifetime UC. Made it by 30 miles with a December mileage run.

Regarding the loss of club on international legs - as long as they keep the status that it is equivalent to *G then it should not disappear as it is a reciprocal *A benefit.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
..."as long as they keep the status that it is equivalent to *G then it should not disappear as it is a reciprocal *A benefit..."
And if they don't it will.

Remember a UA Insider announcement in 2011:

"Here are the new lifetime benefits..."
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..Club access-one of my largest uses of the MM benefit-would be a straightforward devaluation.
That isn't all that easy to implement. Active golds have no domestic club access at this stage and not allowing them into *A clubs requires withdrawing the *Gold membership and either case it requires the abdication of a clear promise.

And as this affect many foreign MMs, it may bring UA in the unwanted water of foreign jurisdiction. I am quite sure they don't want to test this in the UK or France.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Imagine...

Imagine a day when Million Miler status (especially multi-million) would actually help someone get a meal choice in first class).....
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Come now...that's approaching fantasy island!

Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: 1k
Beef or chicken aren't choices?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SuiteFlyer
Imagine a day when Million Miler status (especially multi-million) would actually help someone get a meal choice in first class).....
The only multi-MM level you're referring to must be 2MM, because 3MM is 1K and is due meal choice.

MM status, in itself, is not an indicator of current value to UA.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 3, 2015 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
MM status, in itself, is not an indicator of current value to UA.
Correct. It's an indicator of past, and likely expired, value to UA.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:09 pm

Million Miler Worth It? Devaluation? MR Considered

Little help needed because I've been away from UA for a few years (and pretty inactive on FlyerTalk -- Back in the day, I was PremEx2000 and ChicagoBound but forgot my passwords).

Quick question: I'm at 925,000 lifetime miles. I earned 1K the hard way (100+ segments back in the 1990s). And I did my share of mileage runs (with some of you, I might add), to Singapore, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Rio, etc. Now I'm considering biting the bullet and just doing three mileage runs to Singapore or similar. That, along with my other miles this year should get me over 1,000,000. But has UA devalued Million Miler status so much that even spending ~$2400 for these mileage runs doesn't make it worth it? Curious as to your thoughts? And are there rumors out there that UA will further devalue Million Miler status (or get rid of it altogether), such that if I don't do it this year, I might never get to do it (or it would be even less worth doing)?
Old May 2, 2016, 1:24 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I worked had to get my 1MM status,

Then UA sold out and ripped away some promised benefits.

After a number of additional mistreatments, I avoid UA now.

I only redeem my MP miles now on other carriers that treat their PAX with respect.

To me, the MM status is useless. I already get lounge access with Business Class awards. My wife couldn't care less about her matched Gold "status".

You will need to decide for yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.