Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
In case someone is curious how long it takes for your companion status to change - my flight miles posted today to put me over MM - I nominated my companion and within an hour her status had changed. ^. And unlike wTigerFF, it showed 1K correctly.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: United
Getting Million Miler during a flight, anything special?

Hi,

I am really close to getting my million miller on United. Anyone knows if they do something special for you on the flight that you get it?

I think I read somewhere that the Captain printed out the log of all his flights when he got it and congratulated him.. but that was some time ago.

It would be nice
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, leslieng99
Originally Posted by leslieng99
Hi,

I am really close to getting my million miller on United. Anyone knows if they do something special for you on the flight that you get it?

I think I read somewhere that the Captain printed out the log of all his flights when he got it and congratulated him.. but that was some time ago.

It would be nice
Generally speaking the crew has no idea you will be hitting MM on their flight. If you mention it to a FA on boarding and ask where will we be at xxx miles into the flight, you might get acknowledgement -- but formal recognition is not SOP. But generally flight crews will try to do something.

When you hit the points, post it in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ll-thread.html. BTW, you can read there what others did on their MM flight.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Hi,

It would be nice
When I got mine about 20 months ago, I calculated the distance from the destination airport approximately where the millionth mile would occur. I then mapped it using map radius tool at

obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/

I was flying in F from SNA to ORD and the point was around Des Moines, IA. I mentioned it to the flight attendant, who smiled and congratulated me, but that's about all that happened. I think this is a bigger deal for the customer than for the airline. A few weeks later they did send a small Lucite square desk display with a printed card inside.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:03 pm

Really nice pilot

I just crossed 1MM about a month ago. In preparation, I typed up a nice letter with my appreciation to UA over all of these years, and a expliantion that I was going to cross the threshold during the flight (SFO-KOA). I included my exact balance prior to the flight. Being an airplane geek, I asked that any information about my crossover would be appreciated.

Upon embarkation, I chatted to the FA about this and handed her the letter and asked kindly if she could pass the request to the pilot. Nearing the end of the flight the FA came back and handed me some paper. Included was a thank you note from the pilot, plus two navigation charts. One was the entire flight path with an "x" marking the crossover point + one more zoomed in map also with an "x". On it was the exact zulu time + lat/lon + distance from some navigation point. It was beyond what I was hoping for, and even my wife, who normally rolls her eyes at my airplane geekyness, thought it was really cool.

I agree that I don't think anyone on the plane will know you are crossing over 1MM unless you inform them. Obviously, what happens is highly dependent on the pilot and FA, but it never hurts to ask.

Good luck
Ploo
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:36 pm

? requirements to maintain continuing Platinum status

Hi,
I am a 2 Million Miler flier and currently MP Platinum.
Next year, it will be unlikely that I will be doing 4 segments on UA metal.
Does this affect my status or does it continue the same ? ( assuming no rule changes of course)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You'll remain plat, unless they change the MM program again.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:42 pm

Hi,

It would be nice
I was on a flight not too long ago from Frankfurt back to the USA and the pilot came on announcing that a GS flyer in the 1st cabin reached 1 million miles. They brought a cake out for her. I happened to be in 1st that day and witnessed it. Pretty cool. I'm a GS and just passed through 3 million miles. I really thought they would say or do something...but nothing. Apparently you have to say something or let people know. It was a let down in some ways but you don't want to go tooting your horn. It's good to have the other benefits and UA has been very very good to me. Happy trails.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:26 am

Question to those with experience: As a 3MM we are entitled to 6 Globals per year in January. But do you get them if you already flew the 100K the previous year and got 6 during the course of the previous year? In other words do you get 12 per year now for flying 100K?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by petesham
Question to those with experience: As a 3MM we are entitled to 6 Globals per year in January. But do you get them if you already flew the 100K the previous year and got 6 during the course of the previous year? In other words do you get 12 per year now for flying 100K?
No
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
I was on a flight not too long ago from Frankfurt back to the USA and the pilot came on announcing that a GS flyer in the 1st cabin reached 1 million miles. They brought a cake out for her. I happened to be in 1st that day and witnessed it. Pretty cool. I'm a GS and just passed through 3 million miles. I really thought they would say or do something...but nothing. Apparently you have to say something or let people know. It was a let down in some ways but you don't want to go tooting your horn. It's good to have the other benefits and UA has been very very good to me. Happy trails.
Agreed, I just passed 2 million on a flight last week SFO-IAH; the only acknowledgement has been on the UA website.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo
Agreed, I just passed 2 million on a flight last week SFO-IAH; the only acknowledgement has been on the UA website.
Think it's personal preference, I'd prefer to lay low. I think about the scene from "Up In The Air" when George Clooney gets the 10 million mile card, very uncomfortable.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:48 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Allegedly, the new iPhones for FAs will tell the crew who on the flight will hit significant milestones during the flight, including MM, upgrade/renewal of status, anniversary, etc.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Think it's personal preference, I'd prefer to lay low. I think about the scene from "Up In The Air" when George Clooney gets the 10 million mile card, very uncomfortable.
Indeed. Ill crack 4M if I stay on pace this year, even with little travel in Q4. I just as soon not think about time away from home, let alone advertise it to others.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Tall Paul
In case someone is curious how long it takes for your companion status to change - my flight miles posted today to put me over MM - I nominated my companion and within an hour her status had changed. ^. And unlike wTigerFF, it showed 1K correctly.
Being single I have never nominated a SO. Do they get GPUs? If so, maybe I can get a date! ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.