Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
2MM Re-qualification for 2017?

HI all, question. I checked the Wiki and couldn't find an answer. I am a former GS, who was given an easy landing to 1K this year. I may not make 4 flight segments this year due to economy and the fact that I will be out of traveling later this year due to a medical procedure. I am a 2MM, so should land at Platinum for 2017. What I can't seem to determine is there a minimum number of "something", i.e. PQD or PQS, I need to make to ensure that Platinum elite status due to my lifetime mileage? I won't be making any elite status this year with my BIS, only by my historical 2MM status. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
There is no flying required for lifetime status. Enjoy platinum for 2017.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ErgoTraveler
HI all, question. I checked the Wiki and couldn't find an answer. I am a former GS, who was given an easy landing to 1K this year. I may not make 4 flight segments this year due to economy and the fact that I will be out of traveling later this year due to a medical procedure. I am a 2MM, so should land at Platinum for 2017. What I can't seem to determine is there a minimum number of "something", i.e. PQD or PQS, I need to make to ensure that Platinum elite status due to my lifetime mileage? I won't be making any elite status this year with my BIS, only by my historical 2MM status. Thanks in advance.
The minimum segments are only required for status above your MM-conferred status. In this case, you'll have Platinum for 2017.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Does one need PQD minimum as a 2MMer?

As a 2 million miler, If I earn 75,000 PQM's but just a couple of thousand PQD's, will I earn confirmed upgrades in addition to The upgrades I would receive anyway as a platinum?

( do 2 million miler platinum's receive them each year anyway?)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Edited: Misread. I strongly suspect from what I've read that you do earn each year and by "earning" Plat you don't earn duplicate upgrades. Will wait for a 2MM to confirm.

Edited again: The Million Mile Wiki pointed to this clarification post in the very first bullet point:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Given that there are some questions out there, I wanted to provide some clarification on this topic. All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria. Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Bolding mine. So yes - go ahead and earn the RPU's, but then you don't get the lifetime RPU's. It's all the same in the end!

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Aug 31, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
.... ( do 2 million miler platinum's receive them each year anyway?)
As mentioned, if not otherwise earned by meeting the annual Plat thresholds, 2MMers with receive 2 RPUs -- this typically occur early in the next year (first couple weeks of January). So the only advantage of earning the RPUs the old fashioned way is earlier availability.

To the other question -- there is no PQD waiver for MMers / no head start either for earning higher status.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2016 at 3:17 pm Reason: other question
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I expect to hit 1MM by end of the year, but with about 47K EQM for 2016.
If I understand correctly, there's really no point in chasing Gold this year (or any other year) unless I think can get to Platinum or 1K right?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jeebus
If I understand correctly, there's really no point in chasing Gold this year (or any other year) unless I think can get to Platinum or 1K right?
Yeah, the 50k PQM wouldn't get you anything you're not getting with 1MM. Congrats!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Are PQDs even relevant for 3MM flyers?

If you're a 3MM flyer, you get your six GPUs anyways. The question I have is if you fly 150K PQMs but don't hit the 12K PQD, would you still get your 2 extra GPUs or would you technically get 0 GPUs and then on Jan 1 get your annual 6 GPU minimum?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
If you're a 3MM flyer, you get your six GPUs anyways. The question I have is if you fly 150K PQMs but don't hit the 12K PQD, would you still get your 2 extra GPUs or would you technically get 0 GPUs and then on Jan 1 get your annual 6 GPU minimum?
this
would you technically get 0 GPUs and then on Jan 1 get your annual 6 GPU minimum
Premier members will earn six Global Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Global Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 50,000 Premier qualifying miles or 60 Premier qualifying segmentsearned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jeebus
Well, the 47K EQM has to be on UA metal and if it's Premium cabin tickets, the bonus PQM above 100% don't help you with MM miles. By reaching MM, you can basically relax and no longer worry about chasing UA status unless you want Plat or 1K.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services; 3.83 M miler; HH; Starwood; Marriott
Lifetime Global Services

Anyone who has gone over 4 million miles lifetime with United is told he/she will get Global Services for life. I will reach this in the fall. Can any who has already made lifetime tell me if there any other perks and if GPUs are also given annually?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by pempel
Anyone who has gone over 4 million miles lifetime with United is told he/she will get Global Services for life. I will reach this in the fall. Can any who has already made lifetime tell me if there any other perks and if GPUs are also given annually?
As a LT 1K -- you would presently receive 6 GPUs at the year of the year if you do not earn them in the standard manner. Becoming LT GS does not change that -- if you do not earn them in the standard manner, you will received 6 GPUs at the end of the year. (this also applies to the min of 4 RPUs, a 1K/GS would receive)

You do not received "extra" GPUs for 4MM per se. You are just guaranteed to get the annual 6 GPU -- one way or another.

Your main benefits are the LT GS status and the conveying GS status to your MM companion. If you "earn" GS status, you effectively get nothing additionally presently -- but in the future if you don't earn GS you will continue to received GS benefits.

You will get a one time choice of a gift for earning 4MM.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iler-gift.html

Congrats on your pending milestone.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2017 at 8:32 pm Reason: RPUs also
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
(this also applies to the min of 4 RPUs, a 1K/GS would receive)
Small correction (and a minor pet peeve of mine). As a LT 1K you will get 6 GPUs but only 2 RPUs, assuming you don't earn them. Even though as an earned 1K you would have gotten 4 for getting to 100K, UA seems to only think the LT folks are entitled to the 2 for having been Plat. Never made sense to me but since all I try to do with my RPUs is give them to family and that fails close to 100% of the time I just shrug at UA's petty stinginess. Besides I haven't been on a UA plane in nearly 3 years despite having purchased lots of premium cabin tickets over that window so -- meh.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I hit 3M miles flying from DEN to NRT yesterday and it was impressive how they recognized me. The pilot and first officers came out to the gate and made an announcement, talked about how much flying I had done, gave me a bag full of goodies. They also gave me a hand written card, the GS team gave me another card. The captain invited me to the 787 cockpit for a tour and pictures. Every single flight attendant came to my seat to say congratulations. I didn't expect any of this and truly appreciate how United made me feel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.