Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:51 pm

Please help correct my post here, so I'll know what I can expect.

I will reach my first MM this Sept. And I will requalify for 1K in 2016.
The companion I can designate, will be 1K from end of 2015 till Jan 2017 ?
Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keller281
I will reach my first MM this Sept. And I will requalify for 1K in 2016.
The companion I can designate, will be 1K from end of 2015 till Jan 2017 ?
Thanks.
Correct, and they'll be Gold/*G indefinitely after if you lose status (as you will be)

Originally Posted by ani90
Why?
A lot of us bash UA (rightfully so), but we do acknowledge it has the best MM program. Part of the reason is that legacy PMUA had the toughest requirements (BIS only), but also the best benefits at 1MM.

Not everyone loved some of the downgrades in MM (loss of 2 RPUs; no longer 2nd highest publish tier; no 100% bonus miles, etc.) but the companion/spousal match is great for many.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Earned 1K status for 2015 but MM Companion is Platinum

I just reached 1MM and my husband is thrilled. What's strange is that as my companion, he got Premier Platinum instead of 1K. I checked my qualifications from last year, and it definitely says I met the PQM, PQD and 4 segment requirements so I wasn't gifted the status.

Is there additional approval for 1K that takes longer? It hasn't been 48 hrs, so I wasn't sure if I should call or wait. He became a Premier Platinum within an hour. Not sure if it happened immediately as I didn't think to check that fast. He was silver before I designated him as my MM companion.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ani90
Why?
Why? I get lifetime *G and the ability to nominate someone to share my status. To me the nomination is worth a lot more than two RPUs per year. Yes, yur mileage may vary -- but this isn't the right thread for that discussion.,

Originally Posted by wtigerFF
I just reached 1MM and my husband is thrilled. What's strange is that as my companion, he got Premier Platinum instead of 1K. I checked my qualifications from last year, and it definitely says I met the PQM, PQD and 4 segment requirements so I wasn't gifted the status.

Is there additional approval for 1K that takes longer? It hasn't been 48 hrs, so I wasn't sure if I should call or wait. He became a Premier Platinum within an hour. Not sure if it happened immediately as I didn't think to check that fast. He was silver before I designated him as my MM companion.
That sounds wrong if yur status us 1K. I'd call.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 30, 2015 at 9:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 26, 2015, 6:47 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
I dropped from 1k to GM at the start 2015. I am at about 875k Lifetime flight miles. just to confirm PQM are still distance flow, but redeemable miles are based on PQD? And MM is based on the PQM.

Last edited by tht; May 26, 2015 at 7:18 am
Old May 26, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tht
I dropped from 1k to GM at the start 2015. I am at about 875k Lifetime flight miles. just to confirm PQM are still distance flow, but redeemable miles are based on PQD? And MM is based on the PQM.
1, Yes, just make sure for *A flights it's mileage earning

2, yes on 016 tickets...if flying *A on non-UA tickets, it's a function of mileage/fare class.

3, MM miles only go up with actual UA/UX BIS miles (not PQM)
Old May 27, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1k; 1MM, HH Diamond; Hertz PC, Costco member
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

3, MM miles only go up with actual UA/UX BIS miles (not PQM)
I've been tracking BIS miles very closely as I will make MM in 2 weeks. Occasionally I see odd differences between quoted miles and miles that get added to my life time miles. Last week, I had an unusual short flight (IAD - MDT - 94mi) and I seemed to get credit for 500. Don't know if this was a glitch or maybe I was getting some past credits.

Anyone else see that happen?
Old May 27, 2015, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Tall Paul
I've been tracking BIS miles very closely as I will make MM in 2 weeks. Occasionally I see odd differences between quoted miles and miles that get added to my life time miles. Last week, I had an unusual short flight (IAD - MDT - 94mi) and I seemed to get credit for 500. Don't know if this was a glitch or maybe I was getting some past credits.

If you have certain UA/Chase credit cards you will always get 500 minimum on a segment.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JetAway
If you have certain UA/Chase credit cards you will always get 500 minimum on a segment.
UA really culdn't come up with a more convoluted system if it tried. Does anyone here fancy a game of Mornington Crescent?
Old May 27, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
UA really culdn't come up with a more convoluted system if it tried. Does anyone here fancy a game of Mornington Crescent?
This is very true. And, of course, it makes the incentives perverse in many cases.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Tall Paul

Originally Posted by JetAway
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This is very true. And, of course, it makes the incentives perverse in many cases.
I'm pretty sure no current UA/Chase credit cards give the 500 mile minimum. Instead, having elite status is what provides the 500 mile minimum (http://mileageplusupdates.com/mileageplus/english/faq/). Those minimum miles count towards MM. Hypothetically, if you were doing nothing but flying ORD-MKE, you could get million miler status after only flying 134,000 miles :P.

Yes, the program is convoluted. Doesn't help when people post incorrect information.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
I did not see this one answered in the wiki.

If I use my 1MM status to request a status match for my spouse and I am a 1K, will they get 6 GPUs as part of that status match?

Thanks in advance

Lurker
Old May 29, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Lurker
I did not see this one answered in the wiki.

If I use my 1MM status to request a status match for my spouse and I am a 1K, will they get 6 GPUs as part of that status match?

Thanks in advance

Lurker
Nope.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Nope.
Thanks for the quick response.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by wtigerFF

Update, just in case this happens to anyone else; my husband's status was changed to 1K. It took a few transfers between agents to find the right one who could actually do something about it, but after verifying that I really did EARN 1K last year (it wasn't comped, 1 time exception, etc), no one questioned that he should be 1K although they were all a bit puzzled as to how he wound up as Premier Platinum, a status that neither of us has ever been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.