Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dietz
I've got a quick question and sorry if this has been asked and answered. If I get an upsell to purchase an upgrade using miles and do so, would that flight still be eligible for earning miles and PQMs.

If so, would I earn miles at my originally booked class rate or my upgraded class rate?

I've got this offer:
LAS -> EWR
Original class booked: E
Miles to upgrade offer: 15,000 miles
Originally booked class.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by limey1K
What Route: DEN-ORD
Original Fare Bucket: H
Price Offered: $129
PCU/UFC: UFC
Where it was Offered: OLCI
Accepted: No

Declined the offer as there were 6 of 16 seats open at OLCI. I was #1 on the list and was still there at departure. F ended up booking full and I was in Y.
This seems to be a great example of the success of the upsell program (from UA's perspective). DEN-ORD is what, two hours flight time and probably 2:40 BIS time? I would take the $129-up in a heartbeat, as it seemed quite a few folks did.

Guys...seems we're going to have to fork over the dough going forward (), as I have been doing more and more of late.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Absurd

what route: ORD-EWR-ITH
original fare bucket: XN
price offered: $1,409 (seriously?)
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was offered/accepted: Popup window at booking.
Accept it or deny it? After I stopped laughing I declined. F is only for the EWR segment on an ERJ-170; the segment to ITH is on a class-less Q300.

The cash price for my itinerary was $806 in Y and $1,099 in F. On similar itinerary (the same EWR segment but an earlier, more convenient ITH segment) M-fare was only $545 and Z-fare was $996.

I can only assume such offers are randomly generated by some poorly developed algorithm. I can't imagine anyone taking such an offer, or why UA would program it to make such absurd offers. I guess they get enough hits for little marginal cost to not feel ashamed.

Regardless, you can see why I'd rather only spend 10,000 miles and a few hrs in EWR rather than pay cash.

Update Mar 12: rebooked itinerary to a later ORD-EWR leg. Same $806 cash instead of miles offer in Y and down to $996 cash for F. Despite F2 did not get the PCU popup window during booking. Perhaps they read this post and felt ashamed.

Update Mar 15: While I didn't get a PCU offer, at OLCI got $259 UFC offer for ORD-EWR leg. There were six people on the upgrade list for that last ER7 F seat. Instead I switched to a later flight with no F availability.

Last edited by megalab; Mar 15, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
BCN-GVA-IAD, booked in W class. Offered UFC at booking for $3852 for just the GVA-IAD segment.

Absolutely ludicrous and I declined. I could have booked it in PAID business (in P) for both flights (for what intra-Europe C is worth, anyway) for about $950 over W at the time of booking. Z was also available for ~$1200 over that W fare. Just can't fathom what UA was thinking...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by megalab
I can only assume such offers are randomly generated by some poorly developed algorithm. I can't imagine anyone taking such an offer, or why UA would program it to make such absurd offers. I guess they get enough hits for little marginal cost to not feel ashamed.
Yup, I'd say at least 75% of the offers I get are completely ridiculous.

"Shame" is not in the UA repertoire.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Paid Upgrade offer more than purchasing new P ticket

I am on a K ticket HNL-NRT for $712 RT. A week before the flight I get an email offer for paid upgrade for $4000+ for HNL-NRT and $3000+ for NRT-HNL. Checking the same flights, I can book a roundtrip in P for $4300. Even if I don't use the original ticket I save $2000. How can this possibly be? I can only imagine how much revenue is lost with inane upgrade offers like these.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is not uncommon

see examples in

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:14 pm

Yep; I posted an example of this earlier to one of those threads, too. UFC for a single UA-metal flight was over $3800, but a brand-new P fare covering the UA metal and partner flights was around $2800 less.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, KE Morning Calm, Hertz Gold, SPG Plat
What Route: ORD-SEA
Original Fare Bucket: T
Price Offered: $199
Accepted: Declined initially but later accepted.

Initially accepted and finished checking in. Upon checking flight status, there was 7 people ahead of me. Tried changing seat and the offer for 199 was still valid. Took upon the offer and bought up. It was a completed booked flight and I wasn't going to take my chances in the middle seat for a 5 hour flight.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

EWR-OSL last week. Booked in L (233ish PQDs earnt) and offered $829 up to BF. Happily flew in 8A. Pretty sure NRSAs cleared into the seats at departure.

I actually think the $1000ish is reasonable for the OW Biz fare. But I'm not likely to pay that out of my own pocket.

FWIW, if you ever get a copy of your PNR history it will have all the UFC offer details you received in it. At least my most recent one (prior to this OSL trip) did.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bryanlee81
What Route: ORD-SEAOriginal Fare Bucket: T
Price Offered: $199
Accepted: Declined initially but later accepted.

Initially accepted and finished checking in. Upon checking flight status, there was 7 people ahead of me. Tried changing seat and the offer for 199 was still valid. Took upon the offer and bought up. It was a completed booked flight and I wasn't going to take my chances in the middle seat for a 5 hour flight.
ORD-SEA is a 5 hour flight?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:44 am

3/18 IAD-SFO-NRT-BKK
Booked W, all segments in C via GPU
At OLCI, offered GF on the two 747 segments for $1300.
At the airport this morning, GF for $939.
Declined though I was tempted. Had it come with PQD and PQM bonus, I would have jumped on it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Today CLE-EWR
Original G
Offer $549
Laughter the best medicine.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:10 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Annoyed!

I and a non-status coworker were on the same PNR, I split the records this morning to improve at least my chances of an upgrade...

SFO-ORD, tomorrow...Both from a T fare.

Me, $699
Him, $199

One seat in F left, and I won't get an upgrade because they're selling them to non-status folks for $199, yet it's $699 for me.

Thanks, United.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Annoyed!

I and a non-status coworker were on the same PNR, I split the records this morning to improve at least my chances of an upgrade...

SFO-ORD, tomorrow...Both from a T fare.

Me, $699
Him, $199

One seat in F left, and I won't get an upgrade because they're selling them to non-status folks for $199, yet it's $699 for me.

Thanks, United.
That is unbelievably uncool. Amazon got a TON of bad press for similar antics.

If this is how United rewards their good customers, I'm more than happy to be a bad one.

Just terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.