Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
What route: SFO-ICN
Original fare bucket: W (upgraded to R with GPU at booking)
Price offered: $1079
PCU/UFC?: UFC
Where it was offered/accepted: online after check-in
Accepted?: Nah- window seat in the upper deck is good enough

8 seats available with 16 eligible pax (not sure what this means; there were ~35 C pax), and I think nobody took the offer. Three or four of them were eventually taken by non-revs.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
What Route: EZE-IAH
Original Fare Bucket: V
Price Offered: $629
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was Offered: After purchasing ticket
Accepted? Yes...why not.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
LAX-IAD-LHR.

Booked in W for about $1200 and upgraded to R with a GPU. Offered an upgrade to F for $749.

I'm thinking about it. After all - it would give me access to the F lounge in both LAX and IAD.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70
LAX-IAD-LHR.

Booked in W for about $1200 and upgraded to R with a GPU. Offered an upgrade to F for $749.

I'm thinking about it. After all - it would give me access to the F lounge in both LAX and IAD.
IMO not worth it! Just go to LH at IAD.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
1/16
BOS-DEN
Q fare, offered $289 at purchase for upsell to P class
Accepted, and I'll probably accept others when they're offered, because that's at least 5 hours of comfort on a Thursday-afternoon flight that is ALWAYS packed. Yesterday there were 61 people on the upgrade standby list! Even Global Services passengers' CPUs don't always clear on that route & day.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Booked W LHR-LAX nonstop. Upgraded to R with Global. UFC for $849 to Global First?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:55 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
Booked W LHR-LAX nonstop. Upgraded to R with Global. UFC for $849 to Global First?
Well, at least it's a long flight.

I got two offers for DFW-IAH-NRT-BKK:

Booked in W for about $2100 and upgraded to R with a GPU. Offered an upgrade to F for $1300 a few days before departure, and a whopping $4K at checkin.

All that for a SEVEN hour flight from NRT to BKK, since sCO 777 is a two class bird.

And on top of it all, NRT-BKK went mechanical, and most of us were put on TG661 redeye from HND

Wonder what they would have said if I bought the u/g; they just blew us off and put us in coach on TG since "we purchased a ticket in coach", albeit very expensive coach ticket
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I booked a ticket via my corporate travel agency PDX-EWR-BHX-EWR-PDX. Outbound in C and return in M.

I went online to select my seat and went to request an UG with miles; it was $300 plus 20K miles. However, I was also offered an UFC for $296.80. Um, obvious choice, so I took the UFC and selected my seats. Great!

Then I went to look at the receipt -- United has charged me $2850.80 for the UG as an add/collect (which is the correct difference between my M fare and Z).

So -- what now? I have a screenshot of what they offered, and I accepted

Do I call United and work it out? Ignore it and fight the charge? Advice welcome.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by noah
I booked a ticket via my corporate travel agency PDX-EWR-BHX-EWR-PDX. Outbound in C and return in M.

I went online to select my seat and went to request an UG with miles; it was $300 plus 20K miles. However, I was also offered an UFC for $296.80. Um, obvious choice, so I took the UFC and selected my seats. Great!

Then I went to look at the receipt -- United has charged me $2850.80 for the UG as an add/collect (which is the correct difference between my M fare and Z).

Do I call United and work it out? Ignore it and fight the charge? Advice welcome.
Email and attach the screen shot. They will make this right; in the rare event they refuse I'd go w/ the DOT.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
Email and attach the screen shot. They will make this right; in the rare event they refuse I'd go w/ the DOT.
If they don't make it right quickly, I'd do the DOT complaint, but also dispute with the credit card company. Much faster.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by noah

There have been a ton of reports of exactly this happening lately. Good move keeping the screenshot. I would hold out for the upgrade and the refund.

UA is currently subject to a DOT consent order (DOT Consent Order) based on its failure to promptly process refunds, so that's a powerful last resort if you don't get satisfaction through CS channels.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Route: SNA-IAH-PIT
Original Fare Bucket: L
Price Offered: $1,179
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was Offered: After purchasing ticket
Accepted? Not a chance
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:15 pm
Suspended

ORD-CDG

Originally booked ORD-CDG on a W fare RT for $1300.

Upgraded to PN using a GPU at booking.

OLCI offered upgrade to GF for $599.

Accepted. I'm tall and would love the extra room to sleep on the overnight to Paris.

Now booked into ON, I assume I only get the original booked class for PQD and PQM or do they credit the Buy up?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
I'm on my monthly trip to Stockholm...

SFO-EWR-ARN K-class (Not eligible for GPU). I was offered a buy-up at cheek-in (T-24) for about $1300. I declined. I printed my tickets at SFO and purchased the Business First seat (for EWR-ARN ONLY) for $849.

That is well worth it to me. You leave New York around 5:30 and land here at about 7:00 am. Getting to sleep 3 or 4 hours gives you another full day of work here instead of spending the first day recovering from the flight.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Route: LAX - JFK (p.s.)
Original Fare Bucket: K
Price Offered: $979
Accepted: I don't think so ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.