Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Route: Pek-Ewr
Orig. Fare Bucket: W
used GPU for J
Offered F for the paltry sum of $3100. Offered at on line check in.
Declined
This was last week.
BTW There was nobody in F except the pilot when he was resting.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wpr8e

Now booked into ON, I assume I only get the original booked class for PQD and PQM or do they credit the Buy up?
Original booked class only. Still good deal! ^
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: HU G, 3U G, CZ G, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL Plat, IHG SRA, TK G, Hilton G
what route: IAH-SEA-ANC
original fare bucket: G
price offered: $799,599
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered/accepted: after Checked In

Accept it? Not on your life
Deny it? After laughing
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Yi Yang
what route: IAH-SEA-ANC
original fare bucket: G
price offered: $799,599
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered/accepted: after Checked In

Accept it? Not on your life
Deny it? After laughing
Please tell me you took a picture of this.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Route: SFO-PHL
Original fare bucket: T
Price offered: US$299
PCU/UFC?: PCU
Offered right after I purchased my main ticket.
Denied.

Here are the circumstances. Itinerary was PHL-IAH-LAX-HNL; HNL-SFO-PHL. Other legs (not all) were being offered for 1000+. The SFO-PHL was a redeye flight.

I tried to go back into my reservation and do the Upgrade option, though it was not available. The upsell seemed to be a one-time, during-reservation offer. Did I do the right thing? It would have been nice to have a nice hot breakfast or dinner in First Class, though we're talking redeye here. What would I get, a stupid sandwich wrap? For US$299? Naw, especially if maybe I might get upgraded anyway with CPU (I'm UA Gold).

Ruhr
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jasonvr
If they don't make it right quickly, I'd do the DOT complaint, but also dispute with the credit card company. Much faster.
I've been trying to make this right, but its not easy. Multiple requests to Customer Care, refund requests, finally submitted a DOT complaint. That got a response. They called today.

The representative says - "the fare you were offered ($296.80) was the difference between your corporate-discount M fare and a full M fare, and then it also charged you the difference between M and C". They are asking for something from United.com showing my full itinerary (not just return segments) which I don't have because I only requested an UG on the return. And because I don't have said document showing the FULL itinerary, my complaint is invalid. Furthermore she commented, "You should have known that $296 was not enough to get you into business class."

Ultimately it sounds as though they might be willing to let me make this a mileage UG + copay -- which was my original plan -- but I'm surprised they're being such jerks about it since they admitted that the website messed up.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Ruhr
It would have been nice to have a nice hot breakfast or dinner in First Class, though we're talking redeye here. What would I get, a stupid sandwich wrap?
The only food offered on red-eyes is a cold snack plate after departure and a warm scone before arrival. No hot breakfast or wrap.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by noah
I've been trying to make this right, but its not easy. Multiple requests to Customer Care, refund requests, finally submitted a DOT complaint. That got a response. They called today.

The representative says - "the fare you were offered ($296.80) was the difference between your corporate-discount M fare and a full M fare, and then it also charged you the difference between M and C". They are asking for something from United.com showing my full itinerary (not just return segments) which I don't have because I only requested an UG on the return. And because I don't have said document showing the FULL itinerary, my complaint is invalid. Furthermore she commented, "You should have known that $296 was not enough to get you into business class."

Ultimately it sounds as though they might be willing to let me make this a mileage UG + copay -- which was my original plan -- but I'm surprised they're being such jerks about it since they admitted that the website messed up.
it's not incumbent on the passenger to determine what is a "valid" and "mistake" upgrade $$ figure. united made you an offer, and you accepted it. you need to push back HARD on this, or just enlist the DOT to do it on your behalf. i'd also dispute with the CC company if you haven't already. do not allow them to twist your arm into submission.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I agree with other posters, you need to push back hard. First, as this shows, only a DOT complaint gets UAL's attention. Second, DOT needs to know what UAL is doing. Its illegal, full stop. I would also do a stop payment on the credit card, its illegal for them to charge other than what you pushed to authorize.

DOT usually lets that airline try to fix it, since United is not, you need to file ANOTHER DOT complaint, reference the original issue/number and say that United has admitted a mistake, yet still will not fix it. DOT will then take action.

Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:46 pm

2014-02-13/2014-02-17
EWR-MXP/MXP-EWR
K fare (Wideroe)
$829 UFC both times during OLCI
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
We reached an agreement. They're going to refund my charge minus $296, and instead treat it as a mileage upgrade for 20K miles .

While I could have pushed to only pay $296, in the end I did end up flying in First on Lufthansa FRA-SEA for what was originally an economy ticket on United (as a result of the weather waiver) so I felt that this was a fair resolution.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:12 pm
Used to be diaworld

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Dontcareist,
MEX-IAD
Fare Class X (Econ Award)
Offered Buy up to Biz at Check in for $149
Took it

Here's my question: both wifi and in-seat audio were busted on the entire aircraft. A 5 hour flight with absolutely no entertainment options? I'm inclined to ask for my upgrade fee back (or at least some miles). No status with United, but a US air *A Gold (as far as that gets me for now). Thoughts?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA852 NRT-SFO
Upgraded R
Offered $1389 buy-up to GF at check-in.
No chance.

This is the same price I've been offered on my last two or three flights to/from Asia. Apparently UA thinks this is the sweet spot. Not for me.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by The Deal Mommy
MEX-IAD
Fare Class X (Econ Award)
Offered Buy up to Biz at Check in for $149
Took it

Here's my question: both wifi and in-seat audio were busted on the entire aircraft. A 5 hour flight with absolutely no entertainment options? I'm inclined to ask for my upgrade fee back (or at least some miles). No status with United, but a US air *A Gold (as far as that gets me for now). Thoughts?
Wow, nice award ToD. I would have taken in it, too, as a UA non-elite. I know the MEX flights are often easy upgrades; did you happen to notice if there were any names left on the UG list?

As for the lack of IFE, go to united.com/appreciation and see if you can request compensation (usually in the form of a $$$ or %-off voucher if you're not a MP member).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: United Gold
We reached an agreement. They're going to refund my charge minus $296, and instead treat it as a mileage upgrade for 20K miles .

While I could have pushed to only pay $296, in the end I did end up flying in First on Lufthansa FRA-SEA for what was originally an economy ticket on United (as a result of the weather waiver) so I felt that this was a fair resolution.
Noah - its beyond fair - I think its a classy move on your part. Kudos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.