Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Annoyed!

I and a non-status coworker were on the same PNR, I split the records this morning to improve at least my chances of an upgrade...

SFO-ORD, tomorrow...Both from a T fare.

Me, $699
Him, $199

One seat in F left, and I won't get an upgrade because they're selling them to non-status folks for $199, yet it's $699 for me.

Thanks, United.
A pricey TOD, but a great example of what likely happens on a lot of flights these days that we don't have great visibility into since most of "us" have status.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
what route: BWI-IAH (3/29) and IAH-SNA (3/29)
original fare bucket: K
price offered: $219 for each segment
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was offered/accepted: At Check-in on Mobile App (also showed the number of seats available and people eligible for upgrade. The number was 24 and 14 for each segment respectively. I am a little confused as the upgrade list on the web page and mobile app only showed 9 and 8 people respectively. Dunno if that is inclusive of non-revs or people whom they have offered the upgrade at a price.
Accept it or deny it? Ofcourse denied!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Annoyed!

I and a non-status coworker were on the same PNR, I split the records this morning to improve at least my chances of an upgrade...

SFO-ORD, tomorrow...Both from a T fare.

Me, $699
Him, $199

One seat in F left, and I won't get an upgrade because they're selling them to non-status folks for $199, yet it's $699 for me.

Thanks, United.
A pricey TOD, but a great example of what likely happens on a lot of flights these days that we don't have great visibility into since most of "us" have status.
Some people continue to falsely claim things like this just don't happen. How can they say that when so many have experienced this?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Some people continue to falsely claim things like this just don't happen. How can they say that when so many have experienced this?
Because they cheerlead UA on here for comped status and/or other considerations?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Singapore Air, Delta, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood
Clarification regarding buy up

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Because they cheerlead UA on here for comped status and/or other considerations?
I continue to receive conflicting information from 1K Desk, Customer Service via email and phone regarding the "buy up to First" tab on each of our reservations purchased from United and on United economy flights.

Do the dollars used to buy up count as PQD? Are there different kinds of buy ups that count versus some that don't count?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DCP913
I continue to receive conflicting information from 1K Desk, Customer Service via email and phone regarding the "buy up to First" tab on each of our reservations purchased from United and on United economy flights.

Do the dollars used to buy up count as PQD? Are there different kinds of buy ups that count versus some that don't count?
This is one of the grayest areas there is. The only way to know for sure is to see if the purchase is changing your fare basis. If your fare basis changes, it's a ticket purchase and qualifies for PQD's. You can tell the fare basis for the new fare by clicking through "View Rules and Restrictions."

A decent rule of thumb is that if it's more than 24 hours since you first bought the ticket, you will probably will not earn PQD's (as you're probably just buying an upgrade). If it's within 24 hours, you probably will earn PQD's (as you're probably buying a new fare).
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Just purchased RT business class ticket to UK - $3,500 in June through EWR (D-Class outbound, W class return upgraded with GPU) After purchase I was offerred the opportunity to buy up to GF for - get this - $6,726 for the EWR-LHR flight!

OMG it was such a close call, but declined. I did take a picture just to laugh in the future...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Just purchased RT business class ticket to UK - $3,500 in June through EWR (D-Class outbound, W class return upgraded with GPU) After purchase I was offerred the opportunity to buy up to GF for - get this - $6,726 for the EWR-LHR flight!

OMG it was such a close call, but declined. I did take a picture just to laugh in the future...
Why you tourting yourself with UA?

you spent 3500 RT for a J ticket and on the return you upgrading to GF or?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Why you tourting yourself with UA?

you spent 3500 RT for a J ticket and on the return you upgrading to GF or?
Flying Monday morning arriving Monday night - will be upgraded to GF outbound and return friday is BF. I typically fly over in business and back in economy and upgrade on trips to EMEA.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
I almost never get a TOD offer at check in (can't actually remember ever getting one). Is this because I check in on my mobile or because I'm 1K?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, if you ever get a copy of your PNR history it will have all the UFC offer details you received in it. At least my most recent one (prior to this OSL trip) did.
Interesting, what's the best (& easiest) way to get a copy of it, in your experience?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After purchase I was offerred the opportunity to buy up to GF for - get this - $6,726 for the EWR-LHR flight!
Maybe your and other sky-high offers reported upthread price it to the highest fare class, e.g. F and J. Those are often in the 5 digit $ range.

Personally, I have no problems with high=priced u/g offers as it keeps other upgrade opportunities alive.
In this regard, I have little sympathy for high status folks complaining about it on this thread.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:03 am

Thumbs down

So as a brand new convert to UA from US to maintain my *G, I guess I will just have to get used to a CLT-ORD flight being offered to me at $129 as a TOD, but not getting a complimentary upgrade into the seat and getting to cool my heels in a 26B instead?

BTW, ZRH-EWR on a Q fare: offered to me (Gold Prem) at $839, offered to my wife (Silv Prem) at $799.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:18 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

Yes, that's very similar to my $9081 offer for GF on EWR-CDG (upcharge from P, roughly $750 o/w as booked). They did at least offer to shave nearly $2k off if I booked both directions up to GF, for a real steal at $16k.

FWIW, UA is selling GF on those flights for under $5k RT (via discounted "A"), so I can't even buy the "fare difference" argument for where they came up with the $9k o/w / $16k RT offer.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
what route: SJC-DEN-ORD
original fare bucket: S
price offered: $553
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was offered/accepted: UA.com.

Accept it or deny it? Deny

I didn't get an upgrade offer at booking because it was bought via my corporate travel site. I clicked on the Redeem Upgrade button to see the offer. It is $107 more than the difference between S ($245) and P ($691) right now at UA.com.

Last edited by megalab; Apr 27, 2014 at 10:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.