Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is one of the grayest areas there is. The only way to know for sure is to see if the purchase is changing your fare basis. If your fare basis changes, it's a ticket purchase and qualifies for PQD's. You can tell the fare basis for the new fare by clicking through "View Rules and Restrictions."

A decent rule of thumb is that if it's more than 24 hours since you first bought the ticket, you will probably will not earn PQD's (as you're probably just buying an upgrade). If it's within 24 hours, you probably will earn PQD's (as you're probably buying a new fare).
Not necessarily. If you click through the "Buy Up to United [Class]" tab on the redeem upgrade screen, it can be an upfare to the cheapest first/business cabin fare, or instant upgrade fare if you are a Premier member. All of which counts toward PQD.

Buy up offer at check-in within 24 hours of the flight - probably not.

Then again, the opaqueness of it all is annoying.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Not necessarily. If you click through the "Buy Up to United [Class]" tab on the redeem upgrade screen, it can be an upfare to the cheapest first/business cabin fare, or instant upgrade fare if you are a Premier member. All of which counts toward PQD.

Buy up offer at check-in within 24 hours of the flight - probably not.

Then again, the opaqueness of it all is annoying.
There you go into opaque fares thats a whole different flavor of complexity.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:34 pm

Route:LAS-LAX
orig fare class:S
Price: $36
Offered at:OLCI
Accepted:Yes

$36 was worth it just to board/disembark early!!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jc1977
Route:LAS-LAX
Price: $36
Offered at:OLCI
Accepted:Yes

$36 was worth it just to board/disembark early!!
I'd have taken it. Plus, if you can get in three doubles, you made money on the deal!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Route: DXB-IAD
Original Booking Class: Z
Offer: $1,049 to upgrade to Global First
Offered at OLCI
Result: That's a pretty pricy cup of soup-declined
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Route: ONT-SFO-GDL (Red-Eye)

Original fare: K

SFO-GDL Leg: $379 each for myself (Silver) and my daughter (no status) at OLCI. Declined. ONT-SFO leg is a CRJ200.

CPU for both of us cleared as soon as I had completed OLCI. Not many elites doing this Red-Eye mid-week.

Wife with no status was offered $179 at OLCI for the same leg. Accepted.

The difference between the K and P fares was $207. The wive's upsell made sense but I am still scratching my head on my upsell.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eknock007
Route: ONT-SFO-GDL (Red-Eye)

Original fare: K

SFO-GDL Leg: $379 each for myself (Silver) and my daughter (no status) at OLCI. Declined. ONT-SFO leg is a CRJ200.

CPU for both of us cleared as soon as I had completed OLCI. Not many elites doing this Red-Eye mid-week.

Wife with no status was offered $179 at OLCI for the same leg. Accepted.

The difference between the K and P fares was $207. The wive's upsell made sense but I am still scratching my head on my upsell.
Good question. Were the tickets for all three of you the same fare/total price paid?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Award reservation SEA-IAH booked in X.

At booking offered an upgrade for $329.

Cheapest first class ticket is $443 (P); however, my flight only has F and A so a paid first class ticket on it goes for $752.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I has a W fare LAX-SYD on 839, upgraded to J on GPU. At check in, I was offered a paid upgrade to GF for $1,499. That's about $100 an hour for this flight, and was too rich for my blood.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: United Airlines
We have Premier Silver status and recently upgraded our "U" class tickets (round trip to Paris) to BusinessFirst on the Paris-SFO segment - $ 607.30 each seat. Within a day we discovered the entire trip had been rebooked/reticketed with outbound seats now in "S" class and dated as "April 18."

Though originally booked Dec. 2, 2013 with a Mileage upgrade request, we are now way back on the requested upgrade roster with a low fare code and April 18 entry date for a May 30 departure. Our chances of getting the upgrade - near zero.

United's Upgrade Your Flight page has a disclaimer: ""I accept the fare rules associated with this upgrade and that any changes made to this ticket may result in an additional fee."
But the page has no link, no asterisk, no footnote - nothing to tip you off as to the rules or the fee. How this isn't "an unfair and deceptive business practice" is the question.

Emails to United's Customer Care staff secured nothing more than a reinstatement of
the outbound "U" fare class with no set-back to the Dec.2 upgrade request date.
Let the buyer beware.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
what route: IAHNRT
original fare bucket: W
price offered: $7499
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered/accepted: Online after purchase

what route: HKGSFO
original fare bucket: W
price offered: $3439
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered/accepted: Online after purchase

I had to think about this one for a while, but I declined the upgrades to Business First.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Elite TOD?

Originally Posted by megalab
what route: SJC-DEN-ORD
original fare bucket: S
price offered: $553
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was offered/accepted: UA.com.

Accept it or deny it? Deny

I didn't get an upgrade offer at booking because it was bought via my corporate travel site. I clicked on the Redeem Upgrade button to see the offer. It is $107 more than the difference between S ($245) and P ($691) right now at UA.com.
Update: got CPU for SJC-DEN at T-3d but was skipped over for CPU on DEN-ORD despite F=6, R=4. A couple other people were upgraded at T-3d, as well at T-2d and T-1d so that at T-24h F=0.

At T-5h I was second on the upgrade list but flight was now F=1. I was offered $129 UFC on the mobile app to buy my way ahead of DUF/K. The cheapest offer I've ever received but wasn't worth upgrading from by favorite exit row seat. Someone else took the deal because DUF/K was still 1 and I was still 2 at takeoff.

I thought I'd share this update to show that at least UA sometimes does make reasonable upgrade offers to elites.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by megalab
Update: got CPU for SJC-DEN at T-3d but was skipped over for CPU on DEN-ORD despite F=6, R=4. A couple other people were upgraded at T-3d, as well at T-2d and T-1d so that at T-24h F=0.

At T-5h I was second on the upgrade list but flight was now F=1. I was offered $129 UFC on the mobile app to buy my way ahead of DUF/K. The cheapest offer I've ever received but wasn't worth upgrading from by favorite exit row seat. Someone else took the deal because DUF/K was still 1 and I was still 2 at takeoff.

I thought I'd share this update to show that at least UA sometimes does make reasonable upgrade offers to elites.
Your offer was likely a legit buy-up to a V-up or the equivalent on that citypair. Perfectly "fair" - but, while quiet as of late, it's documented that non-elites are the ones who tend to get the more tasty offers.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
LAX-JFK
12:52 p.m.
Auto-checked as this was my return flight

Earlier in the day, checked the website and it was C1 and Y4.

About 20 hour before departure, went on the APP, and there was a $469 offer to buy-up to C. Took it and only one seat to choose from. I fly this route often and am tired of the same food, etc., but this is a fair price, IMO, for a cash upgrade on PS. I'm surprised they sold it to me considering C had one seat left for sale. In the past when I've been in Y, it's always in the 800-or-900 range.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA GS
Unhappy MCI - SFO

Route:MCI-SFO
Price: $410
Offered at:30 days ahead
Accepted:No

Already in economy plus. No way is an upgrade in a CRJ700 worth $410.

Also, when I take the price of my original ticket, then add $410 each way for the upgrade it comes out the same price as just buying the 1st class seat in the first place!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.