Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Didn't know that. Guess I never checked.
Many of the domestic and latin american UP (and UPDI) fares book into P. But they can also book into any premium cabin fare class, i.e., Z, D, C, J, A, or F.

No one has yet reported a TATL or TPAC UP fare booking into P. Even the bargain basement $1400 TATL P fares that were sold in March were true P's, not UP's. I have seen a TPAC P-UP (BusinessFirst fare basis) that books into A (GlobalFirst booking code).
Old May 15, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
V-UP+P dom/TATL

Originally Posted by Kacee
No one has yet reported a TATL or TPAC UP fare booking into P. Even the bargain basement $1400 TATL P fares that were sold in March were true P's, not UP's...
In support of that observation, the ORD-FRA trip I discussed up-thread was originally booked as a P fare ORD-EWR-FRA r/t with the domestic leg fare bases V-UPs but the TATL portion were true Ps.

Regardless, when doing SDC to other connecting flights the domestic legs required P availability, not just V. There was no problem changing to non-stop TATL with P despite having V-UP domestic legs.

Let me reiterate that this 24-hr SDC benefit is one of the most valuable and differentiated of any of the airlines.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Route: SFO-IAD
Orig. fare: w
Price: $1085 for Y to BF on a 3 class aircraft
Offered at: When viewing my reservation
Accepted: You have to ask? H... no.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Didn't know that. Guess I never checked.
Yes. Not to get too off-topic, but it all depends on the underlying fare. In this case, it's a true P fare as against an at-booking upgrade that's based on a Q-fare or some such. FWIW, you can have an A-fare on your booking and receipt, but check the underlying fare basis and find out it's an H-fare you never knew about. Real piece of work.

I'm still chalking it up to faulty IT, as the original aircraft was a 3-class 763 that was down gauged to an international 752. Every time I sign in after a GDS update I expect to find it further down gauged to a 739 with a giant fuel canister attached.

Last edited by glasnost7; May 16, 2014 at 4:56 am
Old May 16, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What Route: FRA-ORD
Original Fare Bucket: M
Price Offered: $779 (1K) (R/RN 9)
PCU/UFC? (?)
Where it was Offered: OLCI at 24h before departure, with 1 person on Upgrade Standby List.
Accepted? Nope.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by glasnost7
Yes. Not to get too off-topic, but it all depends on the underlying fare. In this case, it's a true P fare as against an at-booking upgrade that's based on a Q-fare or some such. FWIW, you can have an A-fare on your booking and receipt, but check the underlying fare basis and find out it's an H-fare you never knew about. Real piece of work.

I'm still chalking it up to faulty IT, as the original aircraft was a 3-class 763 that was down gauged to an international 752. Every time I sign in after a GDS update I expect to find it further down gauged to a 739 with a giant fuel canister attached.
I know all about the domestic P-UPs (and their associated risks), but haven't booked too many international Ps until the recent fire sale. I assumed that they were -UPs as well, but clearly they are not.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by glasnost7
Every time I sign in after a GDS update I expect to find it further down gauged to a 739 with a giant fuel canister attached.
Don't give JS any ideas
Old May 17, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
What Route: ICT-ORD
Price Offered: $119
Where it was Offered: OLCI at 24h before departure
Accepted? Nope.

Not for 1hr45 on a CR7.................
Old May 18, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA GS
ORD-FRA
Original fare M
Offered @ OLCI
Buy up to business first $779

Originally a B772 the equipment was swapped for a B744 which opened a bunch more seats.
Plus, last night when I called MP to ask if they has buy ups available - for $6850......
Old May 18, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by steviebas
What Route: ICT-ORD
Price Offered: $119
Where it was Offered: OLCI at 24h before departure
Accepted? Nope.

Not for 1hr45 on a CR7.................
Why no instant up as a 1K? Surprising (or not) that this offer was presented and PN was presumably 0. Usually PN is managed less tightly than R and R opens for available seats at T-24hrs.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steviebas
ORD-FRA
Original fare M
Offered @ OLCI
Buy up to business first $779Originally a B772 the equipment was swapped for a B744 which opened a bunch more seats.
Plus, last night when I called MP to ask if they has buy ups available - for $6850......
Since 747 has GF what ended up happening?
Old May 18, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
LAX-LAS, S Fare, $39 at time of booking. No thanks, really don't care.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by GroundStop
Same flight, checking in at same time, me=1K, colleague=no status

what route: SFO-LAX
original fare bucket: me=H, colleague=Q
price offered: me="F is Full", colleague=$69
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered: online

I've been on the receiving end of differing prices, but not on availability before.
FWIW, a quick check on the mobile app upgrade list indeed shows 1F seat still available, yet UA deems I am not worthy to be offered it.
Originally Posted by Kacee
And yet there are people claiming in other threads right now that this NEVER happens.
I mentioned this to 1kVoice as a troubling example of the system either 1. not working properly or 2. a blatant disregard for UA elites, and just (2 weeks later) received this rather bizarre reply:

I was sorry to read that your experience with United Airlines on May 8, 2014, from San Francisco to Los Angeles did not meet your expectations, and I sincerely apologize.

While I cannot provide you with specifics regarding another passenger, I can assure you that your colleague is an elite customer with one of our Star Alliance partners; therefore the upgrade was processed correctly, as his reservation was booked several hours earlier than your reservation.

Thank you for choosing United Airlines and MileagePlus. As a Premier 1K member, you are a valued customer and your business is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Old May 19, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat

ORD-FRA today 744. Had used GPU on W to get into BF. At check-in last night offered GF for "only" $5,999! But 12 hours later it was $849 so I snagged it to avoid climb over seat mate.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Just to check -- suppose one is waitlisted for a miles+copay or an instrument UG. If that waitlisted UG has not cleared by the time of OLCI and one is offered a straight dollars-based TOD UG, if you accept this dollars-based TOD UG, are the miles and copay dollars (or instrument) automatically refunded back to you? Or do you need to request this to happen? Or even worse, are they forfeited?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.