Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I disagree. Retaining the same routing, same carrier and same class of service, and only changing the date and flight number, is still only a ticket revalidation--not a ticket reissuance--so there should not be an uptick in miles.
For all our sake, I hope you're right. But hey, we all get to find out when the fog of war lifts in 36 hours.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
What if I change the routing, but keep the origin and destination the same?

For example, I have flight booked for BKK-ICN-SFO that has a really long layover in ICN. I prefer to go BKK-NRT-SFO but there are currently no seats available Would that be considered a new ticket, or am I subjected to change fees? The reason I’m cautious is because I’m dropping down to 1P on Feb 1st, and would like to avoid penalty charges if I change the flight.

After further research, it appears I can't make any changes to the routing.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
What if I change the routing, but keep the origin and destination the same?

For example, I have flight booked for BKK-ICN-SFO that has a really long layover in ICN. I prefer to go BKK-NRT-SFO but there are currently no seats available Would that be considered a new ticket, or am I subjected to change fees? The reason I’m cautious is because I’m dropping down to 1P on Feb 1st, and would like to avoid penalty charges if I change the flight.
Yes. You will need to pay the change fee. This is listed under routing change. I just yesterday had the privilege of paying for it, when an award was changed from
SFO-SEA-TPE to SFO-LAX-TPE.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:45 am

I don't think the Wiki addresses this and couldn't find the answer in the last several pages:

Does anyone know if the new redemption rates go into effect at midnight on February 1st CST, or midnight on February 1st where the ticket you're looking to book originates, or something else? I don't recall what time things changed on prior award redemption devaluations.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:14 am

Award changes after Feb 2014 with same carrier, origin, dest. and different routing

I have tried to look for the answer on this, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

If I redeem an award today and change it after Feb 1, 2014, do I have to pay the mileage difference if I change the date and routing with the same carrier, origin and destination?

I understand changing date(s) alone would not cause the aware re-pricing, but I am not sure about the routing.

UAInsider or other experts, can you put in your thoughts on that?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hey guys, pay attention, your last day to book under the current rates is January 31, 2014. I would assume it's going to click over at midnight Central time, but would not recommend anyone cut it that close.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I booked a ticket today finally. LAX-IAD-yyy. IAD-yyy is on hard to get partner inventory.

Horrible 13 hr layover in IAD after a redeye from LAX

What i really want is SMF-IAD-yyy. Or SMF-LAX-IAD-yyy.

I'm thinking its a bad idea to add SMF-LAX bc it decreases my flexibility to potentially change to a better LAX-IAD schedule later. Currently SMF-IAD is IN1 and I need 2 seats.

Best to leave as is and try to just change time of LAX-IAD later on? I think so since I can buy SMF-LA for $100 or less one way.
for 13 hours, i would hop on the 5A bus and go into DC. easily doable on a 13-hour layover.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I am about to pull the trigger and burn my last 70k miles to fly late this year. Unable to find any F options via Europe this early since LH does not release F inventory. Best available routing via pacific to experience on NH/OZ F or NH/TG F are:

DFW(UA F)-ORD(NH F)-NRT(OZ F)-ICN(OZ C or TG C)-BKK
or
DFW(UA F)-ORD(NH F)-NRT(NH C)-HKG(TG F)-BKK

Any thoughts on which one to go for or suggest any other creative routing?

I would like to experience all three carriers i.e. NH/OZ/TG in F if possible.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I booked a ticket today finally. LAX-IAD-yyy. IAD-yyy is on hard to get partner inventory.

Horrible 13 hr layover in IAD after a redeye from LAX

What i really want is SMF-IAD-yyy. Or SMF-LAX-IAD-yyy.

I'm thinking its a bad idea to add SMF-LAX bc it decreases my flexibility to potentially change to a better LAX-IAD schedule later. Currently SMF-IAD is IN1 and I need 2 seats.

Best to leave as is and try to just change time of LAX-IAD later on? I think so since I can buy SMF-LA for $100 or less one way.
Adding the extra segment to the same ticket protects you in case of irrops. It also gives you a greater chance that a UA schedule change will allow you to change things arund a bit.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hey guys, pay attention, your last day to book under the current rates is January 31, 2014. I would assume it's going to click over at midnight Central time, but would not recommend anyone cut it that close.
Burned 600,000 miles since the deval was announced on Nov 1, saving about 250,000 miles for trips that were going to happen anyway. Wish I could find more flights before the clock strikes midnight tomorrow. At least mgmt gave us time to wipe clean our accounts.

Spoke to an agent today who said she is awaiting training for the new structure going into effect Feb 1st. Not sure why training is involved. It is what it is.

Anyone burn a million in 3 months on tickets?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
I just booked 2 more award tickets today for later this year and I asked the phone agent specifically about any changes that might be made to these tickets anytime after Feb 1st. She assured me that any mileage awards booked before Feb 1st will not be repriced to the higher mileage levels when changes are made, as long as the award region doesnt change. She said that she had inquired to her support desk about this 2 days ago when another customer had asked her the same question. She said that she was told that reissuing the ticket will not trigger a reprice of miles, that only redepositing a reward and reissuing a new one would trigger a reprice of miles at the current levels. I asked her to please verify this again and she put me on hold and called her support desk, then returned with the exact same response. A specific example that she gave the support desk was as follows - "I have an award ticket booked with the outbound LGA-ORD-FRA in F on UA, if later on a nonstop flight JFK-FRA becomes available in F on LH could I make this change without a reprice of miles." She told me that in this case they will only charge the change fee and any difference +/- in taxes. She happily documented this policy in the 2 tickets that I booked today and also in 3 other award tickets that I have previously booked just in case any agent tells me something different in the future. After I finshed the call with her I called back again and asked another agent to check if these notes were indeed documented in my bookings and the agent verified that the notes are there. (btw this agent also stated that she was also recently told that this would be the policy after feb 1st )
I know that most posts on this thread say something completely different, and at this moment we have no way of knowing who is actually right, but since she documented this in all of my tickets I feel confident that United will have to honor what I was told.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dkc715
Burned 600,000 miles since the deval was announced on Nov 1, saving about 250,000 miles for trips that were going to happen anyway. Wish I could find more flights before the clock strikes midnight tomorrow. At least mgmt gave us time to wipe clean our accounts.

Spoke to an agent today who said she is awaiting training for the new structure going into effect Feb 1st. Not sure why training is involved. It is what it is.

Anyone burn a million in 3 months on tickets?
No, but I burned 440K today booking two CA IAH-PEK-IAH in F for July (140K each) and one TG FRA-CDG-BKK-FRA in F for March (160K). TG is in the A380 CDG-BKK-FRA. I figured I wouldn't ever book TG F in the A380 after Jan 31, so I just searched around and jumped on what I could get at saver. Booked a separate revenue ticket IAH-FRA-IAH on UA in W and used GPUs. 18 hours on the ground in BKK. Might just spend it all in the F lounge.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm anticipating many postings on Feb 1st of those that waited until the last minute to try to do their bookings and run into issues.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Burned 400k miles, e.g. ZRH-BKK-HKG (TG F) - PEK / PVG -ZRH (LX C)
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:21 pm

Just burned 120,000 miles for a biz class flight to Thailand during xmas of this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.