Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:47 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Be careful about ANA Dreamliners. They have two versions, and unless you're up front, you don't want to fly the sardine version.
Thanks Mike. I didn't realize that. Maybe I'll just stick with my original flights then and get in at 12:05 am rather than 6:30 am...

Originally Posted by cfischer
did you book pre-deval? That's the only reason I can see why the online system may misprice. HUCA is what I'd do in this case.
Nope. Booked it at the beginning of October. I thought it was weird but based on what Mike said, I'll probably just leave as it is.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 12, 2014 at 12:05 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:49 am

Is it possible to change the flight to past 1 year of the original booking at pre-deval rates?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by duke2013
Is it possible to change the flight to past 1 year of the original booking at pre-deval rates?
You can certainly try, however if you're unsuccessful, then it's as you should have expected.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by duke2013
Any people / posts on here with those experiences / tips/ how to/ luck factor?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
So I am sure others have done the same, but I was just pricing some awards and this award chart makes me shake my head.

SINNRT partner in J is 40K
SINBKK J + BKKNRT Y is 35K

The extra 5K is worth quite a bit given the length of BKKNRT. Then again at these rates might as well do SINBKKHKGTPENRT if you have the time.

HKGTPE partner in J is 40K is looking rather pricey when you consider SINNRT is the same price.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by kluau88
So I am sure others have done the same, but I was just pricing some awards and this award chart makes me shake my head.

SINNRT partner in J is 40K
SINBKK J + BKKNRT Y is 35K

The extra 5K is worth quite a bit given the length of BKKNRT. Then again at these rates might as well do SINBKKHKGTPENRT if you have the time.

HKGTPE partner in J is 40K is looking rather pricey when you consider SINNRT is the same price.
OT, but wonder why they price the TG combo 5k lower than the OZ/CA/NH combos?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I have to wonder if tickets that were reissued via different methods with flights past a year of issuance date will still be valid when one arrives at the airport.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I have to wonder if tickets that were reissued via different methods with flights past a year of issuance date will still be valid when one arrives at the airport.
If the system re-tickets them with a new ticketing date isn't it irrelevant - aka once it's ticketed they have to honor it?

FWIW, I have changed one of mine recently and it fully ticketed and priced correctly (aka at the old redemption rates). I also received PNRs from each of the partner airlines I'm traveling on
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
If the system re-tickets them with a new ticketing date isn't it irrelevant - aka once it's ticketed they have to honor it?

FWIW, I have changed one of mine recently and it fully ticketed and priced correctly (aka at the old redemption rates). I also received PNRs from each of the partner airlines I'm traveling on
Online does it still show the old ticketing date?

I have one that does. I reticketed it with two intra-Europe segments. Those segments recently dropped off and I am worried that if I try to fix it it will get canceled or, if I don't fix it, if I just show up at the airport, the ticket may be invalid.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Online does it still show the old ticketing date?

I have one that does. I reticketed it with two intra-Europe segments. Those segments recently dropped off and I am worried that if I try to fix it it will get canceled or, if I don't fix it, if I just show up at the airport, the ticket may be invalid.
Hmm interesting. For mine I got the email / ticketing confirmation with the new ticketing date and the receipt under "view receipt" online lists that date too
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:36 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Hi everyone,

The updated Saver and Standard Award mileage requirements are now in effect, and I have a few more details to share:

Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
I apologize ahead of time for the long story...

I had an award ticket booked on Jan 31, 2014 for Feb 25th 2014. Originally it was HNL-SGN-HNL-CUZ (35K HNL-SGN & 70K SGN-HNL (Stop)-CUZ) ticket was booked through my girlfriend's Platinum UA mileage account.

Award Activity - 1/31/2014 Combined Awards: YB72A|YB72E (105,000)

I had to made changes on our tickets on Feb 21, 2014 due to last minute schedule conflicts, I also found out my friend actually preferred to go to Bali instead so changed destination and date to Sept 2013 (same region) at the same time.

We were not able to go again and I had to push back the date to Nov 26 - the available return dates were a couple of weeks later and we wanted to only stay for 5 days but I booked it anyway so I could change it as the dates got closer. I also dropped the CUZ segment on my ticket which was scheduled for May 2015 just because it was just too much hassle with the agent who literally told me she was "tired" after making all the changes. I had been on the phone with her for over 1.5 hours because of glitches and her as well as her going back & forth with supervisor both insisting that SGN & DPS were NOT in the same region - that's why the ticket wouldn't work (Yes, I would have hung up and tried again but we had all the other changes made and I didn't want to start over with another agent) After showing her proof that they were the same regions on UA website, I was told after everything was finally done that I would receive 25K miles back.

When I checked my friend's account a few days later, I saw they redeposited 105K and charged her 120K. I called back and was told that my ticket was issued on Feb 21, 2014 so it was calculated at the new mileage. I said the account was deducted for both our tickets on Jan 31, 2014 shown clearly on my friend's account. She told me that's not what she sees so can't do anything for me...yada, yada...I do not know why the ticket issue date was changed to Feb 21, 2014. I still have the original copy of the confirmation email that UA sent for both our tickets on 1/31/14. I was told I'd have to call Mileage plus and have them figure it out. I didn't want to deal with double phone duty and decided to wait until I could get the right dates and do everything at once.

Today, I was finally able to find the correct return dates but had to push our trip up to 11/12 instead of leaving on 11/26. The agent was very competent and everything went smoothly until I asked her to make the refund of extra miles deducted from the account. Then I was on the phone for another hour as she went back and forth, etc...

After much back & forth, she insisted the ticket was supposed to be 145K and they refunded my friend's account 25K so that's why my friend's account was only charged 120K even after I dropped off the CUZ segment. after politely explaining again and her talking to the supervisor and MP, she told me they couldn't do anything - there had been too many changes and I would need to file a request with customer care.

At this point I am not sure what to do...I think my current existing R/T Business award ticket HNL - DPS (if booked at current rates should be 105K at the most) should be figured at the pre-devaluation rate which should be even less.

Please advise...? UAInsider, can you shed any light on this?

Thanks for reading.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Hmm interesting. For mine I got the email / ticketing confirmation with the new ticketing date and the receipt under "view receipt" online lists that date too
Same for me. The new eTicket receipt (both email and online) show the new ticketing/issue date but the reservation still shows the date of original ticketing.

I highly doubt there will be any issues at the airport considering everything has already been reticketed/reissued, despite the face the flights are well beyond 1yr from original date of issue.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Me thinks United is playing games with the award tickets issued under the old award charts.

I've been trying to correct a problem from an award ticket that was not properly reissued and resulted in a dropped SQ flight. While being able to partially correct that problem, another has arisen.

Separate award tickets that had nothing to do with the problem flights were redeposited into my account. The award tickets were still active but had no current flights assigned.

United claims nothing can be done once the miles are redeposited. The answers sound too pat and the conspiracy part of me thinks that United may be taking advantage of any situation to get rid of the "old award" tickets.

Other experiences?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: United, Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Elite
It has kicked in as of today. Has anybody changed their minds about booking flights?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Business Saver Mileage Award tickets Q

I have a one way flight from CDG to DEN. I booked a Business Saver ticket for 57,500 miles. It is 3 flights; the first 2 are in Business; the last from ORD to DEN is economy. Not a deal breaker. The TA part is on 777-300

I found seats on Aeroplan site [same Business Saver] for flight on LH/UA where the TA is on LH A 380. It is only 2 segments which is nice. Only catch - 70,000 miles. We don't have the extra and don't want to buy the miles. Aeroplan wants 45,000 miles but $358 in fees/tax/surcharge.

When I asked why the difference - agent said "because it it over water and the seats are on upper deck"

?? Is this correct?

Is there a way I can get the tickets with 45,000 points and not pay those crazy fees?

Last edited by DebitNM; Aug 21, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.