Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by 747FC
The original amounts were refunded, with the new and higher amounts withdrawn. I had no activity related to the reservation since it was ticketed.

During my call with the Mileage Plus agent, she credited the account, and I could see the change. She laughed when I asked whether I would be getting an interest payment on the loan.
Sure, as long as you don't mind paying taxes on your balance

Gulp.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
If i book an award ticket in coach, can i change the award booking to business class later if R space opens up?
R is not correct. You're looking for I. R is the upgrade class on an revenue ticket
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Have you made any changes to the rez since you booked it, or was a completely random reprice?

I'd love to see them try that on my account which has a grand total of 999 miles left in it
You've got about 50% more than I.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:03 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by BF263533
Check with NH. UA may not be able to see what NH has in their system. My problem was the opposite. I had two F seats on the same LH A380 flight from MIA to FRA. UA insisted I did not, and LH agents and their system showed two ticketed seats. I should have checked in for both seats and moved from seat to seat in flight. Instead I was able to cancel at the counter during check-in, and another passenger was able to upgrade his wife to my seat. He said he tried for months to get the seat, I explained my story to him.

This is a Zombie thread. See

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-feb-3-a.html
NH didn't have a record of it.. so something got whacked when UA tried to restore my original reservation. Finally got new dates last night after over an hour on the phone and convincing them that NRT-HND in under 24 hrs wasn't a stopover.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Hi everyone,
. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
so much for this-have had 3 agents and a supervisor tell me that changing a flight from tokyo to penang to tokyo to denpasar will cost more miles...no reason for this to be the case as far as i can see
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by Happy
I think there are some hidden restrictions we do not know about Japan.

I tried to do a multi-city booking with the new chart

ICN-HKG-NRT-ICN and it errors out. At first I thought it was due to 3 regions involved.

However I can do ICN-BKK-SYD-BKK-HKG-ICN, with stop at both SYD and HKG, and 3 regions involved, website priced out with as a R/T N Asia to Australia and allowed the stopover at S Asia (HKG).

Yet whenever JPN is involved, nothing seems to work other than the most simple itineraries.

i live in jpn and there are 2 issues which seem to come up..
with complex itns 2 stops in japan on different legs(if you have 3 legs) causes problems.
also,for no extra mile changes changing destination and carrier at same time is not allowed..ie if you have an ana flight cannot switch to thai unless destination and origin same
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Can someone clarify for me:

I am currently booked BOS-ATH (stopover), ATH-JTR (destination), and then ATH-BOS home.

I want to switch to BOS-MUC (stopover), MUC-JTR (destination), and then the same ATH-BOS home.

Will this cost more miles? Would love to know before I spend an hour on the phone with UA.

Thx as always
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Can someone clarify for me:

I am currently booked BOS-ATH (stopover), ATH-JTR (destination), and then ATH-BOS home.

I want to switch to BOS-MUC (stopover), MUC-JTR (destination), and then the same ATH-BOS home.

Will this cost more miles? Would love to know before I spend an hour on the phone with UA.

Thx as always
Assuming cabin remains the same, there should be no additional miles for this change.

Note there is an extensive thread on this subject: successful-changes-awards-without-incurring-additional-miles-after-feb-3
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by hauteboy
NH didn't have a record of it.. so something got whacked when UA tried to restore my original reservation. Finally got new dates last night after over an hour on the phone and convincing them that NRT-HND in under 24 hrs wasn't a stopover.
Dumb and dumber. I have had similar problems with both US Air and United/CO. So I check with the partners frequently to make sure you still have a reservations. Sometimes the reservations just cancel. Is it the Shares system?

Also, just make sure that NH does not have two reservations under a different record.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Assuming cabin remains the same, there should be no additional miles for this change.

Note there is an extensive thread on this subject: successful-changes-awards-without-incurring-additional-miles-after-feb-3
Read through that thread, but just to confirm:

Currently have an r/t:

MCI-PHX-YVR
YVR-NRT / AKL-NRT /stopover/ HND-PEK-IAH-MCI

Would love to change the return to go NRT>USA city>MCI. Think there is any chance of doing so without a reprice, or would eliminating the China transit kill it?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Currently have an r/t:

MCI-PHX-YVR

Would love to change the return to go NRT>USA city>MCI. Think there is any chance of doing so without a reprice, or would eliminating the China transit kill it?
If you try and find out, please post a reply for those of us in a similar situation. Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Currently have an r/t:

MCI-PHX-YVR

It should not reprice. Origin and destination regions remain the same (and I'm assuming same cabin award type). It's just a change of routing.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It should not reprice. Origin and destination regions remain the same (and I'm assuming same cabin award type). It's just a change of routing.
If I can find space, I'll let you know what happens.. Tried several combinations so far, but space from NRT/HND>USA seems impossible. Virtually no saver C, especially to any of the hubs.

Originally Posted by 747FC
If you try and find out, please post a reply for those of us in a similar situation. Thanks.
Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
If I can find space, I'll let you know what happens.. Tried several combinations so far, but space from NRT/HND>USA seems impossible. Virtually no saver C, especially to any of the hubs.

Thanks
Can you post on the other, much more active thread?
successful-changes-awards-without-incurring-additional-miles-after-feb-3

I hope the two threads are combined, and the title of it be changed to experience of changes rather than successful changes.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
currently i am holding the following:

SMF-IAD (UA F)
IAD-BOS (UA Y)
BOS-ZRH (LX J)
stop
ZRH-ATH (LX J)
dest
ATH-IST (TK J)
IST-YYZ (TK J)
YYZ-DEN (UA F)

i'd like to change to

SFO-FRA-ZRH (LH J)
stop
ZRH-ATH (no change to this segment)
dest
ATH-FRA-DEN (LH J)

then later, attempt to change LH J -> LH F using the recent successes reported in the other thread.

is this first change going to result in a re-price? i can add SMF-LAX-SFO in saver Y right now to prevent an origin change, and try to swap for SMF-SFO later...or just drop the segments on a separate transaction...

Last edited by PV_Premier; Mar 12, 2014 at 9:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.