Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BF263533
This is a dead and now, somewhat confusing thread.

You can also check out

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-feb-3-a.html
With 20+ posts in the last day plus I'd say reports of this thread's death are premature.

Last edited by dsquared37; Feb 13, 2014 at 1:39 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by BF263533
This is a dead and now, somewhat confusing thread.

You can also check out

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-feb-3-a.html
Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG, Choice Hotels, Hyatt -Plat, Hilton, Carlson - Gold, BWR - Diamond, Marriott - Silver
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
I thought this was the case initially, but I've spent hours looking at the UA calendar using non-stops+UA-only and it's fairly scarce for any route >3+ hours. I've never seen so much white before or had so much trouble trying to book a connection on UA business.
Yes, I have had the same problem as I am looking for flights in January 2015 and there is hardly anything, Only a few Canadian Air ones. Now there are some economy class and first class with mixed cabin whereas you are flying economy your first leg, not very good. I guess United wants folks out if they do not fly 25+ times a year. I have around 500000 miles 99 percent of them from credit card usage and offers. The good days are gone. I must burn them quickly.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:32 pm

Award Pricing After Feb. 1

After Feb. 1 Will This Award Still Price the Same Way?

I tend to book awards that are NRT-FRA(or similar)-Bkk-NRT. BKK is my stopover on the way back to Tokyo. Though Europe-BKK requires more miles than Europe-NRT, pricing of such an award used to be the same as if I were merely flying NRT-FRA return. Does anyone know if the award pricing of such an itinerary is still done the same way. (I know total miles if more now, obviously, because of the devaluation.)

I cannot use the website to test out such a booking, because the booking always has to be put together manually on the phone. Website just gives an error message if the multiple leg feature is used.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by wolfman888
After Feb. 1 Will This Award Still Price the Same Way?

I tend to book awards that are NRT-FRA(or similar)-Bkk-NRT. BKK is my stopover on the way back to Tokyo. Though Europe-BKK requires more miles than Europe-NRT, pricing of such an award used to be the same as if I were merely flying NRT-FRA return. Does anyone know if the award pricing of such an itinerary is still done the same way. (I know total miles if more now, obviously, because of the devaluation.)

I cannot use the website to test out such a booking, because the booking always has to be put together manually on the phone. Website just gives an error message if the multiple leg feature is used.
The award chart devaluation has not impacted your ability to take a stopover on a roundtrip, longhaul award.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
The award chart devaluation has not impacted your ability to take a stopover on a roundtrip, longhaul award.
But they have also changed the routing rules (i.e. no more routing N.A. to S.E. Asia through Europe.)

I would consider it an open question as to whether BKK is a valid stop-over on a NRT-FRA award without paying FRA-BKK miles.

Or at least, I don't know the answer, but wouldn't assume no change to be the right one.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by raehl311
But they have also changed the routing rules (i.e. no more routing N.A. to S.E. Asia through Europe.)

I would consider it an open question as to whether BKK is a valid stop-over on a NRT-FRA award without paying FRA-BKK miles.

Or at least, I don't know the answer, but wouldn't assume no change to be the right one.
Just assume UA took away everything good about mileage redemptions.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:18 pm

Thanks for the input. The first response misses the point. I am not merely asking whether a stopover will still be permitted; my question regards how such a trip will price out, since I actually swing throw a more expensive zone on the way back to NRT.

The latter responses here leave me about where I was, which is that I, nor anyone seems to be sure. With certain other programs, I would be paying more not only for the FRA-BKK leg, but would also have to pay separately for the BKK-NRT route. This is what got my thinking about it.

My gut feeling is that United might not mind these swings through S.E. Asia on the way back from Europe being priced the same, since it takes a bit of pressure off of the very popular NRT-big European city routes. Then again, this thinking may indeed just be half-baked. I suppose I should just maybe call United.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:36 pm

Update, in case anyone besides me cares. Such an itinerary still prices out the same way as before, meaning that it requires the same number of miles as Japan-Europe direct.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
With 20+ posts in the last day plus I'd say reports of this thread's death are premature.
Just Zombies. Too many dead issues. Like all the posts in this thread that definitively state you can only make a date change. Effectively "new" rules were announced on Feb. 1, by "the United" as to award changes permitted. There should have been a clean thread starting after the "new-new" or "newer" rules were announced. Search the thread and you get a lot of confusion. Too much of this thread had to deal with speculation as a matter of necessity because United did not issue clarification until the last minute.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
United Charged More Miles for Previously Issued Ticket

Had two mileage tickets that were "purchased" on 1/5, complete with confirmation and e-ticket numbers.

In checking my account today, I I see that UA refunded the 140,000 yesterday, and repriced the tickets to 170,000 miles.

I called in, and the reservation agent said she could not do anything. She put me through to mileage plus, and that agent was able to credit back the 30K miles. Whew!

Is this a known problem?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:13 pm

Has anyone booked premium partner awards since the new chart went into effect (not counting changes)?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 747FC
Had two mileage tickets that were "purchased" on 1/5, complete with confirmation and e-ticket numbers.

In checking my account today, I I see that UA refunded the 140,000 yesterday, and repriced the tickets to 170,000 miles.

I called in, and the reservation agent said she could not do anything. She put me through to mileage plus, and that agent was able to credit back the 30K miles. Whew!

Is this a known problem?
Have you made any changes to the rez since you booked it, or was a completely random reprice?

I'd love to see them try that on my account which has a grand total of 999 miles left in it
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by raehl311
Wait, what? One agent claiming this is impossible or requires two awards does not imply a policy change happened.

Yes, some agents are not aware that this is possible. Yes, some agents believe that crossing both oceans requires a round the world ticket. No, none of these instances are policy.

I just tried booking JFK-SIN for later this week. United.com is offering me several JFK-FRA/ZRH-SIN itineraries...

Originally Posted by wolfman888
Update, in case anyone besides me cares. Such an itinerary still prices out the same way as before, meaning that it requires the same number of miles as Japan-Europe direct.
We had a similar quirk in the old award chart that SFO/LAX-SIN was cheaper than SFO/LAX-SYD but permitted routing via SYD (for SFO/LAX-SYD-SIN).
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Have you made any changes to the rez since you booked it, or was a completely random reprice?
I did not touch it since purchased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.