Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:26 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Had two mileage tickets that were "purchased" on 1/5, complete with confirmation and e-ticket numbers.

In checking my account today, I I see that UA refunded the 140,000 yesterday, and repriced the tickets to 170,000 miles.

I called in, and the reservation agent said she could not do anything. She put me through to mileage plus, and that agent was able to credit back the 30K miles. Whew!

Is this a known problem?
I had the same thing happen. Tickets last changed on 1/12, and I get a new confirmation email on 2/14. And 20,000 more miles are missing from my account. And looking at my account detail online, I have no idea why/what logic is being used.

Was there anything fishy in your account activity? Did it show the original amounts being refunded?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by gba
Was there anything fishy in your account activity? Did it show the original amounts being refunded?
The original amounts were refunded, with the new and higher amounts withdrawn. I had no activity related to the reservation since it was ticketed.

During my call with the Mileage Plus agent, she credited the account, and I could see the change. She laughed when I asked whether I would be getting an interest payment on the loan.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
The original amounts were refunded, with the new and higher amounts withdrawn. I had no activity related to the reservation since it was ticketed.

During my call with the Mileage Plus agent, she credited the account, and I could see the change. She laughed when I asked whether I would be getting an interest payment on the loan.
If you look at your receipt, did the award code change? And does the receipt show the new (higher) mileage amount, or the old amount? Trying to see how deep the change went and whether it will likely bite you if you try to make a change later.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
If you look at your receipt, did the award code change? And does the receipt show the new (higher) mileage amount, or the old amount? Trying to see how deep the change went and whether it will likely bite you if you try to make a change later.
The only receipt I have is for the original mileage purchase. I got no notification of the new and higher withdrawal from my account. I just happened to notice it when I logged on to the account today, and saw a lower-than-expected total in my account. When I looked further, I saw the redeposit of the original amount and the withdrawal of the higher amount.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
The only receipt I have is for the original mileage purchase. I got no notification of the new and higher withdrawal from my account. I just happened to notice it when I logged on to the account today, and saw a lower-than-expected total in my account. When I looked further, I saw the redeposit of the original amount and the withdrawal of the higher amount.
Look at the receipt from your reservation on united.com (there's a link toward the bottom to see the eReceipt)
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:54 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by hauteboy
ugh what a mess... tried making a date change on my AUS-ORD-NRT/HND-KIX-BKK F ticket, it let me select new flights, said 0 mileage difference even with a routing change (AUS-ORD-NRT/HND-BKK) but clicking on change ticket it errored out.... now trying to get agents to fix the ticket they keep coming back and saying I need more miles.. also they are putting me in J not F.

edit they are also claiming 16 hrs 'connection' NRT-HND is now counts as an additional 10k?

double edit. had them change it back to my original dates. They kept claiming AUS-NRT, HND-BKK should not have priced out to begin with... even with < 24hr stop in TYO.
Ugh, just checked my reservation that they 'fixed' back to my original dates and now all my segments on NH are missing.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Look at the receipt from your reservation on united.com (there's a link toward the bottom to see the eReceipt)
The reward code did not change.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Ugh, just checked my reservation that they 'fixed' back to my original dates and now all my segments on NH are missing.
Check with NH. UA may not be able to see what NH has in their system. My problem was the opposite. I had two F seats on the same LH A380 flight from MIA to FRA. UA insisted I did not, and LH agents and their system showed two ticketed seats. I should have checked in for both seats and moved from seat to seat in flight. Instead I was able to cancel at the counter during check-in, and another passenger was able to upgrade his wife to my seat. He said he tried for months to get the seat, I explained my story to him.

This is a Zombie thread. See

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-feb-3-a.html
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:45 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold

hmm.... I don't see any record in my account of the change I made on 1/7. It's possible that they just "forgot" to take the miles out of my account to 2/14 (that's what my account suggests) but I don't think that's right, I think they lost track of the fact that they'd already charged me.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:27 am

The reward code did not change.
Well, I guess that's why you got minimal push back on getting the miles back and bodes well for not having problems with future changes.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by gba
I had the same thing happen. Tickets last changed on 1/12, and I get a new confirmation email on 2/14. And 20,000 more miles are missing from my account. And looking at my account detail online, I have no idea why/what logic is being used.
You have >20k miles in your account?

LOL. If United wanted to take more miles out of my account they will be left with few hundreds to scrape off.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
You have >20k miles in your account?

LOL. If United wanted to take more miles out of my account they will be left with few hundreds to scrape off.
I had less than 1,000 on 2/3, but have almost 60,000 now -- All come from flight activities since 2/3.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
If i book an award ticket in coach, can i change the award booking to business class later if R space opens up?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
If i book an award ticket in coach, can i change the award booking to business class later if R space opens up?
Yes but you'll be on the hook for a change fee (if one applies to you) and difference in mileage. Since you're talking probability, I guess you don't have an actual reservation, thus, the new post 2/3 rates will apply.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Yes but you'll be on the hook for a change fee (if one applies to you) and difference in mileage. Since you're talking probability, I guess you don't have an actual reservation, thus, the new post 2/3 rates will apply.
i'm not too concerned about the mileage difference i got more than plenty to waste i just dont want my friend to be stuck in coach on SYD-LAX haha. Pretty sure PPs have no change fees either but i could be wrong.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.