Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by hedur
That's EXACTLY what they should say now. Quite frankly, if they're not going to charge for date/routing/carrier/destination changes it makes absolutely no sense to reprice for people simply trying to move into the cabin they would have had in the first place if availability had been there. It's irritating that this is even a debate, let alone the fact that it seems people actually have been charged more miles for moving into a cabin they already paid for.
It would also be a customer-friendly move that would generate some good will for an airline that hasn't really had much of it lately. And really, this only applies to a (relatively) small number of bookings anyway. This problem completely disappears in a year when it's precisely clear how much should be charged for what.

What I do fear is that they'll instead write up some even more drastic rules and strongly-worded memos that outline a variety of scenarios they'll ask their agents to enforce. All it takes is one memo saying "You may not move a customer into a higher cabin even if they've already "paid" for the higher cabin as part of a multi-segment award without repricing using the new chart" and the game is over.

Or, at least the game will be over for agents who read the memos
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by turgutbey
Under the UA Insider "policy" posted here you should. BUT, my experience was a bit different. I was booked DCA-YYZ-MXP-MUC-ADB. I called in to change to IAD-MUC when it opened up on LH. Agent told me it would require 20,000 more miles.

It was at that point I logged into my account to view the reservation and noticed there was also a significant schedule change (6 hours) on my original MUC-ADB leg. I used that as leverage to rebook onto completely new flights IAD-MUC(UA)-ADB w/o a mileage increase.

But I'm bothered that agent wanted more miles to begin with. Maybe b/c of departure airport change? Although DCA and IAD should be considered co-terminals. Anyway, hope my experience is helpful. Definitely seems like HUCA territory.

FYI, reservation still shows my pre-Feb 1 ticketing date.
The bolded shouldn't matter according to the policy posted by UA Insider, provided that there is no change in origin/destination region.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hadrian35
I'm looking at my intin for 2/25 SEA-IAD-FRA-PRG (UA then LH) and trying to move that to the previous day... there isn't anything, staying on LH even, that I can get that doesn't trigger reprice, same cabin, same origin and destination. I must be missing something or IT has yet to work this out but this is ridiculous.
I think it's being more or less universally reported that .com is repricing and you have to call.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You definitely have to call. I just changed this:

JFK-FRA-ADD-NBO,DAR-JNB-CPT,CPT-JNB-FRA-JFK

to this:

EWR-FRA-ADD-NBO,DAR-JNB-CPT,CPT-JNB-FRA-YUL-EWR

including some date changes. The system wanted mre miles but when I told the agent it needed to be manually repriced she was able to reissue it with the assistance of a supervisr.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:27 am

I changed the final legs of my USA-South Africa-Spain-USA trip from PMI-MUC-IAD-LGA to PMI-FRA-JFK.

The PMI-MUC-IAD-LGA was X-I-X, and the PMI-FRA-JFK is now I-I.

I asked the CSR to do a manual reprice, and was asked for no additional miles, only $10 more in taxes.

So I too can confirm that changing date, changing routing, and being put into a higher class that has already been paid for, will not cause any additional mileage collect.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: PP
Good news :-)

I just checked by changing my pre-2/1 award ticket online, now it shows 0 miles needed for different dates/same class of service. The online system is now working again!!! Thank you, United.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:31 pm

@ukinny2000, you made my day! Fingers crossed they continue to honor these types of awards where F redemption has already been redeemed and the F seat becomes available. Congrats on your success.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pmanisa

I just checked by changing my pre-2/1 award ticket online, now it shows 0 miles needed for different dates/same class of service. The online system is now working again!!! Thank you, United.
Is that for an international award? Still doesn't work for me. Can't even search for a change in the flights as it errors out for a US - SE Asia award I had previously booked. Looks like I'll be calling...
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: PP
Originally Posted by bluedog423
Is that for an international award? Still doesn't work for me. Can't even search for a change in the flights as it errors out for a US - SE Asia award I had previously booked. Looks like I'll be calling...
Yes... International Award...I was also looking to change my US-SE Asia ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Just had a funny experience changing a date on the return half of an award ticket where I've already used the first parts. I had the usual experience reported by others, where I was advised of the increased miles needed in addition to the expected $25 change fee, but both were waived after the agent spoke with her supervisor.

The funny part, though, is that she originally quoted me a 5k mile additional charge that made no sense. My ticket had been J outbound and F return for 135k total (all non-UA), so I figured the increase would be either 65k or 85k, depending upon whether they had to reprice the complete roundtrip due to a stopover on the outbound. Apparently either the computer or the agent had compared the 135k total to the new 140k one-way to arrive at a 5k difference! I can certainly see why such wildly inconsistent results are reported here.

P.S. The agent, who was really quite pleasant, did say that the award repricing waiver was a one-time courtesy and would not be given to me again for any future date changes.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Just had a funny experience changing a date on the return half of an award ticket where I've already used the first parts. I had the usual experience reported by others, where I was advised of the increased miles needed in addition to the expected $25 change fee, but both were waived after the agent spoke with her supervisor.

The funny part, though, is that she originally quoted me a 5k mile additional charge that made no sense. My ticket had been J outbound and F return for 135k total (all non-UA), so I figured the increase would be either 65k or 85k, depending upon whether they had to reprice the complete roundtrip due to a stopover on the outbound. Apparently either the computer or the agent had compared the 135k total to the new 140k one-way to arrive at a 5k difference! I can certainly see why such wildly inconsistent results are reported here.

P.S. The agent, who was really quite pleasant, did say that the award repricing waiver was a one-time courtesy and would not be given to me again for any future date changes.
It was JUST a date change?

If so, that is frustrating given that date changes were one of the things explicitly highlighted even BEFORE Feb-1 as something that wouldn't incur a reprice.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by villox
It was JUST a date change?

If so, that is frustrating given that date changes were one of the things explicitly highlighted even BEFORE Feb-1 as something that wouldn't incur a reprice.
Not sure if it's considered JUST a date change. I was changing an early morning flight to the previous one the night before, so technically it was both a date change and a flight number change, if that makes a difference. Same carrier and routing, though. The agent definitely had not heard that any kinds of changes were allowed.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:54 pm

Not sure if it's considered JUST a date change. I was changing an early morning flight to the previous one the night before, so technically it was both a date change and a flight number change, if that makes a difference. Same carrier and routing, though. The agent definitely had not heard that any kinds of changes were allowed.
That last sentence is why I wouldn't put a lot of stock into her assertion that changes are only a "one-time courtesy".
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by hedur
That last sentence is why I wouldn't put a lot of stock into her assertion that changes are only a "one-time courtesy".
Didn't believe it myself, but didn't seem worth arguing on this call.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:21 pm

Didn't believe it myself, but didn't seem worth arguing on this call.
Good move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.