Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by villox
Or, a lot of people booked whatever was opened in advance of the devaluation.
wonder how many miles were spent between the announcement and 2/3/14. My guess is UA will have to shell out a lot of money to *A partner airlines this year
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
I've posted the same in the Saver Award Release thread, since late December UA-metal Business Saver Awards scaled back significantly almost overnight on both TATL and Domestic.

My gut tells me when they were doing the IT for the new award chart, the probably also changed the algorithm for how they release UA-metal Business Saver Awards.
Also, even if they don't change the algorithm, there will be fewer UA metal seats available due to the substitution effect. If the price of Coke goes up, people buy more Pepsi. On the domestic side, we'll be out of Coke entirely once US leaves *A.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by CherylD
Thought I would add my experience today. I booked a LH F FRA-IAD on 1/30 purely as speculative - only thing I could grab. Cancelled without redeposting miles 2 days ago.

Today I was able to change that to a LH FRA-MUC-YUL-ORD. Agent first said she couldn't do it - date/time only. But I pushed(very gently) and said I had read that this could be done. She put me on hold to check with another agent. Over 15 minutes later - came back to ask if DH and I had US passports(?) I said yes, and then she said it could be done.
Does anyone not find this strange? I mean, I am happy for you, but why would they bend/break the rules? Also, can anyone speculate on why U.S. citizenship would matter?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by wolfman888
Does anyone not find this strange? I mean, I am happy for you, but why would they bend/break the rules? Also, can anyone speculate on why U.S. citizenship would matter?
I am not sure I see this as a bending of the rules. It seems to just further confirm that you can continue working with a cancelled ticket, unless I am reading it incorrectly. I understood that changing the destination for pre-2/3 tickets to a city in the same region should be permitted per UA Insider.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Derrico
I understood that changing the destination for pre-2/3 tickets to a city in the same region should be permitted per UA Insider.
My experience in the past few days is just this.

Changed the origin (but staying in the same region); changed the connection (staying in the same region); changed the destination (staying in the same region).

All cabins remained the same except the destination which moved from Y to C as the award was ticketed in C.

This was also done online, who knows what you'd encounter on the phone.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:08 am

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3 Feb. 2014

I've kept up with this thread, and I'm looking for further advice on a change I'm considering.

I booked the following award before the award chart changes:

SYD-BKK (O) TG
BKK-ICN (I) TG
ICN-JFK (O) OZ

I would like to add the following segment on the same day I arrive at JFK:

EWR-YYT (I) UA

This is a United flight to St. John's, NL, Canada. It is unclear to me whether or not this should require a change in miles required. It changes the destination within the same award region (Mainland U.S., Alaska, & Canada ), but it adds a flight on a new carrier (United). This is not a stopover, and I'm fairly certain JFK and EWR are considered co-terminals.

I can't make this change online (error message) and two calls to United have said additional miles are required. The second agent spoke to a team lead who said something along the lines of "additional miles are required because Australia to US is a WF88 series award and Australia to Canada is a WF89 series award so there's a region change." My understand is that Mainland U.S. and Canada are the same award region. Am I missing something here?

Two questions:
1) Do you think I should be able to make this change without changing to new mileage levels?
2) If yes, what are the magic words to use with the United phone agent?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
If the receipt shows new ticket numbers and new itinerary then you should be all set, in theory.

You can also do the following to make sure everything is in order.

1) Plug your ticket numbers on Saudi site - it would show the full details of your tickets if they are properly reissued. Plug your OLD ticket numbers on Saudi site - it would show the old tickets are now Exch/Reissue.

2) Call MP, using the phone tree and choose the option "Get Receipt" which I think it is on the 3rd layer of the phone maze. Then it would kick out the email to you.

Else you can also try to Add Email, then request receipt - it would also send you the updated receipt.
I'm on the Saudi Airlines site And cannot figure out where to plug in the ticket number. Can you direct me please?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cruisr
I'm on the Saudi Airlines site And cannot figure out where to plug in the ticket number. Can you direct me please?
Click Manage Bookings, change the radio button to e-Ticket, enter 016 in the first field and then the rest of the number and your last name. Click Retrieve My Booking.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by bluedog423
Click Manage Bookings, change the radio button to e-Ticket, enter 016 in the first field and then the rest of the number and your last name. Click Retrieve My Booking.
Thanks. That worked.

Next question. Under coupon status my ua flights say "open for use". My LH flights say "airport control". Is that normal?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. That worked.

Next question. Under coupon status my ua flights say "open for use". My LH flights say "airport control". Is that normal?
I believe in the case of LH it is saying that because seat assignments are restricted. Or you've checkedin.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:02 am

Date Changes to Entire Flight or Segments?

I originally booked an LH F award from DXB-FRA-JFK before the devaluation. When I call United later in the year to make the new changes, can I make changes to date/time for each segment separately or will that trigger new award pricing? I want to book the first DXB-FRA segment right when availability comes up as well as the FRA-JFK.

Also if I can't find award availability from FRA to JFK, I would like the possibility of booking to a different destination city instead of JFK (i.e. ORD, IAH, MIA)

Any ideas?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS
Thanks. That worked.

Yes, mine are always like this. On mine, my first and last flights are UA and say open for use, and all of the partner flights show airport control.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:54 pm

I am attempting to book a round-trip award reservation and am getting an error when I hit search.

Is this just a website error, or is this not do-able after 2/1?

Routing is:
-outbound - WAS-YYZ (United), YYZ-South America (AC)
-inbound - South America-WAS (United)
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milesunited
I am attempting to book a round-trip award reservation and am getting an error when I hit search.

Is this just a website error, or is this not do-able after 2/1?

Routing is:
-outbound - WAS-YYZ (United), YYZ-South America (AC)
-inbound - South America-WAS (United)
Don't use WAS -- city codes rarely work well on award searchs
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by gateguard0
I've kept up with this thread, and I'm looking for further advice on a change I'm considering.

I booked the following award before the award chart changes:

SYD-BKK (O) TG
BKK-ICN (I) TG
ICN-JFK (O) OZ

I would like to add the following segment on the same day I arrive at JFK:

EWR-YYT (I) UA

This is a United flight to St. John's, NL, Canada. It is unclear to me whether or not this should require a change in miles required. It changes the destination within the same award region (Mainland U.S., Alaska, & Canada ), but it adds a flight on a new carrier (United). This is not a stopover, and I'm fairly certain JFK and EWR are considered co-terminals.

I can't make this change online (error message) and two calls to United have said additional miles are required. The second agent spoke to a team lead who said something along the lines of "additional miles are required because Australia to US is a WF88 series award and Australia to Canada is a WF89 series award so there's a region change." My understand is that Mainland U.S. and Canada are the same award region. Am I missing something here?

Two questions:
1) Do you think I should be able to make this change without changing to new mileage levels?
2) If yes, what are the magic words to use with the United phone agent?

Thanks in advance!
This is a dead and now, somewhat confusing thread.

You can also check out

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-feb-3-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.