Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CALMSP
while thats always the "catch phrase", does this mean you would not fly on Southwest or Frontier if one of their pilots sat in coach before their next flight?
I would not fly any airline that doesn't have business class on multi-hour flights.

But that's more for my comfort than pilot rest reasons.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CALMSP
while thats always the "catch phrase", does this mean you would not fly on Southwest or Frontier if one of their pilots sat in coach before their next flight?
No scenario I would ever fly Southwest or Frontier (or Spirit or Allegiant) - but that has nothing to do with pilots.
benewr and threecap like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
This is not shenanigans per se but on UA 715 today (SAN-IAH) a passenger fought his way back upstream to the front (I was in 2E) to say that the passenger in his seat (10F) got upgraded to 2A but didn’t want to move. FA went back to row 10, confirmed, then sat 10F into 2A. I’m sure BOS, J wouldn’t be happy if he knew.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Talking

Originally Posted by st530
This is not shenanigans per se but on UA 715 today (SAN-IAH) a passenger fought his way back upstream to the front (I was in 2E) to say that the passenger in his seat (10F) got upgraded to 2A but didn’t want to move. FA went back to row 10, confirmed, then sat 10F into 2A. I’m sure BOS, J wouldn’t be happy if he knew.
Hmm. Sounds like GAT, R. wanted/preferred to sit wth GAT, M. and not deal with 10F (probably another GAT as well).

That being said, did this flight actually have 10 rows of Domestic First seating since the list posted shows the two GATs also upgraded?

David
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

img
Saw similar a couple months ago on a shorter flight (IAD-ORD). FA in uniform boarded at end to one of the forward E+ seats, which was occupied, followed by GA with F BP for the passenger seated there. Passenger decided he didn't wanted to move up and told FA to take the seat. Instead of doing the full shuffle to get 2. on the list up and FA into that seat, they just went with it.

I was something like 5 or 7 on the list so didn't make a fuss, but I would have been pretty miffed if I were 2.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked UA715 for myself. - it was a 739 so only 5 rows of "United First".

Also, post flight, ROD, F. no longer shows up as upgraded.

Still don't get what it means that two of those on the list are "upgraded" to 10D and 10E - those are E+.

David
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Just checked UA715 for myself. - it was a 739 so only 5 rows of "United First".

Also, post flight, ROD, F. no longer shows up as upgraded.

Still don't get what it means that two of those on the list are "upgraded" to 10D and 10E - those are E+.

David
Usually it's a declined or revoked upgrade. It's a bit odd that both GAT,_'s got the up/down, but I suppose the sequence must have been i) GAT,M gets UG and says no thanks if only me, ii) GAT,R gets UG to 2A and decides to just not take it on board, iii) not-BOS,J finds GAT,R in seat and lucks into un-merited 2A.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Usually it's a declined or revoked upgrade. It's a bit odd that both GAT,_'s got the up/down, but I suppose the sequence must have been i) GAT,M gets UG and says no thanks if only me, ii) GAT,R gets UG to 2A and decides to just not take it on board, iii) not-BOS,J finds GAT,R in seat and lucks into un-merited 2A.
OK - then how do folks get "upgraded" to E+ seats?

David
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
OK - then how do folks get "upgraded" to E+ seats?

David
By having that seat in the first place. It's a spurious display — once you're on the list, it just shows whichever seat you're in, no matter which cabin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
By having that seat in the first place. It's a spurious display — once you're on the list, it just shows whichever seat you're in, no matter which cabin.
Guess they must be special.

David
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
a popular social media influencer (“victoria paris”) with no UA status was op-up’d from Y into polaris on today’s UA79 EWR-NRT.

the influencer posted a series of tiktoks obviously thrilled about the upgrade. someone claiming to be the gate agent (who has account that seems to substantiate her employment with UA) comments on one of the posts “i was the gate agent that upgraded you love you queen”
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
a popular social media influencer (“victoria paris”) with no UA status was op-up’d from Y into polaris on today’s UA79 EWR-NRT.

the influencer posted a series of tiktoks obviously thrilled about the upgrade. someone claiming to be the gate agent (who has account that seems to substantiate her employment with UA) comments on one of the posts “i was the gate agent that upgraded you love you queen”
Not sure what the upgrade list looked like before the flight, but everyone currently on the upgrade list appears to be a non-rev, and at least one non-rev appears to have gotten upgraded also. So this doesn't feel like "shenanigans" so much as "how to make every other gate agent hate me," because I guarantee that this starts to revive all of the nonsense about how if you pester the gate agent in just the right way, you'll magically get upgraded.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by riphamilton

If true, definitely shenanigans! Her real name is Victoria Annunziato.https://wikifamouspeople.com/victori...acts-and-more/

Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limey1K
If true, definitely shenanigans!
If there are no paid customers waiting for an upgrade, then there are no shenanigans involved. (Although, whatever happened to the idea that UA will always prioritize any NR over any lowly "customer" who "pays money?")
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
If there are no paid customers waiting for an upgrade, then there are no shenanigans involved. (Although, whatever happened to the idea that UA will always prioritize any NR over any lowly "customer" who "pays money?")
So how does the UG process but not show up on the list of upgraded people?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.