Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
LOL, UA’s alphabet, apparently.

At one point — fairly recently, I thought — they were alphabetical. Now, I don’t know what, if any, order they’re in.
Alphabetical by first name?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Huh? The cleared list is in alphabetical order.

I think the answer to your question, unfortunately, is that there are two separate upgrade lists, because I’ve seen different orders on the app and on the website.
Maybe you aren't flying UA much lately? The cleared list hasn't been in alphabetical order for more than a year.

Random flight I was on yesterday. Note that the first three were cleared ahead of time (in that order) and the last three were cleared at the gate at T-30m. They also appear in the order they were upgraded.

-RM
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Maybe you aren't flying UA much lately?
No — just clearing at the window or not at all. The only recent time I remember noticing the cleared list was when I was the only one on it, after I’d bought up.

Obviously things have changed. But the rest of my reply holds true — the reason is probably that the list isn’t really the list, which, unfortunately, makes it impossible to distinguish shenanigans from proper list functionality.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
the reason is probably that the list isn’t really the list, which, unfortunately, makes it impossible to distinguish shenanigans from proper list functionality.
Agree, the list is no longer accurate and so doesn't really provide useful info anymore. It will sometimes show pax who bought up, and conversely, not show pax who were upgraded.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any theories about what happened on this one?

O upgrade standby list
O upgrade standby list an hour later

(Hope PER, W. won't have a cow — or two — upon noticing that.)
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
LOL, UA’s alphabet, apparently.

At one point — fairly recently, I thought — they were alphabetical. Now, I don’t know what, if any, order they’re in.
I could swear I remember that too. Was it maybe in the CO days?
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fumje
Any theories about what happened on this one?
Inventory went to RN6, 1-2 & 4-7 quickly noticed and cancelled/re-applied PP manually?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Inventory went to RN6, 1-2 & 4-7 quickly noticed and cancelled/re-applied PP manually?
I contemplated that but felt it was improbably, since it seems like there are so many unlikely coincidences that would be needed: i. inventory was O9A0 at the first check, and it was about midday, which usually isn't a time of day that they level inventory; ii. seems kind of unlikely that six people, or even just two separate parties of two or three, would be so on top of monitoring as to all/both catch it in the same hour; iii. all six that did clear were using pluspoints, since MUA can't be toggled that way.

Could be, but I think just too many things needed to line up for that to be it.
econ likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Alphabetical by first name?
One of the favorites I like to pull from time to time...
"Ok! Line up! Alphabetically by height!"
uanj and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:01 am

There is clearly some kind of bug with the display list fueling these stories, as reported here. I was UA915 to CDG a couple days ago. Partner and I applied for MUA, me plat, she no status. At T48 they cleared a bunch of upgrades, then at T28 ish they cleared a few more. At that point a new person appeared as #1 on the list, my partner is at #2. At T24 my partner and another clear, person at #1 remains at #1. This continues on until T8 or so where the person disappears from the list (final status unknown)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
There is clearly some kind of bug with the display list fueling these stories, as reported here. I was UA915 to CDG a couple days ago. Partner and I applied for MUA, me plat, she no status. At T48 they cleared a bunch of upgrades, then at T28 ish they cleared a few more. At that point a new person appeared as #1 on the list, my partner is at #2. At T24 my partner and another clear, person at #1 remains at #1. This continues on until T8 or so where the person disappears from the list (final status unknown)
i suppose the real question is did you clear before partner? lol
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
So I am sitting on a flight to Seattle after boarding. I am one on the waitlist with GS plus points applied as it is fully booked but shows 15/16 checked in. It gets to t-25 minutes to departure and lo and behold the man beneath me on the upgrade list clears ahead of me. Can anyone shed light as to how this happens??

Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ChazzaBazza
So I am sitting on a flight to Seattle after boarding. I am one on the waitlist with GS plus points applied as it is fully booked but shows 15/16 checked in. It gets to t-25 minutes to departure and lo and behold the man beneath me on the upgrade list clears ahead of me. Can anyone shed light as to how this happens??
I'm guessing they took a buy up offer?
uanj likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
Is that possible after check in though and within 29 minutes to departure? He also moved from behind me on the plane to the front so it was after his boarding as well.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'll be eagerly awaiting some explanation for this one that does NOT involve shenanigans, because it sure smells fishy to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.