Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:47 am
  #226  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CLE, DCA, and 30k feet
Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Posts: 4,230
Originally Posted by jsloan
LOL, UAs alphabet, apparently.

At one point fairly recently, I thought they were alphabetical. Now, I dont know what, if any, order theyre in.
Alphabetical by first name?
lincolnjkc is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:33 am
  #227  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Posts: 10,352
Originally Posted by jsloan
Huh? The cleared list is in alphabetical order.

I think the answer to your question, unfortunately, is that there are two separate upgrade lists, because Ive seen different orders on the app and on the website.
Maybe you aren't flying UA much lately? The cleared list hasn't been in alphabetical order for more than a year.

Random flight I was on yesterday. Note that the first three were cleared ahead of time (in that order) and the last three were cleared at the gate at T-30m. They also appear in the order they were upgraded.


-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:54 am
  #228  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,625
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Maybe you aren't flying UA much lately?
No just clearing at the window or not at all. The only recent time I remember noticing the cleared list was when I was the only one on it, after Id bought up.

Obviously things have changed. But the rest of my reply holds true the reason is probably that the list isnt really the list, which, unfortunately, makes it impossible to distinguish shenanigans from proper list functionality.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:42 am
  #229  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,703
Originally Posted by jsloan
the reason is probably that the list isnt really the list, which, unfortunately, makes it impossible to distinguish shenanigans from proper list functionality.
Agree, the list is no longer accurate and so doesn't really provide useful info anymore. It will sometimes show pax who bought up, and conversely, not show pax who were upgraded.
jsloan likes this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:16 am
  #230  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,577
Any theories about what happened on this one?

O upgrade standby list
O upgrade standby list an hour later

(Hope PER, W. won't have a cow — or two — upon noticing that.)
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
fumje is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:29 am
  #231  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MFR
Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,902
Originally Posted by jsloan
LOL, UAs alphabet, apparently.

At one point fairly recently, I thought they were alphabetical. Now, I dont know what, if any, order theyre in.
I could swear I remember that too. Was it maybe in the CO days?
jsloan likes this.
chavala is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:15 pm
  #232  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Posts: 4,595
Originally Posted by fumje
Any theories about what happened on this one?
Inventory went to RN6, 1-2 & 4-7 quickly noticed and cancelled/re-applied PP manually?
econ is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:03 pm
  #233  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,577
Originally Posted by econ
Inventory went to RN6, 1-2 & 4-7 quickly noticed and cancelled/re-applied PP manually?
I contemplated that but felt it was improbably, since it seems like there are so many unlikely coincidences that would be needed: i. inventory was O9A0 at the first check, and it was about midday, which usually isn't a time of day that they level inventory; ii. seems kind of unlikely that six people, or even just two separate parties of two or three, would be so on top of monitoring as to all/both catch it in the same hour; iii. all six that did clear were using pluspoints, since MUA can't be toggled that way.

Could be, but I think just too many things needed to line up for that to be it.
econ likes this.
fumje is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:19 pm
  #234  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Alphabetical by first name?
One of the favorites I like to pull from time to time...
"Ok! Line up! Alphabetically by height!"
uanj and lincolnjkc like this.
huey_driver is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:01 am
  #235  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 623
There is clearly some kind of bug with the display list fueling these stories, as reported here. I was UA915 to CDG a couple days ago. Partner and I applied for MUA, me plat, she no status. At T48 they cleared a bunch of upgrades, then at T28 ish they cleared a few more. At that point a new person appeared as #1 on the list, my partner is at #2. At T24 my partner and another clear, person at #1 remains at #1. This continues on until T8 or so where the person disappears from the list (final status unknown)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
prometa is offline  
Old Nov 13, 2023, 11:09 am
  #236  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PWM
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 1,341
Originally Posted by prometa
There is clearly some kind of bug with the display list fueling these stories, as reported here. I was UA915 to CDG a couple days ago. Partner and I applied for MUA, me plat, she no status. At T48 they cleared a bunch of upgrades, then at T28 ish they cleared a few more. At that point a new person appeared as #1 on the list, my partner is at #2. At T24 my partner and another clear, person at #1 remains at #1. This continues on until T8 or so where the person disappears from the list (final status unknown)
i suppose the real question is did you clear before partner? lol
sexykitten7 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:33 pm
  #237  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: NYC/SEA
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 86
So I am sitting on a flight to Seattle after boarding. I am one on the waitlist with GS plus points applied as it is fully booked but shows 15/16 checked in. It gets to t-25 minutes to departure and lo and behold the man beneath me on the upgrade list clears ahead of me. Can anyone shed light as to how this happens??



ChazzaBazza is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:55 pm
  #238  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 6,458
Originally Posted by ChazzaBazza
So I am sitting on a flight to Seattle after boarding. I am one on the waitlist with GS plus points applied as it is fully booked but shows 15/16 checked in. It gets to t-25 minutes to departure and lo and behold the man beneath me on the upgrade list clears ahead of me. Can anyone shed light as to how this happens??
I'm guessing they took a buy up offer?
uanj likes this.
bmwe92fan is online now  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:56 pm
  #239  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: NYC/SEA
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 86
Is that possible after check in though and within 29 minutes to departure? He also moved from behind me on the plane to the front so it was after his boarding as well.
ChazzaBazza is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:03 pm
  #240  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA USA
Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Posts: 3,721
I'll be eagerly awaiting some explanation for this one that does NOT involve shenanigans, because it sure smells fishy to me.
DJ_Iceman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.