FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limey1K
So how does the UG process but not show up on the list of upgraded people?
Op-ups would never show on the list of upgraded people. And, in fact, plenty of processed upgrades never show on the list of upgraded people. The list is basically meaningless.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and huey_driver like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
If true, definitely shenanigans! Her real name is Victoria Annunziato.https://wikifamouspeople.com/victori...acts-and-more/
that can’t be her current legal last name. she posted a pic of her paper boarding pass with her last name obscured; it has significantly fewer characters than Annunziato.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by riphamilton
that can’t be her current legal last name. she posted a pic of her paper boarding pass with her last name obscured; it has significantly fewer characters than Annunziato.
I guess it's all irrelevant if GA's can ultimately do whatever they want and the UG list is useless as a basis for gauging anything. If that's all true, then there is no such thing as shenanigans either.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:45 pm

Link?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by malgudi
Link?
her tiktok.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
So how does the UG process but not show up on the list of upgraded people?
I have been upgraded numerous times at the gate and it NEVER shows up on the list. I have even had several recent upgrades after the "doors close" and obviously no way those upgrades get posted.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Op-ups would never show on the list of upgraded people. And, in fact, plenty of processed upgrades never show on the list of upgraded people. The list is basically meaningless.
If I was an employee waitlisted, I would call shenanigans for sure - and if I was United airlines, I would not appreciate a gate agent upgrading a coach customer to a premium cabin with a higher service delivery cost because the gate agent "is a fan."

This definitely should be reported, and the gate agent written up....and that's aside from the fact these social media influencers are generally obnoxious pests to begin with.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If I was an employee waitlisted, I would call shenanigans for sure - and if I was United airlines, I would not appreciate a gate agent upgrading a coach customer to a premium cabin with a higher service delivery cost because the gate agent "is a fan."

This was my initial reaction also; but on reflection it might not be such a bad thing after all, and in the bizzaro [to me] TicToc world, might have garnered United some good, cheap and positive publicity for a change.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Well, she put her PNR, ticket number and seat assignment on TikTok so I guess it shouldn't be too hard to find out who gave her the freebie. I'm sure United would have preferred to monetize that seat somehow.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it's all irrelevant if GA's can ultimately do whatever they want and the UG list is useless as a basis for gauging anything. If that's all true, then there is no such thing as shenanigans either.
The upgrade list itself is reasonably useful (sadly, not as useful as it once was). It's the cleared list that's mostly useless.

Every person on the upgrade list was also on the standby list. While there are other times that can occur, most of the time that means non-rev travel.

(Also, Y didn't go out full, so there wasn't actually a need to op-up anybody).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:04 pm

a popular social media influencer (“victoria paris”) with no UA status was op-up’d from Y into polaris on today’s UA79 EWR-NRT.

the influencer posted a series of tiktoks obviously thrilled about the upgrade. someone claiming to be the gate agent (who has account that seems to substantiate her employment with UA) comments on one of the posts “i was the gate agent that upgraded you love you queen”
Originally Posted by jsloan
(Also, Y didn't go out full, so there wasn't actually a need to op-up anybody).
Looks like PremiumPlus was oversold even after clearing all revenue upgrade requests? (PremiumPlus showing full and no one cleared upgrades into that cabin).

Edit: seems that is exactly the situation. Also a good reminder about not posting your ticket #/PNR on a public page, since a little bit of google searching to figure out her last name exposed her entire itinerary. But overall, doesn't actually appear to actually be shena, just someone saying economy when they were in premium economy..

edit again: just another thought or reminder, it is pretty easy to figure out who someone is once you put some basic information about yourself online. While this TikToker appears to have tried to avoid her last name being out there (including apparently giving out a false last name, as whatever someone posted earlier is way off). It took 3 google searches to find (but could have been done in 2), I missed a subtle thing on the first set of results that as soon as I saw it refined my 3rd search enough to easily figure out. So be careful what you put out there

And the last take away, while things seem like it could be shena to us, its not always the case since we don't have all the information.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Mar 8, 2023 at 5:49 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:22 pm

Well, she put her PNR, ticket number and seat assignment on TikTok so I guess it shouldn't be too hard to find out who gave her the freebie. I'm sure United would have preferred to monetize that seat somehow.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Edit: seems that is exactly the situation. Also a good reminder about not posting your ticket #/PNR on a public page, since a little bit of google searching to figure out her last name exposed her entire itinerary. But overall, doesn't actually appear to actually be shena, just someone saying economy when they were in premium economy..
That makes more sense about needing an op-up then. But without status, it's implausible that she was at the top of the op-up list.

Mostly, this is a reminder that gate agents do not always follow the proper procedure for op-up. If they needed the seat, it should have gone to the highest status member in the P+ cabin. But this still doesn't rankle me that much, because if you didn't apply an instrument, IMO, you forfeited the right to complain about who sits where.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I am just in awe of this community being able to figure out and re-create exactly what happened to a complete stranger on a United flight!
zombietooth, chavala and threecap like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Which is more evidence, assuming any is needed, that most of these social media influencers have the intelligence of a gumdrop.

Reninded me of the “influencer” I had on an Air Canada flight a few months ago who wore pants so tight the entire terminal was her gynecologist, who proceeded to push her way to the front of the boarding line, after which she spun around and raised her camera to shoot a live video of her fabulousness getting ready to board.

Sadly the law frowns upon zapping these people with a cattle prod because that’s definitely something I would have posted on my own Instagram feed.
Xyzzy, NY-FLA, lincolnjkc and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.