FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I swear in the CO days, before the app was a glimmer in anyone's eye (anyone remember pda.continental.com?) up to 30% of a GA's workload pre-boarding could be summarized as "Will my upgrade/standby clear?" (Some of the old CO outstations still have the refrigerator clips adjacent to the podium where proactive gate agents would print and post the ranked list of NRSAs for that flight; don't believe that ever included revenue upgrades though)
Agreed, although IIRC it was actually a free-for-all once it got to the gate. “Do you happen to have any upgrades available on CO1234?” The answer was almost always yes — IIRC I had something like 100 consecutive segments in F, except for two that I had cleared at T-100 or whatever it was, but had to do a last-minute change to full flights.

Those were the days.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed, although IIRC it was actually a free-for-all once it got to the gate. “Do you happen to have any upgrades available on CO1234?” The answer was almost always yes — IIRC I had something like 100 consecutive segments in F, except for two that I had cleared at T-100 or whatever it was, but had to do a last-minute change to full flights.

Those were the days.
HAHA! CO1234 was DEN-BOI. I flew it many times, always in upgraded F
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
This happened to me once. Mid-flight I felt a tap on my shoulder and some guy standing there says he was #1 and this was supposed to be his seat. Would I mind explaining how I got upgraded ahead of him?
I stared at him for a few seconds before putting my headphones back on and ignoring him. The FA told him to return to his seat.
So no, I don’t think it’s a good idea to disturb a total stranger to satisfy your curiosity. You’ll only make an arse of yourself.
Well, good thing I did, otherwise people would be telling me here that he paid for it and I should suck it up. There are serious problems with the United upgrade list and/or the gate agents.
(Also, I asked him after the flight, I wouldn't want to create any uncomfortable situations in a confined space. And I was very friendly about it, I swear!)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:54 pm

Well, given that I am 100% certain that there are at least two lists, what’s to say that there aren’t three? Or, more to the point, what’s to say that there aren’t two, but you, the gate agent, and the guy who got upgraded were all looking at the wrong one? And yes, I understand how ridiculous this sounds, but I’m telling you that I saw somebody who was like 7th on the app’s list be #1 on the website’s list and get the upgrade. Since that day, I haven’t trusted the lists much at all, which is sad, really.
If there are two lists or there's one list and they're displaying it wrong, then this should be happening more often, I would think. I can't be the only one that checks the upgrade list repeatedly at the gate.
I've sent a complaint off to United, see what they say. Usually it's a simple explanation, I hope they have one. Thanks for your perspective.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:27 pm

Programs: *
Well, given that I am 100% certain that there are at least two lists, what’s to say that there aren’t three?
Are you 100 perccent certain that there are two lists on every flight (and hence there would necessarily have also been two on OP's flight) or are you 100 percent certain that there have been instances with two lists?

Originally Posted by chavala
This happened to me once. Mid-flight I felt a tap on my shoulder and some guy standing there says he was #1 and this was supposed to be his seat. Would I mind explaining how I got upgraded ahead of him?

So no, I don’t think it’s a good idea to disturb a total stranger to satisfy your curiosity.
Can you satisfy my curiosity? How were you upgraded ahead of him???
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by ani90
Are you 100 perccent certain that there are two lists on every flight (and hence there would necessarily have also been two on OP's flight) or are you 100 percent certain that there have been instances with two lists?

Can you satisfy my curiosity? How were you upgraded ahead of him???
I've been upgraded as #7. With one seat remaining. Onboard. Just after my neighbor got upgraded (also onboard) as #3 on the list, and I made a slightly snide comment. Neither of us made any attention or pleads to the GA. We knew the drill.

I still think it's some sort of "surprise and delght" UA said they would do by upgrading those who hadn't upgraded much. But I'd never not been upgraded for a long time -- back when one could apply the +P at T-80.

So either there is a hidden list, or some sort of intentional randomness. But it really honks off the #1 that skipped
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latter. But seeing it even once has torpedoed my faith in the entire system. The web and the app lists are not pulling from the same data source or they couldn’t possibly get out of sync in the way that I saw.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: *
The latter. But seeing it even once has torpedoed my faith in the entire system.
Well, given that I am 100% certain that there are at least two lists, what’s to say that there aren’t three? Or, more to the point, what’s to say that there aren’t two, but you, the gate agent, and the guy who got upgraded were all looking at the wrong one?
So if your faith in the system is torpedoed, what makes you certain that a 'right' list actually exists and this isn't just shenanigans as the OP suggests? How do we know that there was a 'right' list that existed and that the initial upgrade indeed followed any listed sequence?

Last edited by ani90; Mar 23, 2024 at 8:21 am
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if your faith in the system is torpedoed, what makes you certain that a 'right' list actually exists and this isn't just shenanigans as the OP suggests? How do we know that there was a 'right' list that existed and that the initial upgrade indeed followed any listed sequence?
Because UA still has a significant financial incentive to penalize GAs for malfeasant behavior.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
I've been upgraded as #7. With one seat remaining. Onboard. Just after my neighbor got upgraded (also onboard) as #3 on the list, and I made a slightly snide comment. Neither of us made any attention or pleads to the GA. We knew the drill.

I still think it's some sort of "surprise and delght" UA said they would do by upgrading those who hadn't upgraded much. But I'd never not been upgraded for a long time -- back when one could apply the +P at T-80.

So either there is a hidden list, or some sort of intentional randomness. But it really honks off the #1 that skipped
I don't see the point of having an Upgrade list if this is the case - that GA's or FA's can just hand out upgrades as they like. If they pull that on me I won't let them get away with it easily.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbakker
I don't see the point of having an Upgrade list if this is the case - that GA's or FA's can just hand out upgrades as they like. If they pull that on me I won't let them get away with it easily.
Your assuming the GAs are doing that (note the FAs have no role in clearing upgrades). It is all done by computer and if a GA tries to override, their fingerprints will be all over the override and subject to audit. GA discretion has been severely restricted on upgrades due to past history of GA shenanigans. The display list was the best enforcement issue against shenanigans and GAs know they will be called out.

If there are "two lists" (which has perhaps been reported once or twice - no suggestions yet it is a widespread issue) it is a computer issue not GA caused.
United747 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your assuming the GAs are doing that (note the FAs have no role in clearing upgrades). It is all done by computer and if a GA tries to override, their fingerprints will be all over the override and subject to audit. GA discretion has been severely restricted on upgrades due to past history of GA shenanigans. The display list was the best enforcement issue against shenanigans and GAs know they will be called out.
Yes, if you go back 12-15 years, Shena was a real problem. UA cracked down, highly effectively, and it simply is not anymore.
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by rbakker
If this happens to anyone else, it might be a good idea to go ask the upgradee what happened, in a friendly way. Their seat number is right there on the screen.
Absolutely not, mind your own business. Would you follow someone to a table at a busy restaurant to find out why they may have been seated before you? Would you go bother another table at a restaurant to ask why they got food first or drinks first? It's nunya. Randomly knock on a hotel room door and found if they got upgraded or paid for the room?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat
"2 lists" is certainly without a question definitely a real thing. I've seen it myself on at least 2 occasions.

1) Mommy and I were waitlisted for I. Showed up as 13 and 14 in app but CS agent said we were 1 and 2 on her screen. Did not clear.
2) I was waitlisted for I. I did not show at all in the app. My BP said "upgrade requested." Agents could see me on one list but not another. So they gave me PR1 (I did not ask for it) and I was magically #1 on the app list. I cleared just as boarding was starting.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Almost 20 years ago the fabulous MsHalls120 and I were traveling IAD-LHR. At check-in, I was surprisedly upgraded to J, but she was not, as she had no status. We went through security, and then to the UC. After getting settled, I walked over to the gate and explained to the GA that I'd like to let my wife sit in J and I'd take her seat in coach. The GA said that would be something I needed to take up with the Purser. Back to the lounge, we eventually headed back to the gate, and heard the GA asking for MsHalls120. She went up and came back with a smile and an upgrade.

Sometimes being nice pays off.
Being nice is always worthwhile even if your only reward is your own self-satisfaction. Sometimes people just get lucky. I remember a business trip to Italy about 30 years ago where I was being accompanied by "the new guy". I'd flown that route a few times back in cattlecar section but now had some status and was hopeful when I heard the announcement about the flight being oversold in coach. Sure enough I got called up to the desk and was presented with an upgrade -- .... came up with me just to see what was going on and congratulated me on the upgrade -- the agent asked, "oh, you're with him? Just a sec" -- and then gave HIM an upgrade too!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2024 at 9:57 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.