Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:17 pm
  #286  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,858
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I swear in the CO days, before the app was a glimmer in anyone's eye (anyone remember pda.continental.com?) up to 30% of a GA's workload pre-boarding could be summarized as "Will my upgrade/standby clear?" (Some of the old CO outstations still have the refrigerator clips adjacent to the podium where proactive gate agents would print and post the ranked list of NRSAs for that flight; don't believe that ever included revenue upgrades though)
Agreed, although IIRC it was actually a free-for-all once it got to the gate. “Do you happen to have any upgrades available on CO1234?” The answer was almost always yes — IIRC I had something like 100 consecutive segments in F, except for two that I had cleared at T-100 or whatever it was, but had to do a last-minute change to full flights.

Those were the days.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:45 pm
  #287  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 4,431
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed, although IIRC it was actually a free-for-all once it got to the gate. Do you happen to have any upgrades available on CO1234? The answer was almost always yes IIRC I had something like 100 consecutive segments in F, except for two that I had cleared at T-100 or whatever it was, but had to do a last-minute change to full flights.

Those were the days.
HAHA! CO1234 was DEN-BOI. I flew it many times, always in upgraded F
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
wxguy is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:48 pm
  #288  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YEG
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 328
Originally Posted by chavala
This happened to me once. Mid-flight I felt a tap on my shoulder and some guy standing there says he was #1 and this was supposed to be his seat. Would I mind explaining how I got upgraded ahead of him?
I stared at him for a few seconds before putting my headphones back on and ignoring him. The FA told him to return to his seat.
So no, I dont think its a good idea to disturb a total stranger to satisfy your curiosity. Youll only make an arse of yourself.
Well, good thing I did, otherwise people would be telling me here that he paid for it and I should suck it up. There are serious problems with the United upgrade list and/or the gate agents.
(Also, I asked him after the flight, I wouldn't want to create any uncomfortable situations in a confined space. And I was very friendly about it, I swear!)
SPN Lifer likes this.
rbakker is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:54 pm
  #289  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YEG
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 328
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, given that I am 100% certain that there are at least two lists, whats to say that there arent three? Or, more to the point, whats to say that there arent two, but you, the gate agent, and the guy who got upgraded were all looking at the wrong one? And yes, I understand how ridiculous this sounds, but Im telling you that I saw somebody who was like 7th on the apps list be #1 on the websites list and get the upgrade. Since that day, I havent trusted the lists much at all, which is sad, really.
If there are two lists or there's one list and they're displaying it wrong, then this should be happening more often, I would think. I can't be the only one that checks the upgrade list repeatedly at the gate.
I've sent a complaint off to United, see what they say. Usually it's a simple explanation, I hope they have one. Thanks for your perspective.
rbakker is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:27 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC, LON
Programs: *
Posts: 2,867
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, given that I am 100% certain that there are at least two lists, whats to say that there arent three?
Are you 100 perccent certain that there are two lists on every flight (and hence there would necessarily have also been two on OP's flight) or are you 100 percent certain that there have been instances with two lists?

Originally Posted by chavala
This happened to me once. Mid-flight I felt a tap on my shoulder and some guy standing there says he was #1 and this was supposed to be his seat. Would I mind explaining how I got upgraded ahead of him?

So no, I dont think its a good idea to disturb a total stranger to satisfy your curiosity.
Can you satisfy my curiosity? How were you upgraded ahead of him???
ani90 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:28 pm
  #291  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silicon wasteland
Programs: UA 1KMM
Posts: 1,383
Originally Posted by ani90
Are you 100 perccent certain that there are two lists on every flight (and hence there would necessarily have also been two on OP's flight) or are you 100 percent certain that there have been instances with two lists?


Can you satisfy my curiosity? How were you upgraded ahead of him???
I've been upgraded as #7. With one seat remaining. Onboard. Just after my neighbor got upgraded (also onboard) as #3 on the list, and I made a slightly snide comment. Neither of us made any attention or pleads to the GA. We knew the drill.

I still think it's some sort of "surprise and delght" UA said they would do by upgrading those who hadn't upgraded much. But I'd never not been upgraded for a long time -- back when one could apply the +P at T-80.

So either there is a hidden list, or some sort of intentional randomness. But it really honks off the #1 that skipped
SPN Lifer likes this.
ryman554 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:31 pm
  #292  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,858
Originally Posted by ani90
Are you 100 perccent certain that there are two lists on every flight (and hence there would necessarily have also been two on OP's flight) or are you 100 percent certain that there have been instances with two lists?
The latter. But seeing it even once has torpedoed my faith in the entire system. The web and the app lists are not pulling from the same data source or they couldnt possibly get out of sync in the way that I saw.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:15 am
  #293  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC, LON
Programs: *
Posts: 2,867
Originally Posted by jsloan
The latter. But seeing it even once has torpedoed my faith in the entire system.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, given that I am 100% certain that there are at least two lists, whats to say that there arent three? Or, more to the point, whats to say that there arent two, but you, the gate agent, and the guy who got upgraded were all looking at the wrong one?
So if your faith in the system is torpedoed, what makes you certain that a 'right' list actually exists and this isn't just shenanigans as the OP suggests? How do we know that there was a 'right' list that existed and that the initial upgrade indeed followed any listed sequence?

Last edited by ani90; Mar 23, 2024 at 8:21 am
ani90 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:15 am
  #294  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,858
Originally Posted by ani90
So if your faith in the system is torpedoed, what makes you certain that a 'right' list actually exists and this isn't just shenanigans as the OP suggests? How do we know that there was a 'right' list that existed and that the initial upgrade indeed followed any listed sequence?
Because UA still has a significant financial incentive to penalize GAs for malfeasant behavior.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:54 am
  #295  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: YEG
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 328
Originally Posted by ryman554
I've been upgraded as #7. With one seat remaining. Onboard. Just after my neighbor got upgraded (also onboard) as #3 on the list, and I made a slightly snide comment. Neither of us made any attention or pleads to the GA. We knew the drill.

I still think it's some sort of "surprise and delght" UA said they would do by upgrading those who hadn't upgraded much. But I'd never not been upgraded for a long time -- back when one could apply the +P at T-80.

So either there is a hidden list, or some sort of intentional randomness. But it really honks off the #1 that skipped
I don't see the point of having an Upgrade list if this is the case - that GA's or FA's can just hand out upgrades as they like. If they pull that on me I won't let them get away with it easily.
rbakker is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:55 pm
  #296  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,330
Originally Posted by rbakker
I don't see the point of having an Upgrade list if this is the case - that GA's or FA's can just hand out upgrades as they like. If they pull that on me I won't let them get away with it easily.
Your assuming the GAs are doing that (note the FAs have no role in clearing upgrades). It is all done by computer and if a GA tries to override, their fingerprints will be all over the override and subject to audit. GA discretion has been severely restricted on upgrades due to past history of GA shenanigans. The display list was the best enforcement issue against shenanigans and GAs know they will be called out.

If there are "two lists" (which has perhaps been reported once or twice - no suggestions yet it is a widespread issue) it is a computer issue not GA caused.
United747 likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:32 pm
  #297  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,976
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your assuming the GAs are doing that (note the FAs have no role in clearing upgrades). It is all done by computer and if a GA tries to override, their fingerprints will be all over the override and subject to audit. GA discretion has been severely restricted on upgrades due to past history of GA shenanigans. The display list was the best enforcement issue against shenanigans and GAs know they will be called out.
Yes, if you go back 12-15 years, Shena was a real problem. UA cracked down, highly effectively, and it simply is not anymore.
SPN Lifer and United747 like this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:03 pm
  #298  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: UA *Alliance
Posts: 5,735
Originally Posted by rbakker
If this happens to anyone else, it might be a good idea to go ask the upgradee what happened, in a friendly way. Their seat number is right there on the screen.
Absolutely not, mind your own business. Would you follow someone to a table at a busy restaurant to find out why they may have been seated before you? Would you go bother another table at a restaurant to ask why they got food first or drinks first? It's nunya. Randomly knock on a hotel room door and found if they got upgraded or paid for the room?
SWCPHX is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:50 pm
  #299  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PWM
Programs: AA Plat
Posts: 1,352
Originally Posted by ani90
Are you 100 perccent certain that there are two lists on every flight (and hence there would necessarily have also been two on OP's flight) or are you 100 percent certain that there have been instances with two lists?
"2 lists" is certainly without a question definitely a real thing. I've seen it myself on at least 2 occasions.

1) Mommy and I were waitlisted for I. Showed up as 13 and 14 in app but CS agent said we were 1 and 2 on her screen. Did not clear.
2) I was waitlisted for I. I did not show at all in the app. My BP said "upgrade requested." Agents could see me on one list but not another. So they gave me PR1 (I did not ask for it) and I was magically #1 on the app list. I cleared just as boarding was starting.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
sexykitten7 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:40 pm
  #300  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,234
Originally Posted by halls120
Almost 20 years ago the fabulous MsHalls120 and I were traveling IAD-LHR. At check-in, I was surprisedly upgraded to J, but she was not, as she had no status. We went through security, and then to the UC. After getting settled, I walked over to the gate and explained to the GA that I'd like to let my wife sit in J and I'd take her seat in coach. The GA said that would be something I needed to take up with the Purser. Back to the lounge, we eventually headed back to the gate, and heard the GA asking for MsHalls120. She went up and came back with a smile and an upgrade.

Sometimes being nice pays off.
Being nice is always worthwhile even if your only reward is your own self-satisfaction. Sometimes people just get lucky. I remember a business trip to Italy about 30 years ago where I was being accompanied by "the new guy". I'd flown that route a few times back in cattlecar section but now had some status and was hopeful when I heard the announcement about the flight being oversold in coach. Sure enough I got called up to the desk and was presented with an upgrade -- .... came up with me just to see what was going on and congratulated me on the upgrade -- the agent asked, "oh, you're with him? Just a sec" -- and then gave HIM an upgrade too!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2024 at 9:57 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
ExplorerWannabe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.