Old Jul 3, 22, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Old Jan 16, 19, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Cash upgrade or upgrade shenanigans? Mrs. Justsawaufo is #1 on the list with 1K RPU.

2:14PM, #6 on the upgrade list

2:52PM - Upgrade cleared for SHA, M. (I'm fairly confident SHA,M. was also in the Standby list - now only SHA,S. is in the standby list)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 3, 22 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by justsawaufo View Post
Cash upgrade or upgrade shenanigans? Mrs. Justsawaufo is #1 on the list with 1K RPU.

2:14PM, #6 on the upgrade list

2:52PM - Upgrade cleared for SHA, M. (I'm fairly confident SHA,M. was also in the Standby list - now only SHA,S. is in the standby list)
Looks "fishy" to say the least. When this has happened to me I have asked the GAs what happened and they usually have been helpful. Sometimes it ends up being a cash buy up. Let us know IF you find out what happened.
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:10 pm

Could it be that SHA/M is GS? They cleared the standby list into economy and then applied an RPU/GPU and so jumped above the 1K RPU?

For this to be true then 2, 3, 4, and 5 on the original list would have to have been GS with no instrument (but above SHA/M with tiebreakers) or 1K with instrument (but below MOR/I with tiebreakers), which doesn't seem totally unreasonable for a hub-hub flight.
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

You can only apply RPU (when 24 hours before the flight) if PN for GS or PZ for everyone else is > 1. I monitored both closely, and both remained 0.

In addition, he wouldnt be in the standby list and upgrade list at the same time if he wasnt a non-rev.
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
In addition, he wouldnt be in the standby list and upgrade list at the same time if he wasnt a non-rev.
I didn't initially catch that, he was on both standby and upgrade?? If so you are correct those are NRSA's. I just saw the upgrade list above and thought it might be a last minute TOD.
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM

I could be wrong, but if an F passenger is displaced from another flight (IRROPS) and was trying to get out on your wife's flight, they could be on both lists, no?
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
I could be wrong, but if an F passenger is displaced from another flight (IRROPS) and was trying to get out on your wife's flight, they could be on both lists, no?
Yes.

It simply is not true that a passenger on both lists must be non-rev.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Yes.

I fly with UA employees and/or family and indeed when flying as NRSA they are on both lists. But yes, you are correct, they are not the only type of pax that could be on both lists. Getting back to the originally question when I have experienced this in the past (not actually uncommon) I have usually been told it was a cash buy up fwiw.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Yes.

Youre absolutely right, but pick your battles. Were 40 pages into this thread with another 40+ to go Im sure!

Out of curiousity I looked into the internal nonrev list for this flight, theres nothing going on here IMO.
Old Jan 16, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
This whole upgrade list sounds like a SHA,M to me.
DELee, jb64, pmarrsouth and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.....In addition, he wouldnt be in the standby list and upgrade list at the same time if he wasnt a non-rev.
While the most common reason, it is not the only reason. A displaced / irrops premium cabin passenger can appear on both lists. And there will have priorioty over waitlisted passenger (but that priority is not reflected in the gate list) That is a very possible explaination for this situation.
Old Jun 2, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
This is an odd situation, which may not be shenanigans, but certainly is shenangian-y.

During boarding, the aircraft has 20 seats. 18 are booked and 18 are checked in. One seat is orange. I'm #1 on the upgrade list. The door closes, 18 people are booked, and I am still #1 on the upgrade list, 1B is still orange. In flight, F is full, including 1B. My RPU has not yet been returned, and MP says it is used, but I think they are confused about the outbound.

Any ideas about a non-shenanigan explaination?
Old Jun 2, 19, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
This is an odd situation...

During boarding, the aircraft has 20 seats....
It certainly is odd. Which United a/c has only 20 seats ?

p.s. - I know what you meant...
Old Jun 2, 19, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
It certainly is odd. Which United a/c has only 20 seats ?

p.s. - I know what you meant...
the 739's (from Continental) have 20 F seats.
Old Jun 2, 19, 4:08 pm

C
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post

Any ideas about a non-shenanigan explaination?
Miles Ahead,

what is your flight number?

Search this Thread