FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sounds like a displaced paid passenger wait-listed and then cleared

Buy-ups generally do not appear as waitlisted / cleared but it has been reported rarely.
Just offering another data point - my wife and her friend spent the day at EWR after their flight to MCO was cancelled -- (same PNR - my wife is GS) they switched to a flight to TPA and were upgraded to F literally onboard -- and their names never appeared as upgraded or anything -- they just flew in F with no record of it on .bomb - my point being the app doesn't show what always happens....
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sounds like a displaced paid passenger wait-listed and then cleared

Buy-ups generally do not appear as waitlisted / cleared but it has been reported rarely.
just called GS and found out: it was a pilot. United: where employees always come first and customers second.
Markie and Repooc17 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by porciuscato
just called GS and found out: it was a pilot. United: where employees always come first and customers second.
I would hope pilots always come first... maybe they were being positioned to fly this or another aircraft from the destination.
ExplorerWannabe, Wooglin and RK23 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
nothing wrong here. UA followed their published rules. If you don't like it I guess you can fly another carrier?
Imstevek and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Don't pilots have priority if they are headed to an assigned flight in certain situations?

Id be happy to take your GS status and be treated like you are the rest of the year
Xyzzy, wpcoe, mikeyf and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Don't pilots have priority if they are headed to an assigned flight in certain situations?
FC on deadheads (i.e. scheduled as part of a trip pairing, not for commuting) if a FC seat is available at the time of booking. We got that in exchange for pandemic pay concessions. Prior to that, it was on flights over four hours if operating (flying) another flight in the same duty period after the deadhead.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
A pilot on his way to an airport to actually fly should always be upgraded ahead of everyone else in my opinion. I want that pilot as rested and comfortable as possible
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
A pilot on his way to an airport to actually fly should always be upgraded ahead of everyone else in my opinion. I want that pilot as rested and comfortable as possible
2.5 hour flight. If they need that rest, there are bigger issues at hand.

This was the topping bit too. We also got moved from the 2nd exit row (nice) to the first one (no recline) 3 days before the flight. I'll bet you can guess who was occupying our former seats.
Markie and bocastephen like this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
2.5 hour flight. If they need that rest, there are bigger issues at hand.....
You needed it more?

The move from 1st to 2nd exit row definitely was wrong.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You needed it more? ...
Um, yeah. It was a connecting flight after an 11-hour international leg. I will never take that flight (IAH->DEN) again. From what I saw, there was Zero chance of an upgrade. In addition to the pilot that took the available seat, there were 4 more sitting in the back, as well as a half a dozen other UAL employees of various sorts.

The good news, I suppose, is the plane would have been well prepared if the pilot had a heart attack or something.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
2.5 hour flight. If they need that rest, there are bigger issues at hand.

This was the topping bit too. We also got moved from the 2nd exit row (nice) to the first one (no recline) 3 days before the flight. I'll bet you can guess who was occupying our former seats.
Exactly - we have designated rest seats and specialized rest cabins on long haul flights, but for domestic trips, anyone choosing to live away from their base and commute to work should be riding in the back.
seacarl and porciuscato like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
but for domestic trips, anyone choosing to live away from their base and commute to work should be riding in the back.
They are.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Exactly - we have designated rest seats and specialized rest cabins on long haul flights, but for domestic trips, anyone choosing to live away from their base and commute to work should be riding in the back.
As gone over again and again.

These arent commuting pilots.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
They are.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
As gone over again and again.

These arent commuting pilots.
Just to make the distinction CRYSTAL clear for anyone who harbors doubt.

A commuting pilot has voluntarily chosen to live away from their base and is responsible for positioning themselves, with proper rest and contingencies, at the beginning and end of the trip. This might be paid travel, NRSA, jump seat, etc. In these situations, the pilot is not entitled to any upgrade priority and -- if they've listed for F at all -- is going to be tacked to the end of the list of revenue F standbys based on seniority, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if some UA pilots are buying seats in F for positioning (can they participate in MP including elite status and CPUs? I don't know.)

A deadheading pilot is flying at the company's direction between two places, they're on the clock, on duty, and not really their choice, and usually required to protect the schedule. I've seen this most frequently after weather or other IROPS messes with the schedule and they need to get legal crews matched up with planes to start putting the pieces back together. In this situation the pilots have negotiated priority for F traveling deadhead as part of the contract -- like the crew meals in another thread -- and I don't really begrudge them for it.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I don't understand why it is so much less infuriating to fail to get an upgrade bcs a premium cabin seat is occupied by an ordinary flier who pays for it with their own cash or miles, than when the seat is occupied by a deadheading pilot whose seat is paid for by their employer. Like I really don't understand how these two scenarios garner such different emotional reactions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.