Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated]

Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Only two of three upgrades cleared, with two spots left on upgrade list

Yesterday morning, only the older two-thirds of my family's reservation cleared on an EWR-SFO transcon--Mrs. DCA writer and I had our PlusPoints upgrades clear, leaving 11-year-old Mini DCA writer in the back--even though the flight-status info showed two J seats open after those first two upgrades went through. I saw this happen before we boarded our DCA-EWR flight, with each of us now on a separate PNR, and asked the agent at the DCA UC if she could push through the last upgrade. She apologetically replied that she could not, saying the system would metaphorically slap her hand for butting in. And by the time we landed at EWR, the remaining upgrade spots had been taken.

We resolved the seating dilemma by having one of us swap seats with our kid--I volunteered to do that, but my wife insisted I take the spot after our kid requested to sit with me. But why did the system not process all three upgrades at once? And even if it couldn't, shouldn't it know not to manufacture an unaccompanied-minor problem? I plan on writing to 1K Voice about this, but before that I'd like to know if y'all have seen this pattern happen before.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Yesterday morning, only the older two-thirds of my family's reservation cleared on an EWR-SFO transcon--Mrs. DCA writer and I had our PlusPoints upgrades clear, leaving 11-year-old Mini DCA writer in the back--even though the flight-status info showed two J seats open after those first two upgrades went through. I saw this happen before we boarded our DCA-EWR flight, with each of us now on a separate PNR, and asked the agent at the DCA UC if she could push through the last upgrade. She apologetically replied that she could not, saying the system would metaphorically slap her hand for butting in. And by the time we landed at EWR, the remaining upgrade spots had been taken.

We resolved the seating dilemma by having one of us swap seats with our kid--I volunteered to do that, but my wife insisted I take the spot after our kid requested to sit with me. But why did the system not process all three upgrades at once? And even if it couldn't, shouldn't it know not to manufacture an unaccompanied-minor problem? I plan on writing to 1K Voice about this, but before that I'd like to know if y'all have seen this pattern happen before.
sounds perfectly normal to me. At check-in the PNR splits and every passenger is getting on the UG list separately. Prior to check-in it will only clear when 3 seats are available. Check the 'split PNR' thread for many more examples of this. You can remove the UG request if you don't want only 2 seats.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by cfischer
sounds perfectly normal to me. At check-in the PNR splits and every passenger is getting on the UG list separately. Prior to check-in it will only clear when 3 seats are available. Check the 'split PNR' thread for many more examples of this. You can remove the UG request if you don't want only 2 seats.
I'm used to seeing the app ask if I want to have the reservation split to preserve my CPU opportunity, but I didn't get any heads-up about this PlusPoints upgrade. And the most recent thread about PNR auto-splitting I can find says this no longer happens at check-in, only once the waitlist moves to gate control. (Which is when, exactly? The two upgrades cleared over three hours before departure.) But either way, having an upgrade attempt result in a stranded kid seems like a sub-optimal outcome for everybody.

Last edited by DCA writer; Dec 21, 2021 at 10:50 am Reason: left out one detail
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm used to seeing the app ask if I want to have the reservation split to preserve my CPU opportunity, but I didn't get any heads-up about this PlusPoints upgrade. And the most recent thread about PNR auto-splitting I can find says this no longer happens at check-in, only once the waitlist moves to gate control. (Which is when, exactly? The two upgrades cleared over three hours before departure.) But either way, having an upgrade attempt result in a stranded kid seems like a sub-optimal outcome for everybody.
As best I can tell, the way it works now is, first, for CPU it asks about a split at check-in, or for supported upgrade it doesn't ask and just assumes (this part is not changed from previously). Then, whenever enough space is available to clear at least one upgrade, it will split the PNR and upgrade some passengers into the space. From some time after T-24 to gate control, it will only ever upgrade to down to J2 inventory.

So in your case, I think it had 2 upgrade spaces available (4 seats total left in the cabin), and it upgraded two of you. I guess that it doesn't have unaccompanied minor logic built in and just made a situation that could potentially require extra attention to resolve, but in practice most likely a parent / adult on the reservation will agree to swap, as you did.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm used to seeing the app ask if I want to have the reservation split to preserve my CPU opportunity, but I didn't get any heads-up about this PlusPoints upgrade.
If you have an instrument applied, UA assumes you want to split the PNR and will do so automatically, without asking.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
I guess that it doesn't have unaccompanied minor logic built in and just made a situation that could potentially require extra attention to resolve, but in practice most likely a parent / adult on the reservation will agree to swap, as you did.
But that logic only applies to this fact pattern: splits of 3+. If there were only 2 pax and 1 seat, I doubt the computer would hesitate to split. How would you solve that one?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
I guess that it doesn't have unaccompanied minor logic built in and just made a situation that could potentially require extra attention to resolve, but in practice most likely a parent / adult on the reservation will agree to swap, as you did.
I could have sworn that it did have such logic in the past...? I know for sure it wouldn't let me split a PNR myself and create a UM. A few years ago, I had booked one ticket for myself, and my wife/son on another. Tried to split their PNR so my wife would stand a better upgrade chance and it wouldn't allow it due to the UM. I got upgraded, she didn't, so we just took each others' seats. Now, with the way 1K drinks/snacks are handled, I'd lose out on that if we did a seat swap. Still First World Problems, but marginally annoying due to system limitations.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I could have sworn that it did have such logic in the past...? I know for sure it wouldn't let me split a PNR myself and create a UM. A few years ago, I had booked one ticket for myself, and my wife/son on another. Tried to split their PNR so my wife would stand a better upgrade chance and it wouldn't allow it due to the UM. I got upgraded, she didn't, so we just took each others' seats. Now, with the way 1K drinks/snacks are handled, I'd lose out on that if we did a seat swap. Still First World Problems, but marginally annoying due to system limitations.
When my children were minors we solved that problem by just booking everyone as an adult. The reservation system never complained that the birth date was that f a minor and as long as the kids were not sitting by themselves, the FAs had no problem either.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is this upgrade shenanigans, in a different take than most content in this thread, or wonky IT?

For a future dated itinerary (domestic transcon), I attempted to use my Plus Points to upgrade, but no available options; miles also not available. Cash is the only option for upgrade possibility.

Also interesting on the same itinerary and other itineraries, only upgrade option is Business; no options to upgrade to Premium Plus - this despite Premium Plus tickets being told throughout (ticketing to present time).
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is this upgrade shenanigans, in a different take than most content in this thread, or wonky IT?

For a future dated itinerary (domestic transcon), I attempted to use my Plus Points to upgrade, but no available options; miles also not available. Cash is the only option for upgrade possibility.

Also interesting on the same itinerary, only upgrade option is Business; no options to upgrade to Premium Plus.
I'm going to call it wonky IT. Have there been any (schedule) changes to the reservation since it was ticketed or previously cleared upgrades? I've seen both cause the website to do stupid things when it comes to upgrades and the availability thereof.
The fact that it's a domestic transcon with PP being sold makes me think it may also be some ancillary IT shenanagans
ExplorerWannabe and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I'm going to call it wonky IT. Have there been any (schedule) changes to the reservation since it was ticketed or previously cleared upgrades? I've seen both cause the website to do stupid things when it comes to upgrades and the availability thereof.
The fact that it's a domestic transcon with PP being sold makes me think it may also be some ancillary IT shenanagans
Thanks for the feedback!

No schedule changes; although the aircraft may have been upgauged from 772 to 77W - can't recall what the displayed aircraft was at the time of booking.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There have been reports that website does not offer PremPlus upgrade options if at time of purchase the aircraft was not offering paid PremPlus but later does (such as aircraft change or route policy change).
Have you tried calling? I suspect want you want to do can be accomplished. May be as easily re-sync'ing the ticket.

Not sure how the term "shenanigans" applies here
"shenanigans -- secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering."
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Thanks for the feedback!

No schedule changes; although the aircraft may have been upgauged from 772 to 77W - can't recall what the displayed aircraft was at the time of booking.
Aside: it's very annoying to me that they've taken this off the receipt. The old receipt was much better.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I don't know if this is shenanigans, but am curious what's going on since it has happened more than once now:

* My wife and I are both GS, have separate locators, and were #1 and #2 on the upgrade list for at least a week (I talked to a GS rep who told me a week out). We both have B fares with Plus Points applied.

* Both Biz and Economy are 100% booked, though not fully checked in

* Out of the blue, around 12 hours from departure, someone who was not on the list before appears at the top with their name checked and a Biz seat assigned to them.

Is this a buy-up, an FAM, or something else ??
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I don't know if this is shenanigans, but am curious what's going on since it has happened more than once now:

* My wife and I are both GS, have separate locators, and were #1 and #2 on the upgrade list for at least a week (I talked to a GS rep who told me a week out). We both have B fares with Plus Points applied.

* Both Biz and Economy are 100% booked, though not fully checked in

* Out of the blue, around 12 hours from departure, someone who was not on the list before appears at the top with their name checked and a Biz seat assigned to them.

Is this a buy-up, an FAM, or something else ??
Sounds like a displaced paid passenger wait-listed and then cleared

Buy-ups generally do not appear as waitlisted / cleared but it has been reported rarely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.