Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warreng24
God I hope that "International Surcharge" counts...
Of course it does. That's been clear since the beginning. Is this the HNL-CDG run?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by warreng24
God I hope that "International Surcharge" counts...
What is the "noise isolation" charge in The Netherlands? Seriously? What is it for?

If they want less noise in The Netherlands, they should stop walking around in those wooden shoes.....
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
What is the "noise isolation" charge in The Netherlands? Seriously? What is it for?

If they want less noise in The Netherlands, they should stop walking around in those wooden shoes.....
It pays for insulating homes near the airports for insulation against aircraft noise.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA MM PL /AA/DL PL/LY GL
US Address or Foreign Address??

I have always kept my MP address in the US, even though I spend much more of my time at a foreign one. No real reason, just the sort of thing that many expats do with their banks, credit cards, and the like.

I recently read that the new Elite Dollar requirement applies only to US addresses. Does that mean that I should switch my account (wife and kids too?) to my foreign address?

Are there hidden disadvantages that I don't know about?

I seem to remember for example that years ago, perhaps it was with CO, that Israel-based travellers and some others didn't get full credit or EQMs or something when flying TLV-EWR or on some other routes.

Is there anything like that?

Or, should I just make the switch and help assure that I'll be able to maintain the 1K, P, or G status that I've had for many years?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:28 am
Suspended

If the tkts you buy are TLV-US-TLV rather then US-TLV-US, then for sure change to your Israeli address to get out of any min Spend being needed to qualify or requalify for any Elite level

I know a number of people who have moved to Israel but travel to the US for work or biz a couple times a month and their tkts are US-TLV-US , I told them either to start buying TLV-US-TLV or make sure they get the min Spend in for the Elite level that they want to attain

I personally do not think UA will simply take everyones word they all of a sudden moved Overseas, but will instead check to see from where the person is buying their tkts and where they are starting their travels. I guess a person could appeal and explain and prove they in fact live Overseas and why it is they are purchasing their tkts starting from the US instead of where they claim they reside
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TLVflyer
I have always kept my MP address in the US, even though I spend much more of my time at a foreign one. No real reason, just the sort of thing that many expats do with their banks, credit cards, and the like.

I recently read that the new Elite Dollar requirement applies only to US addresses. Does that mean that I should switch my account (wife and kids too?) to my foreign address?

I seem to remember for example that years ago, perhaps it was with CO, that Israel-based travellers and some others didn't get full credit or EQMs or something when flying TLV-EWR or on some other routes.

Or, should I just make the switch and help assure that I'll be able to maintain the 1K, P, or G status that I've had for many years?

Thanks!!
There's a whole threadfull of info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-address.html
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:47 am

I know if you aren't registered in the US, you are likely to miss out on some promotions. Of course, United hasn't had a good promotion in more than a year.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fragment54
I know if you aren't registered in the US, you are likely to miss out on some promotions. Of course, United hasn't had a good promotion in more than a year.
And they had a few decent non-US promos in recent years, like one of the DEQM ones IIRC.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Starting in 2014: Changes to Premier qualification

Forgive me, I missed this above. What if I have a an outboard flight in 2013 and a return in 2014? Also, what if I buy the ticket in 2013 and fly 2014? Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Forgive me, I missed this above. What if I have a an outboard flight in 2013 and a return in 2014? Also, what if I buy the ticket in 2013 and fly 2014? Thanks!
PQD credit is given when you actually take the flight.

If your outbound in December of 2013 cost $700 and your return in January cost $600, then your 2013 PQD will be incremented by $700 and your 2014 PQD will be incremented by $600.

(A more interesting scenario is when you have a single series of one-way flights spanning the 12/31-1/1 date change...say your first flight, ANC-SEA, departs 12/31 at 11:30pm, and your connecting SEA-IAH and IAH-MCO flights are on 1/1, but all three flights were booked as a single $400 one-way fare. How do they determine how much to credit to which year? Would they just credit the whole thing to 2013, since your itinerary began in that year? Would they use the ratio of the full Y fares for each flight to determine the split, as is done in other instances of revenue splitting [like interline tickets]?)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
PQD credit is given when you actually take the flight.

If your outbound in December of 2013 cost $700 and your return in January cost $600, then your 2013 PQD will be incremented by $700 and your 2014 PQD will be incremented by $600.

(A more interesting scenario is when you have a single series of one-way flights spanning the 12/31-1/1 date change...say your first flight, ANC-SEA, departs 12/31 at 11:30pm, and your connecting SEA-IAH and IAH-MCO flights are on 1/1, but all three flights were booked as a single $400 one-way fare. How do they determine how much to credit to which year? Would they just credit the whole thing to 2013, since your itinerary began in that year? Would they use the ratio of the full Y fares for each flight to determine the split, as is done in other instances of revenue splitting [like interline tickets]?)
I haven't looked closely lately but I do remember tickets used to break down costs by segment if you looked closely at the line of text that had no spaces that had the fare basis for each segment in it.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TLVflyer

Thanks!!
No consequences other than non participation in some promotions.
As long as you have some form of ID in your foreign country, you should be fine.
(i.e. work pass, national ID, a bill for the address you live in, a letter from a foreign employer, a foreign passport. It is better for these to be recent, as I doubt that UA would let you get away with a UN refugee document that was issued 20+ years ago, as an example, as if you were a refugee, I doubt that you would want to go back to your home country.)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
No consequences other than non participation in some promotions.
And you get get your credentials late, and I never got one of those yellow bag handles that everyone's talking about.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by jackal
A more interesting scenario is when you have a single series of one-way flights spanning the 12/31-1/1 date change...say your first flight, ANC-SEA, departs 12/31 at 11:30pm, and your connecting SEA-IAH and IAH-MCO flights are on 1/1, but all three flights were booked as a single $400 one-way fare. How do they determine how much to credit to which year? Would they just credit the whole thing to 2013, since your itinerary began in that year? Would they use the ratio of the full Y fares for each flight to determine the split, as is done in other instances of revenue splitting [like interline tickets]?
Knowing what we know about SHARES, can you imagine that UA IT is sophisticated enough to make the distinction you're talking about? Do you think they've even thought it through to that level yet?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Have they announced the "enhancements" to the program if any?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.