Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RNE
Not really. How many instances are there where one is flying over New Year's Eve? Not many.
The capability to see segment by segment pricing would be VERY improtant for mixed metal and mixed alliance tickets which are fairly common however.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:39 am
RNE

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The capability to see segment by segment pricing would be VERY improtant for mixed metal and mixed alliance tickets which are fairly common however.
That instance is indeed common.

RNE, not doubting UA will provide PQD breakdowns (eventually). For those booking 2014 travel now, get your slide rules out.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
That instance is indeed common.

RNE, not doubting UA will provide PQD breakdowns (eventually). For those booking 2014 travel now, get your slide rules out.
Knowing UA, they may not be the breakdowns you're thinking.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:49 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Superguy
Knowing UA, they may not be the breakdowns you're thinking.
IKR!
Old Oct 22, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Anyone think there is going to be a PQD for lifetime in the future?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
No, I highly doubt it. This would be a nightmare to construct and then to implement. And it could only affect those who are new MP members, not any of the existing members since the data was never stored by UA in the past.

UA can change the program at any time without notice. They have retained this right forever. But changing the MM qualification after millions of people are already on the way there will be the biggest "stick a fork in it, she's done" move that UA could make to its FF program at this time.

That and awarding less than 100% PQM on the lower fares...which I still say is coming very soon (personal opionion).

-RM
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
That would be absolutely devastating
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:21 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That and awarding less than 100% PQM on the lower fares...which I still say is coming very soon (personal opionion).
But with PQDs already factored in, I'm not sure what UA would get out of that arrangement. Lower fare purchases are already going to be penalized under the PQD scenario laid out in 2014.

I suppose it would benefit UA on already-expensive domestic routes where even the S & T fares are $600-$700+... make those suddenly offer only 50% PQM the "benefit" of paying a high price for a low fare bucket goes away.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AADULtArer
No, I highly doubt it. This would be a nightmare to construct and then to implement. ....

-RM
I think you are right on both of these Rob,

Lower miles and PQM on low fares makes sense (and is already done on other airlines)

Putting a PQD on lifetime status would be tough - for no other reason than things like inflation over the 5-20 years people take to acheive the milestones..
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
getting credit for money but not miles

Next spring I'm flying IAD-MUC-BLQ and then BLQ-BRU-IAD. MUC-BLQ is on LH, BLQ-BRU is on SN.

I've checked the website and it's very clear that I won't get mileage credit (fare class doesn't qualify) for the short, intra-Europe flights.

What I'm wondering about is whether UA will try to subtract any PQDs from the overall itinerary. Looking at my receipt, the overall ticketing is all UA, starting with the magic 016.

So, it seems to me that i will get mileage credit for the UA metal long haul flights only, but PQD credit for the entire trip. Do you agree?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geofflaredo
Next spring I'm flying IAD-MUC-BLQ and then BLQ-BRU-IAD. MUC-BLQ is on LH, BLQ-BRU is on SN.

I've checked the website and it's very clear that I won't get mileage credit (fare class doesn't qualify) for the short, intra-Europe flights.

What I'm wondering about is whether UA will try to subtract any PQDs from the overall itinerary. Looking at my receipt, the overall ticketing is all UA, starting with the magic 016.

So, it seems to me that i will get mileage credit for the UA metal long haul flights only, but PQD credit for the entire trip. Do you agree?
Are you sure you won't get credit? If they are a continuation of the transatlantic flight you should. But again, depends on fare class. What is your fare class. There are some that get 0 if you originate in Europe and stay in Europe but do if they are part of a transatlantic.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by geofflaredo

Yes for the PQD part. I am not 100% sure about the fuel surcharge for the LH/SN segments.

This whole PQD thing is going to be a mess when multiple carriers are involved and lack of information [i.e. when I book how do I know what $$$ goes to what]. I would like for UA to supply a highly detailed breakdown all the way down to taxes/fees and provide a clear and concise segregation of what will count and what will not. What about flights on partner ticket stock but on UA metal, how much of that fare will be credited? I want this information to be available before I make any purchasing decision.

May seem unrealistic, but hey, I am not the one who made the decision to add PQD. This is one of many reasons why offering reduced EQM on lower booking classes is much more transparent and more suitable since this information is readily available across the board.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
well no, i'm not sure

Originally Posted by Baze
Are you sure you won't get credit? If they are a continuation of the transatlantic flight you should. But again, depends on fare class. What is your fare class. There are some that get 0 if you originate in Europe and stay in Europe but do if they are part of a transatlantic.
K class on the way there, L on the way back. But your point about the intra-Europe legs is a good one, since both are attached to full international itin.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
No, I highly doubt it. This would be a nightmare to construct and then to implement. And it could only affect those who are new MP members, not any of the existing members since the data was never stored by UA in the past.

UA can change the program at any time without notice. They have retained this right forever. But changing the MM qualification after millions of people are already on the way there will be the biggest "stick a fork in it, she's done" move that UA could make to its FF program at this time.

-RM
That would be even worse than the upcoming system, unless they abolish PQD at the same time. With the upcoming system, if I buy a ticket at say 20cpm, then I can MR at least that same number of miles before my PQM progress drops below the required PQD. With less than 100% PQM *AND* PQD, that would really suck, UNLESS they change the AND to an OR...e.g. spend $5k, get Premier Gold, regardless of PQM.

There are plenty of reasons for them to change the AND to an OR. They'd probably get a lot more people doing F buy-ups. People would think "If I do this (exorbitantly priced) F buy-up, I will get status for next year." And for people seeking status, UA would be able to get away with giving far fewer RDMs for it (especially for existing elites who wouldn't get their bonuses either), far fewer lifetime miles, etc.

Last edited by STS-134; Oct 24, 2013 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:29 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
May seem unrealistic, but hey, I am not the one who made the decision to add PQD. This is one of many reasons why offering reduced EQM on lower booking classes is much more transparent and more suitable since this information is readily available across the board.
And it would be easier to drive incremental revenue via upfares that way, too--they even already have most of the UI for it in place w/r/t booking more flexible and fully flexible tickets (though those terms aren't well-defined in that UI).

"Lowest price: $237 (50% PQM). Full PQM: $450." Etc.

You'd get a few people who would buy up who wouldn't have before--vs. now just punishing everyone who doesn't buy higher fares from the get-go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.