Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
With no answers, I should assume accelerator wont count, I won't make PQD, so might as well enjoy SQs product instead.
My assumptions, which are the criteria I will use to buy (or not buy) 2014 tickets:

- E+ purchases count (UA said so. I never yet have bought E+.)
- PCU does not count
- UFC does not count
- TOD does not count
- Mileage upgrade co-pays do not count
- MileagePlus Premier Accelerator will be decommissioned as of 1/1/2014 (It may come back at a later date in a new / modified form)
- The $ you spend on PQM's through Elite Maximizer in 2013 will have no impact on your PQD's in 2014 (even if the flight is in 2014)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
My assumptions, which are the criteria I will use to buy (or not buy) 2014 tickets:

- E+ purchases count (UA said so. I never yet have bought E+.)
- PCU does not count
- UFC does not count
- TOD does not count
- Mileage upgrade co-pays do not count
- MileagePlus Premier Accelerator will be decommissioned as of 1/1/2014 (It may come back at a later date in a new / modified form)
- The $ you spend on PQM's through Elite Maximizer in 2013 will have no impact on your PQD's in 2014 (even if the flight is in 2014)
I would be really surprised if Premiere Accelerator went away. Its found money for them and it only benefits them. I suspect it will remain but not count towards PQD, that way they still reduce the ranks but still have the revenue stream (albeit smaller than in years past).
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The accelerator is a cash cw for UA. I can't see them doing away with it.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
I would be really surprised if Premiere Accelerator went away. Its found money for them and it only benefits them. I suspect it will remain but not count towards PQD, that way they still reduce the ranks but still have the revenue stream (albeit smaller than in years past).
Well, if Premier Accelerator does not actually get you any closer to Premier (through PQD's), then the audience of people who buy it will be minuscule. Only people who have spent a lot of $$ (qualify on PQD terms), but who have not flown a lot of miles.

Even if they continue it under these circumstances, what will a PQM be worth? Very little...

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The accelerator is a cash cw for UA. I can't see them doing away with it.
Agree.

But, enabling Premier Maximizer to offer both PQM's and PQD's will be an IT challenge that I doubt UA will be prepared for on 1/1/14. (That is why I think it may be brought back at a later date, once they can figure out how to execute.)

Everything I stated was my opinion only, we'll see soon how it actually plays out.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Actually, I'm just thinking now...except for US-based carriers, are there any other major carriers in the world that still give 100% on their lowest fares?

I just flew in to BKK from India on a W fare on Thai - upgrade to a mileage earning class would have been too much considering the PQM wouldn't have gotten me to the next level anyways. In Thai's program, they still would have only earned 25%.
And earning TG miles on a W fare is new. Previously TG international W fares earned nil. They still do when attempting to credit to UA.

Originally Posted by wethereyet
The PQD won't be an issue in 2014 but may be in 2015 and beyond.

I have a feeling UA will change the M+ program substantially once the reduced UA elite impacts are fully realized. First reduce the ranks, then drop the next shoe on those who remain.

They've screwed with miles bonus, baggage, E+, etc. Next up is GPU/RPU. My prediction.
I agree with the bolded [mine]. This will be the shock to those pleased with the plan.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wethereyet
The PQD won't be an issue in 2014 but may be in 2015 and beyond.

I have a feeling UA will change the M+ program substantially once the reduced UA elite impacts are fully realized. First reduce the ranks, then drop the next shoe on those who remain.

They've screwed with miles bonus, baggage, E+, etc. Next up is GPU/RPU. My prediction.
I sure hope they run out of shoes soon.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by Baze
I sure hope they run out of shoes soon.
A lot of it will depend on the AA/US merger and timeline but it will directly impact UA's use of PQD and MR benefits. They will collude either directly or indirectly on their FF programs.

They will get us in fees, GPUs/RPUs as the next nip and tuck. The already cut a number of domestic F seats and E+ cabin is shrinking. Eventually they have to scale back elites to align to that reality.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, if Premier Accelerator does not actually get you any closer to Premier (through PQD's), then the audience of people who buy it will be minuscule. Only people who have spent a lot of $$ (qualify on PQD terms), but who have not flown a lot of miles.
I agree. Premier Accelerator is dead if they don't count it towards PQD. The number of customers who spend more than $10K a year but fly less than 100K has to be small.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
I agree. Premier Accelerator is dead if they don't count it towards PQD. The number of customers who spend more than $10K a year but fly less than 100K has to be small.
One business class ticket to London is >$10,000.

There are far more people who spend >$10,000 and don't fly anywhere near 100,000 miles than there are people who make 1K.

I suspect you are comparing advance purchase, non-refundable, non-changeable tickets to the tickets business travelers usually buy.

The majority of people in my office barely make Silver (or remain no status) and almost all spend >$10,000 a year.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
One business class ticket to London is >$10,000.

There are far more people who spend >$10,000 and don't fly anywhere near 100,000 miles than there are people who make 1K.

I suspect you are comparing advance purchase, non-refundable, non-changeable tickets to the tickets business travelers usually buy.

The majority of people in my office barely make Silver (or remain no status) and almost all spend >$10,000 a year.
One coach roundtrip to London is around $1500. I've had 50 people go to Europe or Asia in the last few months and none spent much more than that.

For large companies, business class is dead (unless you work for an investment company or oil company).
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bldr1k
One coach roundtrip to London is around $1500. I've had 50 people go to Europe or Asia in the last few months and none spent much more than that.

For large companies, business class is dead (unless you work for an investment company or oil company).
Unless they are upper management.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS
Originally Posted by halls120
The number of customers who spend more than $10K a year but fly less than 100K has to be small.
Two rt TATL flights in C will cost well over $10K but might not even break silver in PQM. I imagine there are plenty of people out there with tons of spend and less than 100K PQM. Some of these folks get GS invites.

Originally Posted by bldr1k

Disagree with this broad generalization. My very large, publically traded, non-investment or oil company allows business class for all employees for flights > 6 hours. Several peers in my industry have similar travel policies. The ones that are forced to fly coach see to come from smaller companies.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 29, 2013 at 8:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by atomic3
Two rt TATL flights in C will cost well over $10K but might not even break silver in PQM.
With 150% PQM for C, two TATLs will easily get you Silver @:-) Not that that's worth much if you plan on flying in Biz
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by atomic3
Disagree with this broad generalization. My very large, publically traded, non-investment or oil company allows business class for all employees for flights > 6 hours. Several peers in my industry have similar travel policies. The ones that are forced to fly coach see to come from smaller companies.
Smaller company assumption is not correct. I know many large companies who even for intl long-haul will only pay coach (mine included).

If you have a lot of employees who travel, biz class is always a target for cost cutting/expense control. It's a huge amount of extra expense going C vs Y

Our company used to allow >8 hrs in C but then changed to EVP and higher only. Reason: cost

Point: With discount fares you can definitely hit miles before the PQD with long hauls...

Last edited by wethereyet; Oct 29, 2013 at 8:43 pm Reason: need to make point...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by EmailKid
With 150% PQM for C, two TATLs will easily get you Silver @:-) Not that that's worth much if you plan on flying in Biz
Not necessarily. EWR-LHR is ~3500m. Two R/T =14000m, x1.5 =21000PQM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.