Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
You make it sounds as if the 1K flyer will fall from 1K to "No Status", which is not true. The person in your example will still be a Platinum, which still comes with nice (and more than acceptable) perks.
Actually, no where in my post did I make any reference to being "No Status". I don't know where in my post could you infer that.

My point is that 17 transcons RT @ normal market rate is what is possible to hit 1K; adding a revenue component is not necessarily going to help UA get more profit, as cited by another poster:

Originally Posted by Goalie
Bolding mine: I disagree. Look at it this way in very simple numbers-would you want to keep one person who spends $30,000 and lose 10 people who spend $5,000 each simply because they can't afford a spend requirement? They will jump to another entity offering the same thing where they can spend the same amount of money
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
You are not new to this forum... You really need me to provide you with an overview of the benefits of Silver status on UA?
Yes I need you to do this.

The only defense of these changes is that people are stealing all the goodies without paying for it. To which I rightfully ask, what goodies? Specifically, what cash goodies? At silver, Gold, or 1K?

It is June 2013. Is this not enough notice for you to plan ahead, or change your plans if you so desire?
Certainly. I never said otherwise. Of course, I haven't yet booked any 2014 travel. If I had, I might be ticked off (or not).

Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
Since the Houston Boys took over UNITED, I have flown extensively on premium tickets on other airlines. My experience has been varied but generally similar to or better than my experience as a 1k in the 2011-12 time frame. My experience on premium tickets on UNITED have been pretty much identical to what they were when I was a 1k now that I am a 75kplat.

So my piece of advice #1 is: if you want to get premium treatment, pay premium price.

And there IS something to be said for extending that concept out to the elite programs. Look at mutual funds as an example. Any investor can get the benefits of a certain mutual fund for a small minimum investment. But if you are willing and able to invest over $100k or $150k in that fund you will get lower fees and better service. Why? Because it is entirely financially rational to give discounts and perks to high revenue customers.

Look at dealer incentive programs. If a dealer sells $X in high profit product that dealer gets a profit. But if a dealer or retailer sells $Y in high profit product he or she gets a fabulous trip for his or her family to Hawaii or similar. Why? Because it is entirely financially rational to give incentives to high revenue generating dealers.

So, again, I don't blame the airlines for wanting to make revenue generation a feature of incentive/discount/elite programs. Fidelity would never dream of giving me access to preferred funds just because I opened 20 accounts with relatively small balances. An OEM wouldn't dream of giving an incentive trip to a dealer who sold even tens of thousands of unprofitable widgets. Because volume doesn't matter. It's all about the money.

Again, FFPs were a product of a paradigm where distance=cost. In that paradigm mileage programs were perfectly financially rational.

But that paradigm has been over for a long, long time. Today, mileage is a terrible indication of cost/revenue.

You know what IS a good indication of cost/revenue? Cost/revenue. @:-)

IOW, the free ride is ending. It sucks for many.

I hate $misek as much as anyone. But this move is perfectly financially rational.

Last edited by kokonutz; Jun 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Someone who consumes a lot of product while paying very little for it. That's what they are. Why is it okay that the someone who flies only 30K EQMs but spends $10-$15,000 doing it less valued and given fewer perks than someone who flies 55K EQMs for $3500 (your example)? I had Silver on DL for 3 years before crossing the mark for Gold on DL late last year. Yet last year was one of my lowest spend years. I just happened to have some west coast trips that bumped me over the mark instead of just short-hop east coast trips. Why am I all of the sudden more valuable this year than I was the previous 3 years, even though I spent significantly less? It works for me but I do get that the system is flawed and I can't fault the airline for changing it.
So the solution is to replace it with another flawed scheme? If something is broken, you don't replace with something that's even more broken and call it fixed.

FFPs in general have rewarded long haul pax and screwed the short segment hoppers. Many of those short hoppers paid high fares and only got marginal status. Even with the PQDs, they still don't get any more recognition - just the chance to get a higher status - if they either start flying long haul or keep doing those miserable puddle jumpers. It still doesn't help them. What

The problem is in how value is determined. The most common way is to say that more profit = more value, but it's also a very myopic way of viewing it to look at it quantitatively. There's a definite qualitative aspect that the beancounters miss. Some examples:

Pax A flies 30 segments of short haul at high prices, but only makes silver. Is he/she less valuable than the person who did 30 segments all as transcons, makes platinum, and paid less than the short haul pax?

UA has a flight with 10 seats left and is not expecting to sell those seats. They're expecting to lose $5000 on the flight. UA decides to sell those last seats at as a last minute special at $250 a piece. UA only loses $2500 instead. Is there not value in those 10 pax?

Pax B flies the same transcon trip one a month and does so for the long term. He's also made done that for the last 5 years. He usually pays $350. UA sees that it can count on $4200 a year from Pax B. Is there not value in that constant revenue stream.

Pax C flies about 25-30k a year - barely making silver. However, because he gets a free checked bag, expedited security, gets E+, and has a shot at the occasional upgrade on the Saturday redeye to BFE. UA consistently charges $250-300 for this route, while AA and DL may only charge $175-$200 on this route. Is there no value in that Silver consistently choosing UA over the cheaper competition because UA offers a better value thru the Silver program?

Pax 1K flies a connection from a smaller airport that gives UA serves a few times a day. Pax 1K flies the early afternoon flight, leaving him plenty of time at the connection to hit the club and enjoy a drink. Pax 1K pays more than the Kettles and Silvers on the flight. While UA doesn't make a whole lot on the flight, but enough to keep it. UA's costs increase at the airport to the point that it doesn't make money, so it raises fares and fewer people fly the route. There's enough to keep service - just with fewer flights. UA decides to can the early afternoon flight and does an early morning flight and a mid afternoon flight to coincide with the morning and evening bank of flights. Pax 1K now chooses between taking the early morning flight, the late afternoon flight, or driving. Did those pax flying on cheaper fares not have value - especially to that 1K?

There are a lot of scenarios.

I'm not saying people who spend big bucks on an airline shouldn't be recognized. In many aspects, they already are (or were) with better chances at upgrades, more bags, higher priority in IRROPS, etc. What I am saying is that there are a lot of different value propositions to look at, and eliminating some of those can affect things more deeply than just "hey, there's less competition for that upgrade now."

The ones who are upset that the game in the airline industry are upset because the game is changing to one that makes more sense, rather than easy to game. If you made high level status on low-spend in previous years, good for you. The game was set-up so that you could game it and some people played it to their advantage. You can't fault anyone for doing it but now the game is changing and some people can't handle it. They're finding out they're not as valuable as they thought they were because the airline had a flawed concenpt for measuring what makes an "Elite" customer. The game has changed. As Clint Eastwood says in Heartbreak Ridge: "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome".

Hogwash. It's not a "game" that only "gamers" exploiting "el cheapo" MRs are upset about. This goes to the myopia I talk about earlier.

It also leads people to think that they're more valuable than they are to an airline. Continue that smug attitude - when you no longer have a job that pays for travel, you'll be in the back of the bus with the rest of the riffraff. That is, unless you're one of the fortunate who can afford a lot of premium travel on their own dime, then you can continue the righteous indignation.

If those el cheapo fares are so awful, why does UA offer them? Or give credit for them? If I buy from Priceline, I don't get FF credit. It's not like it's a terribly hard concept. So it's not like there aren't solutions.

UA needs those flyers just as much as it needs the higher value too.

There are plenty of people who fly UA domestically but prefer to fly the better *A carriers internationally, or are forced to fly US to some places UA doesn't reach. This program screws them unless they can somehow convince UA to ticket the itinerary on 016 stock, or pay for more expensive codeshares.

Miles have generally been a fair yardstick for measuring how much a person flies an airline - or an alliance. So have segments. The more you have, the more you've flown. There have even been COS bonuses to recognize higher fares.

UA also needs to recognize that value cuts both ways. If it wants to demand more value out of pax for the status it offers - fine. However, it needs to make it worth striving for. UA is looking for ways to give less and expect more for it.

If how much money you spend is how you determine loyalty, fine. Scrap the whole concept of miles and segments, and reward only on money spent. It means miles are irrelevant because those don't indicate how much value you are to an airline. However, this system can still be gamed too. All it takes is his employer buying one expensive C or F ticket and flying el cheapos the rest of the year. Does that make that pax a valuable customer? Perhaps for the premium flight, but according to you, he'd be a bottom feeder the rest of the year. However, according to the metrics, he's quite a valuable customer because he spent $10 in a year ...

Here's the bottom line: loyalty can't be determined by a number. It may be gauged somewhat by one number or several numbers, but it doesn't explain how that number came to be. Numbers can be mucked with, but they don't take into account what happens outside the realm of numbers. Only looking beyond the numbers can you see the real story.

And only then, will UA realize that people can be fickle and can leave just as easily as they were loyal. But it will be too late when Jeff and Co. realize that.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Most businesses gives an incentive of around 1%. For example, that's what you can get from a typical cash-back credit card. So, your expenditure of $3500 is worth maybe $35 in incentives. By spending that money on flights that earn you 55,000 RDM, you're getting more than 10 times that amount instead. You're getting a domestic round-trip ticket. On top of that, you get to use the Premier Access lane at TSA and at the gate, and you get E+ at check-in. I think you're doing alright.
This is an argument to eliminate RDM completely. Please don't give them any more ideas.

If the incentive truly drops to 1% then it's simply a zero sum game lowest bid wins. If that is where UA unilaterally wishes to go, I will enjoy seeing the result.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Times change. Like it or not, the tables are now more in favor of the producer than the customer.
For now possibly. However its not always the best business maneuver to alienate even so-call "marginal customers".

Also, its not as if earnings at the various carriers are "gangbusters". P/E's are low for a reason as profit margins are usually slim even during the best of times.

Every consumer loves supply and demand when it benefits them, but once the tables start to turn everyone is up in arms shouting "That's not fair!" Capacity is reducing while demand is increasing.
Demand is elastic. People (and business) will pay only so much. If the economy starts going down-well, you know what happens.

Airlines may have needed lower-value elites through the recession but the economy is improving (somewhat) and the supply is diminishing, meaning low-value elites aren't as valuable and aren't worth rewarding.
As I've mentioned before, telling those customers to "screw-off" isn't necessarily the best business maneuver.

IMHO, the economy isn't improving and if anything, is getting worse (but that's a completely discussion).

Hard as it may be to believe, UA would rather 8 different customers paying $450 each book 8 round trips and then having to pay bag fees and paying for other perks on those trips than having one elite book the same 8 trips and receive complimentary perks. The former results in more revenue for the airline. If you believe that airline FF programs were built around "loyalty" you're sorely mistaken. They're marketing gimmicks and nothing more.
As I've previously mentioned, that one elite many times brings in a lot of other sources of revenue. The 8 different customers also might not fly UA in the first place. They also might not spend money with UA if the economy goes "south" or for other reasons.

Time will only tell if this was the right decision and maybe it will backfire on UA and DL, but given the way the airline market is heading, this looks like it will be a smart decision.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and you certainly might be correct. I happen to respectively disagree with you.

Only time will tell us who is correct and who isn't. I'll leave it at that.
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Superguy
Except those don't always clear, and UA is more than willing to sell a TOD out from under a Y/B fare. Plenty on that in other threads.

If you want to guarantee a ride up front, buy an F ticket.
You're way off base. United offers instant upgrades to PP and 1K buyers of B and M fares. When I book a B/M fare, I'm offered, at time of booking, an upgrade to first class. This upgrade occurs when I buy the ticket and gives me a guaranteed F seat at a much lower (usually) price than an F fare. There's no "selling out from under", once booked it is guaranteed. Of course, there are are only a limited number of such upgrades available.

Passengers who booked B/M fares and got guaranteed upgrades, even months in advance, show up as confirmed upgrades on the flight status page once they check in. So if you are looking at that upgrade list to see who upgraded ahead of you, you have to bear in mind that they might be on the list not because they had a higher status than you, but because they booked a guaranteed upgrade weeks or months ago.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
4)Many "loyal" flyers with a particular carrier will eventually add family, friends and/or business with that particular carrier
Many "loyal" flyers will also tell their family, friends, and associates when a particular carrier screws them over and it's no longer worth dealing with them.

Originally Posted by SunLover
Shouldn't that be: Someone who consumes a lot of product while paying the asking price for it?
^ It's not like someone goes up to UA, holds a knife to their throat and says "you will sell me that transcon for $200."

Originally Posted by cae2010
Thanks! I'm in Columbia, SC. I'll certainly agree that I wouldn't spend more money on more expensive fares for the same seats just to qualify for elite status. But then again, I don't have to.
I suspect (but of course can't prove...) that there are lots of people like me out there, who pinch pennies and still have no trouble coming in well above 10 CPM, because of the airfares we're being charged.
There's another hub nearby that you may want to consider.

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
You're way off base. United offers instant upgrades to PP and 1K buyers of B and M fares. When I book a B/M fare, I'm offered, at time of booking, an upgrade to first class. This upgrade occurs when I buy the ticket and gives me a guaranteed F seat at a much lower (usually) price than an F fare. There's no "selling out from under", once booked it is guaranteed. Of course, there are are only a limited number of such upgrades available.
I know how it's SUPPOSED to work. However, if there is no Y/B upgrade available - guess what? You don't get it!

There's plenty of stories of 1Ks and GSs on FT being on Y and B fares and sitting in the back.

Putting you in F on one of those fares would "cost" them money. Why do that when they can sell a TOD, put a Kettle or another elite up front, and pocket more money?

I'm not saying Y/B/M up don't happen, but I am saying that they're not guaranteed and are still controlled by revenue management. They may only free up one such seat - capacity controls ya know. If UA thinks they can sell that F seat - you're not going to get it.

Passengers who booked B/M fares and got guaranteed upgrades, even months in advance, show up as confirmed upgrades on the flight status page once they check in. So if you are looking at that upgrade list to see who upgraded ahead of you, you have to bear in mind that they might be on the list not because they had a higher status than you, but because they booked a guaranteed upgrade weeks or months ago.
Quite honestly, I don't care how the pax higher on the list got the upgrade -whether Y/B/M, miles, TOD, whatever. Point is, if UA thinks it can make a buck keep a Y fare in the back and selling that upgrade, it will. After all, you paid for, and got Y. You can't demand more without buying F.

You also clearly have more faith in UA than I do.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 21, 2013 at 1:57 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I hate $misek as much as anyone. But this move is perfectly financially rational.
Only if they actually provide better service for that premium price. Relative to the competition.

Given you buy "Z" fares on OAL, clearly they aren't - you are probably making sound buying decisions.

And slashing the majority of their current FF base doesn't make that issue any better.

Also, I am not sure how putting in a waiver for anyone with $25K spend at all things non UA, but on a UA Chase card, fits your idea of "perfectly financially rational".

Though BofA does waive monthly checking fees since they hold my mortgage (and my jewels as a result).
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Hogwash. It's not a "game" that only "gamers" exploiting "el cheapo" MRs are upset about. This goes to the myopia I talk about earlier.

It also leads people to think that they're more valuable than they are to an airline. Continue that smug attitude - when you no longer have a job that pays for travel, you'll be in the back of the bus with the rest of the riffraff. That is, unless you're one of the fortunate who can afford a lot of premium travel on their own dime, then you can continue the righteous indignation.
^ Almost all people who support this move are OPM flyers, and would never make any status on their own.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
I can go to a restaurant every week and order a side salad and water and pay the menu price of $2 for the salad. While that makes me a frequent customer, it doesn't necessarily make me a "valued" one just because I'm there often...
It's not as black and white as you say. In your case, once a week you sit down to have a meal. A quarter of the time you might bring a friend, or a business associate. They order something a little more expensive. Once in a while you bring a big group (the family?). The kids eat off the kiddie menu because they take up far less resources, are lighter, don't carry around a 2 ton roller and consider it a "carry on". Other times it's just you again.

Frankly, I say that makes me more valuable than someone who just blows through the restaurant once a year on their b-day for a bit of a binge.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:32 pm

There's another hub nearby that you may want to consider.
If you mean CLT, I do fly out of there regularly. That's why my European flights are only 14 CPM.
If you mean ATL, that's a great deal more trouble to get to, which would have to factor into the decision.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Only if they actually provide better service for that premium price. Relative to the competition.

Given you buy "Z" fares on OAL, clearly they aren't - you are probably making sound buying decisions.

And slashing the majority of their current FF base doesn't make that issue any better.

Also, I am not sure how putting in a waiver for anyone with $25K spend at all things non UA, but on a UA Chase card, fits your idea of "perfectly financially rational".

Though BofA does waive monthly checking fees since they hold my mortgage (and my jewels as a result).
I generally fly whoever has the cheapest business class fare anymore. Often that's US. Which has a demonstrably lower standard of service than UNITED on flights less than 3.5 hours. But wifi MORE than makes up for that. So service levels are relative.

As for the card, I imagine that, as they are for bloggers, credit cards are a huge source of revenue for the airlines. And pushing that make financial sense for them.

What this hue and cry is really about, imho, is that for a long time the airlines acted somewhat financially irrationally. To my and everyone here's benefit!

But now they are wising up. Which sucks for us. But you can't blame a dairy farmer for stopping the practice of giving the milk away for free and instead saying: want the milk? Buy the cow.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Yes I need you to do this.

The only defense of these changes is that people are stealing all the goodies without paying for it. To which I rightfully ask, what goodies? Specifically, what cash goodies? At silver, Gold, or 1K?
Uncle. I decline to continue this conversation.

You may now say: "I am right, nobody can tell me what the benefits of Silver are on United, and why they justify a 25,000 PQM / $2.5K PQM commitment from UA's customers."

Even though you are a 30,000 post FT evangelist...

Originally Posted by rankourabu
^ Almost all people who support this move are OPM flyers, and would never make any status on their own.
And your point is?

Why is this distinction important?

(About 60 - 70% of my travel is reimbursed. As with my personal travel, I look for the greatest cost / benefit ratio when I purchase. In fact, my company travel policy mandates this.)
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gld 1MM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
3 thoughts:

1. FFPs do 2 things and most posts here don't distinguish them. They provide a "rebate" for flying - namely RDMs. Leave Flyertalk and this is what most people see them as doing. Nothing really has changed with this move. The other thing they do is allow the airline to identify their most valuable customers (much as any business tries to do) so that they can in some ways treat them better. That is of course the elite programs. As with any business it is up to the business to define what they mean by "most valuable customers" and that is all UA is doing here. Are they right or wrong regarding this redefinition - really that is for them to evaluate over time and from the outside all we can do is make (generally wild) speculations. Noone has to like the changes but they are simply a reflection of what UA thinks defines their most valuable customers - live with it.

2. For months (actually years now) there has been a consistent drumbeat of the notion that "when everyone is an elite, no one is elite". UA is making a change to make elite a somewhat more restrictive set of people. I.e., there are moving slightly away from "everyone is an elite" but the result here is a lot of hand wringing. I guess what everyone who said things like that phrase really meant didn't include the notion that perhaps their purchase patterns might not really make them "elite" or at least "as elite" as they wanted to claim.

3. I suspect that reality is that for the vast majority of the non-FT flyer population this change won't amount to much. Some at the margin will see their level go down one level but in the larger population not that many folks make a level "on the number" because they aren't optimizing their travel to do so. So while folks that are making the level on the number have to hit 10cpm (which isn't really that hard to hit with a mix of travel), many folks will actually need to only hit 7-8 cpm. Consider the typical non-FT traveler who flies just to get places. Just a guess but it seem likely that the average Silver probably flies not 25K but more like 35K miles per year - they fly where they need to and it just lands somewhere. That flyer needs just over 7cpm. Or the 1K who does in reality, say 120K miles will need a bit over 8 cpm. Generalizing conclusions from a population that works hard to make levels exactly can be quite misleading.
Rationality and sanity after 1700 comments. Bravo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.