Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Id say there are a number of people of people in this thread who can easily make the spend and yet they are still 'peeved' at this move.

Have you read the preponderance of posts?
Yet there's another thread in this forum in which post #2 claims that 'most' Premiers like the PQD plan. Clearly, somebody is disconnected from reality.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by STS-134
What planet have you been living on for the past year? They already have eliminated Silver. It exists in name only now. None of the benefits you get as a Silver are meaningful.
It's certainly worth a few hundred dollars a year in free E+ seats for you and a companion.

My daughter (Premier Silver) got a free upgrade from SFO to MEX for herself and a companion. That's worth several hundred dollars, at least.

If you get thousands of dollars of benefits and you complain it's not "meaningful" enough for you, it's easy to see why people think you are suffering from an inflated sense of entitlement.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What planet have you been living on for the past year? They already have eliminated Silver. It exists in name only now. None of the benefits you get as a Silver are meaningful.
Well, as a silver, if you buy a Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets, you do get an instant upgrade.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
"Fixing" the boarding system would elicit just as many howls.

I think United's is that there ARE too many "Elites/Premiers". The simplest solution is just get rid of the Silver level. It's such a ridiculously easy hurdle that I wouldn't even call most "frequent" flyers.

Plus, offering P access to CC holders has so cheapened the Premier program.
Killing silver would indeed be an "easy fix". However, the point of silver is to get FFers enamored with status. I know when I made silver (then called Premier) I thought it was cool, and wanted more. Once I made silver and got those four 500 milers in the mail, I made sure my 25001th mile and beyond was on UA so that I could use the upgrades. No longer was price the only determinator. It had to be price and UA. Was a 1P then for nearly a decade until I made 1K for the first time.

So killing silver would in the long run gut gold, plat, 1K, and GS. Good for us perhaps, but I think the geniuses at UA would conclude the elite aspect of the program was not buying UA anything and benefits would further erode.

BTW, remember the seemingly perennial DEQM promotions of years past? I wonder if there will be DPQD promotions.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mre5765

So killing silver would in the long run gut gold, plat, 1K, and GS.
The 'long run' is not part of COdbaUA thinking.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
If we simply change our UA Profile's address to outside the U.S., will the "2014 Changes" be a moot point?...........Or, am I missing something?

Last edited by EMan; Jun 29, 2013 at 9:53 am
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
How many unique posters on the UA forums? How many unique users on this thread. Are you kidding me, that is probably less than .1% The extreme minority here care about the change. Real numbers. Lets see passengers flown in 2014 to see who really is affected?

You saw this coming when Delta announced it and you didn't switch airlines to AA or WN? Like I said the real road warriors have no problem with this change. I am not entitled and have reset my travel day expectations as the industry in general has lowered these, not just UA. I now cross my fingers like everyone else for CPU, wasn't like that before but it is what it is.

UA exist to make money, period. I have no problem with that and can switch airlines at anytime. For now, I can't. I flew WN in 2007 - 2009 exclusively and when they changed their FF program, I never stepped on their metal again. Don't even consider it, that's not complaining, that's action.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
It's certainly worth a few hundred dollars a year in free E+ seats for you and a companion.

My daughter (Premier Silver) got a free upgrade from SFO to MEX for herself and a companion. That's worth several hundred dollars, at least.

If you get thousands of dollars of benefits and you complain it's not "meaningful" enough for you, it's easy to see why people think you are suffering from an inflated sense of entitlement.
When I first made Premier Silver, I got free E+ access at booking, two free bags, and even a couple CPUs. Now I'm 0 for 7 this year on CPUs as a Gold, and were I still a Silver, I'd only get one free bag.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Huh? Those aren't from the people who are completely unaffected, those are from people who are concerned that they will be affected. Exactly the opposite.
There are plenty not affected now who are concerned about 2015. There are others who can easily make the spend and have said they'd book away from UA. Which thread are you reading?

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Amen to that!
Originally Posted by hobo13
Yet there's another thread in this forum in which post #2 claims that 'most' Premiers like the PQD plan. Clearly, somebody is disconnected from reality.
Apparently, and thankfully, it isn't me.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:13 am
Suspended

When I first made Premier Silver, I got free E+ access at booking, two free bags, and even a couple CPUs. Now I'm 0 for 7 this year on CPUs as a Gold, and were I still a Silver, I'd only get one free bag.
Well, I guess if it's not valuable to you that must prove that it's not valuable to anyone. Despite any evidence to the contrary.

Do you believe other people even exist? Or are you a solipsist, you are the only real person and all of the rest of us are just figments of your imagination?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Well, I guess if it's not valuable to you that must prove that it's not valuable to anyone. Despite any evidence to the contrary.

Do you believe other people even exist? Or are you a solipsist, you are the only real person and all of the rest of us are just figments of your imagination?
Someone clearly doesn't get hyperbole. Here's the meaning in case you're unfamiliar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

I guess what I should have said (for people unfamiliar with hyperbole) was: Silver is a shell of its former self. The benefits are nearly meaningless compared to what they were before.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:18 am
Suspended

Someone clearly doesn't get hyperbole. Here's the meaning in case you're unfamiliar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

I guess what I should have said (for people unfamiliar with hyperbole) was: Silver is a shell of its former self. The benefits are nearly meaningless compared to what they were before.
If what you mean to say is, "There are still many very valuable benefits of Premier Silver membership, but there used to be more," then, "None of the benefits are meaningful," is a ridiculous way to try to express that idea.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Agreed - Silver is a shell of what it used to be. Silver in 2014, for 25K PQM? Better for some relative to a $95 credit card; others, not so much.

Silver for 2015, for 25K PQM AND $2,500 on UA metal flights (more or less) minimum pre-tax? Much less so.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Like anything else, the people who aren't affected by something (or might even benefit from it) generally aren't going to be up in arms about it.
There seem to be some folks who just dropped in here in the last day or so, haven't read 2500+ posts or participated in the whole rolling discussion, and yet think they know how this whole community feels about PQD. It might behoove those parties to "read in" a little further before they speak for us.

Even the spendingest OPMer worries about PQM if he or she has any brains, for at least three reasons. One, PQM is a highly fungible, potentially arbitrary "black box" calc, far less straightforward than miles, and CO had a history of "black box" benefit determination that didn't exactly work in elites' favor. Two, the goal posts are obviously going to move over time, just like every aspect of every FF program gets devalued over time. Three, when your OPM days come to an end the change will rock your world if creeping devaluation hasn't done so already.

Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
How many unique posters on the UA forums? How many unique users on this thread. Are you kidding me, that is probably less than .1% The extreme minority here care about the change.
FT is a blood sample. You don't have to flush all the blood out of someone's body to see if they have hepatitis; a few cc's will tell you all you need to know. Most UA FFers have no idea this has even happened yet, but when they do find out there will be holy hell to pay.

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
We're due for another message from UA Insider. The last one was 1200 messages ago. And there are a lot unanswered questions in the wiki.
I wouldn't hold my breath. I doubt UA thought the PQM rules through to the point where those questions can be answered. More reasons to worry about the "black box" aspects of this thing.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:47 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I wouldn't hold my breath. I doubt UA thought the PQM rules through to the point where those questions can be answered. More reasons to worry about the "black box" aspects of this thing.

The other issue is that UA is now a big company with multiple layers of people that need to be consulted and kept in the loop for even minor changes. This takes time, lots of time, as indicated by the UA Insider's infrequent posts.
Finally, when Scott was with CO, he apparently had more power to make decisions and keep us more current. With his 'assimilation' into UA, his replacements, IMO, are at a lot lower level (No disrespect intended, just my opinion after meeting those people personally) and, thus, we get info 'all in good time'.

Edited to add: FT opinions/views are probably viewed by the powers that be in UA as unimportant (or at least 'less important') to the company now than in the past. I can only think that the person that said that certain elites are overentitled has a big voice in the current modifications of the program. He (or her) is betting their job on the outcome.

Last edited by Vulcan; Jun 29, 2013 at 11:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.