Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
7850 is over 200 nm longer than 7609?
Which leaves a 0 margin for error. Won't be done or you would have a thread similar to "757 TATL fuel diversions"
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Darlox
I'll add to the chorus of "not gonna happen"...

In addition to the equipment and other factors mentioned above, because of arrival restrictions at Changi, the SQ flight always had to depart at like 10am. This timing makes it infeasible for a US airline to get any kind of significant feed into LAX prior to the flight same-day, so it would be (effectively) a West Coast-only flight. As SQ discovered, there's not the traffic to support that.
At least when I flew it, the SQ flight was a late night departure from LAX (around midnight)

No kidding. But you really want more cushion than that.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Kacee
No kidding. But you really want more cushion than that.
So Boeing reports range like my car does, and expects the airlines to deduct a cushion?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Not that I think UA will fly LAX to SIN in a million years but if it did need to divert a 788 for fuel in case of high headwinds it would overfly a bunch of UA stations so not a big deal (NRT, PVG, HKG).
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
were getting SQ a345's haha
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
And did you factor in the weather like wind ?

You know 744 for ORD-HKG have plenty of range on paper, but when the wind is particular strong (especially for westbound flights), occasionally it has to make a fuel stop at ANC or PEK as well.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
were getting SQ a345's haha
Jeff is going to run them on the wine the serve in F.....its cheaper then jet fuel.

Just to play along, would the A350's be a candidate for this route?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
In addition to the equipment and other factors mentioned above, because of arrival restrictions at Changi, the SQ flight always had to depart at like 10am. This timing makes it infeasible for a US airline to get any kind of significant feed into LAX prior to the flight same-day, so it would be (effectively) a West Coast-only flight. As SQ discovered, there's not the traffic to support that.
Originally Posted by Kacee
At least when I flew it, the SQ flight was a late night departure from LAX (around midnight).
IIRC, the SQ non-stops left LAX around 9 PM or so. When SQ flew LAX-TPE-SIN, those flights left around 1 AM.

UA and SQ would also have to start cooperating a LOT more closely on feed to other destinations in SE Asia to make this really successful, and I don't see that happening either! Right now, UA would rather route you out-of-alliance on CX or KA, via HKG, than sell a SQ flight...
It was very telling that SQ code-shared with US on a number of routes rather than UA. As far as I can tell, there was no love lost between UA and SQ.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
This is why Boeing is building the 777/8x. The A350-900 has almost 500 orders for this long distance puppy as well. I think the 8x and 350-900 will do well out of LAX or IAD.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So Boeing reports range like my car does, and expects the airlines to deduct a cushion?
Yes, exactly. Range can vary depending on a whole bunch factors. And you really don't want to miscalculate and come up short.

Take a look at the map here: 777_range_la

It shows the 777-300ER range from LAX falling well short of SIN, despite the aircraft having a listed max range of 7825 nautical miles.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Would it be possible that person might have been referring to LAX-HKG instead of LAX-SIN.

I think that HKG might be more plausible than SIN.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by 1kBill
It was very telling that SQ code-shared with US on a number of routes rather than UA. As far as I can tell, there was no love lost between UA and SQ.
SQ also code shares with VX on a number of connecting routes out of SFO. I regularly see SQ pax on VX's SFO-LAS flights. Talk about a vote of no-confidence.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc
Would it be possible that person might have been referring to LAX-HKG instead of LAX-SIN.

I think that HKG might be more plausible than SIN.
LAX-HKG would be a nice addition. As much as I dislike flying United long haul, it'd be handy having a Star Alliance carrier flying this route.

Currently, this route is only served by Cathay.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hell with the distance. Have you tried to survive 18h flight in Y cabin?

SQ's A340 was C only configuration for a reason. And even when they managed to fill the cabin with paid customers they found out that flying SIN-LAX/SIN-EWR does not make economical sense...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew?

Bring back nrt-hkg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.