Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The biggest international holes in UA's network now as I see it:

EWR-JNB: SAA flies JFK-JNB, but UA has O/D and feed through EWR, so EWR-JNB is a no-brainer...especially to steer traffic away from DL ATL-JNB, as well. UA's costs would be less with 789, too.

IAD-JNB/CPT: SAA flies IAD-JNB with a stop in DKR. UA can offer IAD-JNB nonstop using 789. No USA carrier flies to CPT...but JNB is the better bet for business traffic.
But UA doesn't have any 787s on the east coast (thank god) so from a fleet planning perspective it might be an issue. However agreed that a nonstop EWR/IAD-JNB would be very useful and is a major hole.

LAX/SFO-MNL: Philippines Air flies LAX-MNL with great O/D This is the 2nd biggest hole for UA in the Pacific rim. (BKK is biggest, but it depends on LAX-SIN and how UA performs vs SQ.)
Problem with MNL is that it's very much low-yielding VFR traffic so although the market is there not sure if the profits are or not. And they can always flow traffic via NH/NRT. Also it's rather surprising how DL is cutting NRT-BKK but keeping NRT-MNL — wonder how long that'll last.

LAX/SFO-EZE/GRU: Biggest West Coast hole for UA is access to South America. Routing to IAH is inconvenient. Unlikely compared to other routes.
Interestingly though there are no airlines flying West Coast-EZE and only AA on LAX-GRU (plus KE 3x weekly but that's going away soon). So not sure if the demand for a nonstop exists or if people are fine connecting in IAH/MIA/ATL.

I'd like to see IAD/EWR-EZE return though — somehow UA managed to run IAD-EZE for quite a while until CO management shifted the route to EWR and it failed after a year...
Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Silver
SFO or EWR-CAN?

SFO had previous clearance I think, but the route never happened
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Now that GA will begin flying to the US as early as next year, it would be nice to see UA compete and launch a SFO-CGK route. An A35K could possibly make the trip. So maybe in 2018?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
IAH-Caribbean destinations only served by EWR/IAD. People in the Western half of the country want to get to the Caribbean too.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Seby12
IAH-Caribbean destinations only served by EWR/IAD. People in the Western half of the country want to get to the Caribbean too.
Part of there protest for WN getting international flights, so the last thing they'd probably do is open IAH-Caribbean.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Madone59
The return of SAN-CLE would be nice. I have no interest in going to CLE but it was a much nicer connecting experience than IAD or ORD.
It's interesting you say this; the business community here at CLE would like this daily service restored. I don't see this happening with UA though... it's more likely to happen with WN first.

I've said before, UA should offer a limited selection of flights out of CLE to appease to O/D traffic and connecting traffic as an alternative to connecting at some of its more crowded hubs. I think it would help ease some of the delays at ORD in particular. Think CVG's role for Delta. Still a hub, but just on a limited basis.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by plinth857
It's interesting you say this; the business community here at CLE would like this daily service restored. I don't see this happening with UA though... it's more likely to happen with WN first.

I've said before, UA should offer a limited selection of flights out of CLE to appease to O/D traffic and connecting traffic as an alternative to connecting at some of its more crowded hubs. I think it would help ease some of the delays at ORD in particular. Think CVG's role for Delta. Still a hub, but just on a limited basis.
As an ex-DL flyer who grew up in western MI and frequently goes there in the winter for the holidays, I would love to see more regional traffic fly into CLE. Pair that with some longer hub-to-hub routes (CLE-LAX/SFO/DEN/etc.), and one finally has options in the event a storm front comes up through Mexico, smashes IAH, then meets with a Canadian air mass and blasts ORD.

DL has two mid-western hubs in DTW and MSP, which allow connecting to pretty much anywhere aside from South America and sub-Saharan Africa (those go through ATL). That redundancy is huge, as in most cases either one or the other is getting hosed by a storm in the same day.

Last edited by IamBartman; Aug 17, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
ISP-IAD or ISP-ORD. It would help make up for the pullout from JFK, and make LGA a LITTLE less sold out.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
IND-YUL. There are plenty of passengers who fly IND-YYZ and then connect to YUL that a once-daily flight would do the trick. I have been mistreated by Air Canada several times...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
EWR and ORD to Key West (EYW) during the winter months would be great.

Oh wait....just announced! http://keysnews.com/node/76928

Haven't heard it from UA yet but even a local news source is good for starters.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PenaltyBox

Would be good to know what time the flight is, but that's great - have looked at this in the past but was not really keen on flying Silver Air.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Would be good to know what time the flight is, but that's great - have looked at this in the past but was not really keen on flying Silver Air.
Daily from EWR and Sat only from ORD. Can't find times but I'd guess morning departure from the northern cities with a quick turn departing EWY after hotel checkout and back home by evening. E170 equipment.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PenaltyBox

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-apr-29-a.html
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Was just at ALB and saw UA only offers service to EWR, IAD, & ORD. Was kind of surprised there was no IAH service. With the oil issues, I wouldn't expect them to add a flight now, but maybe in the future?

Was also at CLT this week and saw no SFO service. Not really surprised, given SFO's lack of destinations outside the west and rocky mountain areas. AA manages 5x daily on this route and UA can't manage one.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
Was also at CLT this week and saw no SFO service. Not really surprised, given SFO's lack of destinations outside the west and rocky mountain areas. AA manages 5x daily on this route and UA can't manage one.
If we go by UAs past, they will probably add this route. UA has already added SFO-MSP/ATL in the last 2 years. So SFO-CLT is probably on the horizon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.