Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
DEN=>LHR! And LH back to MUC

And something to Chile.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by AJCU
DEN=>LHR!
+1 How can BA make a 747 work with very little
Connecting feed on the Den side. Wouldn't the 787 make sense?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
BA makes it work because the airline offers great service. If you had the option to fly UA or BA, what would you choose?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trvlr70
BA makes it work because the airline offers great service. If you had the option to fly UA or BA, what would you choose?
For me, it's honestly a toss-up.

I find BA to be UA with an accent and more arrogance than indifference.

I had BA Gold status the last few years and let it lapse. I found I was as frustrated flying BA as I was flying UA. YMMV. I am now flying AA between LAX and LHR on the new 77W.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Plat
PS service JFK-LCY

Not sure of the capability of the sUA 752 on a route like this, but generally speaking the 752 has pretty decent short field performance and would nicely compliment the PS service at JFK, IMO.

I know BA flies this route as well but honestly I have no idea of well it's performing. In any case this would be a nice option for UA and *A to have a flight like this.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Continited
PS service JFK-LCY

Not sure of the capability of the sUA 752 on a route like this, but generally speaking the 752 has pretty decent short field performance and would nicely compliment the PS service at JFK, IMO.

I know BA flies this route as well but honestly I have no idea of well it's performing. In any case this would be a nice option for UA and *A to have a flight like this.
Not unless they buy some Airbus 318's. LCY is type restricted.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
CX was always around, but not to the extent they are today. CX now has 4 flights a day scheduled between LAX and HKG (the 4th either just started or will shortly). United can't manage one. Bottom line is that if there is competition, United loses.
LAXHKG had always been problematic for UA (it switched to LAX-SFO-HKG long long long time ago). For UA, they haven't ran away from SFO/ORD/EWR-HKG despite very strong competition from CX.

"Running away from competition" is defined as PMAA not flying to AMS+MUC from *any* hub despite being 2 of the most important cities in Europe.

UA used to also fly HKG-BKK and HKG-DEL. Both gone.
HKG-DEL didn't drop because of competition. It was a bygone relic from the PanAm around-the-world days that no longer made any sense in the age of partnership and alliances. It also landed like 2am, which really isn't ideal.

I still recall the 747-400 OP configuration. Something like 32 seats in F (Zones A and B, so all the way back to the second set of doors) and business in C, D and upstairs, so all the way back to the 4 doors. The only Y was in the last section between the 4 and 5 doors. Needless to say, upgrades were easy. Seat comfort not so much.
That was WAAAY back when NRT was the be-all-end-all Asian destination, and China/Korean's economy were no where to be seen.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Not sure it was suggested or not, but my wish is

IAD-ICN!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
OAK-IAH and OAK-DEN

Both would appear to be no-brainers for O/D at OAK as millions who live on this side of the bay would prefer not to deal with ATC and WX delays at SFO. Also UA still maintains service at OAK so might as well get some additional use from the staff and gates.

I gather UA simply could not compete with WN @DEN but this is a bit ironic (and specious) as UA's advance purchase fares from SFO are actually lower than WN's (also true for IAH/HOU).

UA could also get better use from BUR but that's another story.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Also UA still maintains service at OAK so might as well get some additional use from the staff and gates.
They do? When was the last time you flew into OAK? SFO diversions don't count.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 787fan

HKG-DEL didn't drop because of competition. It was a bygone relic from the PanAm around-the-world days that no longer made any sense in the age of partnership and alliances. It also landed like 2am, which really isn't ideal.

That was WAAAY back when NRT was the be-all-end-all Asian destination, and China/Korean's economy were no where to be seen.
It is always interesting to read comments relate to those routes, planes and locations I flown and visited often.

Having flown HKG-DEL-LHR often in the late 90s. I did notice most of the flights arrived and departed DEL within those 3 to 4 hours window (11 pm to 3 am). Those schedules were better for flights connections back in Europe and East Asia. The timing of DEL-LHR was great for me to get into London early in the morning.

The fact UA had a 2 am arrival time into DEL was quite normal instead of "not deal" if one looks at it from the late 90s perspective.

I have also flown a ton of 744OB operated flights between SFO/PVG and ORD/NRT and LAX/HKG. The introduction of 744OB, IMHO, came much later than China/Korea economy "nowhere to be seen". I found the above comment rather arrogant and childish.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
CR2 becomes a nice choice if one can avoid E145, Q200, and Q300.
OT, but I thought the E145 was superior to the CR2 in every way? What does the CR2 have going for it?

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Basic route planning says that BA is flying from their hub, LHR to a significant spoke airport, DEN. Besides the O&D from London, they have feed from their entire UK and European network.

For UA, the question is besides local traffic from DEN, how much feed would they get that doesn't already have a nonstop to another UA hub with a LHR nonstop?

OTOH, I think it is true that every other UA hub has a flight to LHR.

OTOH, since LHR is slot-constrained, each UA flight has to count and has a lot of competition.

OTOH, UA does seem to be using up some of their precious LHR slots with 757s from EWR.

What other secondary cities in Europe can be served from EWR? I wonder what the priority list is? I'm sure UA has good data available from connecting information. Are there any European cities with U.S. carrier nonstops *not* served by UA yet? I mentioned BUD upthread but AA dropped that flight.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
IAH - CLO. Continental use to have this flight, starting in 2005 till around 2007 or 2008. I can imagine that CLO has a small market compared to BOG. UA already has two daily flights between IAH-BOG. Anyways, I miss IAH-CLO. I flew it a lot back in the days.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Ambassador Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Will there be LAX-ATL direct?

SFO just picked up two directs to ATL starting in April. Any chance that LAX will be doing the same thing anytime soon?

I know ATL is pretty much dominated by DL, but I'm 1K right now and not quite sure if I should fly DL or just suck it up and fly connections weekly for the next 9 months. I'm Platinum with DL, but Platinum is worthless when flying into a major hub.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Considering LAX is a Delta focus city I doubt it would be a successful route for UA, you never know, but I suspect they have better fights to pick with Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.