Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: When are your upgrades clearing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by mkr
Use "Search this Forum" function (upper right side of forum) and you will usually find what you are looking for.

Here is another thread that is currently discussing upgrades: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...not-clear.html
What about RPUs? Is there a thread like that for those? I requested an upgrade using an RPU months ago when I bought my ticket (on L fare SFO-IAD), and it is still not confirmed. Flight is next week, and if I check the seat map it shows 7 seats still open on BF.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
CMH-IAD CPU cleared this AM at T-96. Hoping the return will clear later tonight. U fare. Seat selector shows me as the only one in F.
IAD-CMH CPU cleared at T-96 last night.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Same happened to me this weekend. Was in coach at check-in and a minute after completing check-in I got the upgrade Email.
I've rarely gotten emails including the two most recent CPUs as well as a GPU that has cleared. Wish it worked for me the way it seems to work for others. I've checked my profile, it's there.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:57 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Starwood
getting fewer complementary upgrades in 2013?

Been a 1K since 2008, and have always very pleased with the amount of times I have gotten upgraded (rough estimate I'd say I get upgraded 8 out of 10 flights). The start of 2013, however, has brought changes. I have only been upgraded 2 of 10 flights.

Are any of you seeing the same trend, or have I just had bad luck?

I believe UA is now more aggressively selling first class upgrades at check-in, which I suspect is driving down my access to complementary upgrades.

in fact this article in the WSJ addresses it:
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...ker-for-a-day/

"On the question of selling first-class upgrades instead of giving them to top-tier customers, Mr. Smisek said the airline had to find a balance. “You want us to make money,” he told the frequent fliers. “Do we have the balance perfect? Of course we don’t.” But, he added, “We need to be able to sell some of the seats up front rather than upgrade them all.”"

I'm hoping we're not starting to see the end of the free upgrade as a perk for 1K flyers...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chuckles345
"On the question of selling first-class upgrades instead of giving them to top-tier customers, Mr. Smisek said the airline had to find a balance. “You want us to make money,” he told the frequent fliers. “Do we have the balance perfect? Of course we don’t.” But, he added, “We need to be able to sell some of the seats up front rather than upgrade them all.”"
Maybe he could sell seats up front if UA actually offered a product pax would pay for. @:-)
Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by InterFlyer
What about RPUs? Is there a thread like that for those? I requested an upgrade using an RPU months ago when I bought my ticket (on L fare SFO-IAD), and it is still not confirmed. Flight is next week, and if I check the seat map it shows 7 seats still open on BF.
yes, if there is R space available and you have an RPU waitlisted you should call and they will clear it for you. If the agent doesn't want to do it, ask for a supervisor. Either check back regularly or have Expertflyer monitor R space. Theoretically with R>0 RPUs/CPUs should clear, but UAs computer system is so bad it usually does not clear and you'll have to call.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO777
Maybe he could sell seats up front if UA actually offered a product pax would pay for. @:-)
Welcome to FT!
...Or pricing commensurate with product. I would pay $1200-1500 for 1st class round-trip between Houston on Maui in domestic first, but not the $3-4k they want.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Been a 1K since 2008, and have always very pleased with the amount of times I have gotten upgraded (rough estimate I'd say I get upgraded 8 out of 10 flights). The start of 2013, however, has brought changes. I have only been upgraded 2 of 10 flights.

I was 83% last year as a 1K out of EWR. Mix of high and low fares, day of week traveled and location.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
first time i cleared after 24 hour window

I have had decent upgrade success last year, except if i didn't clear by 24 hours out, i never did. That changed today - JFK-SFO. had to struggle with seat map for days to even get aisle seat in Y. Check in kiosk said all classes sold out. No buy ups. I went to number 3 on list at 24 hours out with no availability. I took my Y seat. A woman arrived at end of boarding with same seat number. I had a good feeling. they can and got me with new boarding pass and brought me up. was very surprised, every seat is taken, must have been luck and no shows.....
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: United
It has been airport-dependent for me, which makes no objective sense.

I took a triple-seven from Chicago to DC recently where I cleared five minutes before boarding. There were 10+ seats available in Business and I was third on the list. After waiting in a ten minute line, I gave the gate agent an incredulous look when she said I hadn't cleared yet and should just wait. Thirty seconds later, I get called back to the gate and had to wait again

I have not cleared a flight before two hours at Chicago or Atlanta this year.

All of my flights out of DC have cleared in the timeframe posted on United's site, and I have been upgraded on 75% of my outbound flights. If I'm not upgraded by the time I get to the airport, I know it's not happening. Same with San Antonio and Denver.

So I have a ridiculous theory about UA that the first few months each calendar year are rocky.

Last year, with the Continental merger, I felt like service took a nosedive. Around July or August, things felt like they were noticeably better. The year before that, UA was late for the strong majority of the flights, but got better by June.

This year, their 787s are combusting... look for it to be fixed by June
(at least let's hope so, as a Boeing shareholder).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
As a low life Gold, if I clear it's within the 23 hour period.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
On a late Dec flight from ORD to SXM, they actually came on the plane and moved up myself and one other person up to first. First was full but because of misconnections it ended up with 2 empty seats. Nice that they came back and got up.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I had a SEA-ORD clear at 96 hours yesterday. 1st time in a while.

Still 1/8 so far this year. Down-gauging doesn't help.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GS
My CPU for ORD-MCO just cleared right about exactly T-48. They must have upgraded a bunch because First was showing 17 seats open as of a couple hours ago and now it's showing 5. It was also showing R0 a couple hours ago but now, after all the upgrades, it's showing R1.

A bit annoying it didn't clear at T-96 but happy to know this far out that I got it. I can't help but think this isn't so much intentional revenue management so much as it is incompetence.

Of course I didn't get any text or email about it either.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
Just ran an MR this past weekend with four segments.

My third segment was upgraded at T-48 hours.
My first segment was upgraded at T-27 hours.

On the first segment, the first class seat map was over half open at T-48 hours. However when I received the upgrade email I checked and suddenly all but two seats were booked. I interpret this as possibly an issue with someone's reservation (out of synch?) that choked up the CPU process, and possibly when they checked in or called in to have the res fixed the systematic CPU queue cleared.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K , SPG Platinum , Hyatt Diamond , Marriot Gold , BW Diamond , Hertz PC
I have never received "upgrade email" ever. Wonder if somethings missing in my profile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.