Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: When are your upgrades clearing?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
They're not clearing as a 1K anymore. At least not CPU.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
I'm flying SFO-LHR on 13 May (flt930) and this morning received email from UAL:

"We're pleased to let you know that your request for an upgrade from San Francisco, CA (SFO) to London, England (LHR - Heathrow) has been confirmed. If you've requested an upgrade for another flight in this reservation, we will notify you separately if it is confirmed."

This is Class W to United BusinessFirst (R).

Email was sent "Tue, 07 May 2013 07:23:45" UTC. That's just after midnight this morning PDST.

That's $550 + 20K miles.
I'm a Gold member.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
As a 1K my CPUs have been clearing at different points this year. I've had far more clearing at the T-96 hour mark than in the previous year. Some clear T-72 hours.

I just had a flight from IAD-LAX and was not CPU'd. On the outbound (leaving at 8pm) I was #5 on the list (L fare) and on the return I was #15 (S fare). I guess there were heavy loads to LAX this weekend????
Old May 7, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Me Gold, wifey GM, ORD to BZE April 20 T fare no miles or instruments. Confirmed comp UG at T48 ORD to IAH.
Confirmed comp UG at T28 IAH to BZE.

Return April 27,
Confirmed comp UG at T36 BZE to IAH.
OLCI morning April 27 not on waitlist IAH to ORD; strange but contribute to possible split rez or international return, no matter had E+ exit with middle open
Old May 7, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

~ 1 minute after an EF alert.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
DEN - SJC May 7, cleared T-72. Mr. FRFF, also 1K, different PNR, cleared T-48.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
SFO-JFK on 5/6, Y to C using an RPU - cleared T-24 hrs and 20 minutes when I called in to force upgrade through having seen R space had opened up and wait listed upgrade had not automatically processed.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
My first domestic trip in quite a few weeks: EWR-LAS 5/10 on the 6:30p flight cleared CPU at t-96. I've had 2-3 others this year clear at t-96 but most have been sometime at t-24 or at the gate. Most of my travel is international so I don't really keep track.
Old May 8, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
5/12 CMH-DEN CPU at T-96 - E Fare
Old May 8, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by njcommodore
1. In theory it shouldn't have happened, but it leads me to think that instead of CPUs coming out of a subset of R they're coming out of a completely different, unpublished bucket that might tie close to R. In this case it seems the CPU bucket was 1+ and nothing went into R.

2. They don't

3. I think you're screwed on the RPU since you couldn't back it out. You can try arguing that the sponsored upgrade should have cleared first per UA's website but you might not get very far.
The RPU redeposited without having to ask - Plus
Old May 9, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, UA Gold, American EP, Southwest A List
Upgrade Factor

I was told by a Gate Agent that another factor (all other things being equal) is how many miles are sitting in your account (unused). That if two golds with same fare rate are awaiting upgrade, the one with the higher miles total in account will get bumped up first. Seems counter intuitive to "reward" those who don't cash in their miles vs miles flown or dollars spent per year.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ajkennedy
I was told by a Gate Agent that another factor (all other things being equal) is how many miles are sitting in your account (unused). That if two golds with same fare rate are awaiting upgrade, the one with the higher miles total in account will get bumped up first. Seems counter intuitive to "reward" those who don't cash in their miles vs miles flown or dollars spent per year.
I think the gate agent may have meant that it depends on how close one Gold is to becoming Platinum over another. That would make more sense... Oh, wait, we're talking about United here... Never mind the idea of common sense.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by ajkennedy
That GA is just dead wrong... One UC agent recently told me that fare class does not matter for upgrades, it was status and date of ticketing.

Yes, I put school into session.

Assuming in your case it was under 24 hours since you were dealing with a GA, the airport upgrade list is determined based on status, fare class, and time of check-in [assuming all GS and elites on instant upgrade fares have been cleared already].
Old May 9, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by golfingboy
That GA is just dead wrong... One UC agent recently told me that fare class does not matter for upgrades, it was status and date of ticketing.

Yes, I put school into session.

Assuming in your case it was under 24 hours since you were dealing with a GA, the airport upgrade list is determined based on status, fare class, and time of check-in [assuming all GS and elites on instant upgrade fares have been cleared already].
I certainly hope that fare class still counts, and that the GA was wrong!
Old May 9, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Last 4 flight legs 0/4 as a 1K to and from DFW and IAH from ORD. This is on mainline aircraft. Today 737-900 has 20 F seats. Still not clearing.

This simply bears out that 1K is the new Silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.