Search

UA: When are your upgrades clearing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
BWI-IAH 737-900
IAH-SAN 737-900

Cleared at T-72

previous flights were IAD-SFO-IAD which never clear unless GS...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
In my case, never. I haven't gotten a single upgrade since 3/3.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
MR this weekend, booked this morning. 2 x G Class (1 TCON), 72 hours out of both segs.

my SO cleared TPAC both ways with GPUs in April on booking yesterday.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
As a Platinum, this year I have had three upgradable domestic segments, with 2/3 upgraded. My other domestic leg was upgraded, but with an instrument as part of an international trip.

LAX-DEN, W fare on a Saturday, 737-800, upgraded at the gate
DEN-SEA, G fare, Friday AM, 757-200, upgraded 72 hours out

Not upgraded on SEA-DEN, Monday PM, G fare, 737-800.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:40 pm

My husband (Plat) is 2/5 this year.

The first cleared at T+1 (yes, plus). DEN-BOS on 1/29 went MX; he was #2 on the list when F originally filled but when the flight was delayed some people in F bailed and he got the upgrade.

His SFO-LAX flight (yesterday) cleared at T-72.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
1 at T-72 SNA/ORD on A320.
No upgrades for me on 5 other eligible flights during January, but I did get the pleasure of 12A on a RJ145 a few times
Have 4 flights on UA this month, maybe I'll have better luck on President's Day.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
F- showing 20/24 open, why no upgrades?

Traveling to Hawaii tomorrow. Have 1K status. Well within the 96 hour window and there has been NO movement on the CPU list. The .bomb website shows 20 open seats.(Just refreshed my screen, and confirmed with call to 1K desk). I"m not sure why I care as I"m in 7C on a 757-300 bird, but for some reason, I do care. Can anyone offer reasons why they are holding 20 seats at T-27 hours?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Could be any one of a number of reasons - including deliberately holding off on upgrades due to a planned cancellation of another flight and needing to accommodate pax, expecting misconnects due to weather, CPU process not running due to some issue with a reservation (unlikely), etc. Still have a decent chance of clearing as a 1K, either at the 24hr window if that hasn't arrived yet or at various points before the departure of the flight.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by tomj888
Traveling to Hawaii tomorrow. Have 1K status. Well within the 96 hour window and there has been NO movement on the CPU list. The .bomb website shows 20 open seats.(Just refreshed my screen, and confirmed with call to 1K desk). I"m not sure why I care as I"m in 7C on a 757-300 bird, but for some reason, I do care. Can anyone offer reasons why they are holding 20 seats at T-27 hours?
There is a multitude of reasons. People could have purchased F but not selected seat assignments. R space could be zero for whatever reason so nobody is clearing. UA might be trying to sell as many F seats with day of departure upgrades as possible, so they are holding on CPUs. The process can be somewhat opaque at times.

When you are looking at the website, are you looking at the seat map? It is not a good indicator of the load in any cabin of the plane.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is the new norm on some routes
as has been discussed in multiple threads, there is a greater push to sell upgrades. For a leisure route, much of this is done at check-in.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-clearing.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-2012-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...improving.html
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fjfv19
There is a multitude of reasons. People could have purchased F but not selected seat assignments. R space could be zero for whatever reason so nobody is clearing. UA might be trying to sell as many F seats with day of departure upgrades as possible, so they are holding on CPUs. The process can be somewhat opaque at times.
If you are talking about UA 1205 tomorrow, which does show 20/24 seats open on the seat map, it is showing F4, which means a lot of those "open" seats aren't available for sale.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
They value the individual transaction (cheap buy-ups) more than your loyalty basically
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is the new norm on some routes
as has been discussed in multiple threads, there is a greater push to sell upgrades. For a leisure route, much of this is done at check-in.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-clearing.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-2012-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...improving.html
Keep in mind though that none of this means that they will necessarily sell the upgrades cheaply. Maybe the OP can let us know what sort of an offer they get at check-in ^
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Verified by calling 1K desk

Originally Posted by halls120
If you are talking about UA 1205 tomorrow, which does show 20/24 seats open on the seat map, it is showing F4, which means a lot of those "open" seats aren't available for sale.
I thought that number was a bit high, so before posting I called the 1K desk to confirm that those seats were indeed unsold. I fully understand that the seat map on the website is only a reference point and many times is NOT accurate. As I said in my post, I'm obsessed at the moment wondering why status level upgrades windows are passing and NO seats are being assigned. I"m in no way delusional thinking that they are not trying to sell those seats first. Checkin time is a few hours away, I"ll post any offers to "buy up" I get when I check in.

Last edited by tomj888; Apr 18, 2013 at 10:54 am Reason: hit return prior to entering text.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by star_world
Could be any one of a number of reasons - including deliberately holding off on upgrades due to a planned cancellation of another flight and needing to accommodate pax, expecting misconnects due to weather, CPU process not running due to some issue with a reservation (unlikely), etc. Still have a decent chance of clearing as a 1K, either at the 24hr window if that hasn't arrived yet or at various points before the departure of the flight.
I find this post to be very very very revealing. You run over a very very long list of unlikely hypothetical, yet surprise, surprise, surprise, fail to mention TOD/HOD upgrades and holding back seats for them.

Its not like we don't all know this is going on, and even management has talked with pride about the much larger upsell/TOD revenue.

So why did you not mention this very obvious explanation? Just asking....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.