Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: When are your upgrades clearing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
CMH-IAD CPU cleared this AM at T-96. Hoping the return will clear later tonight. U fare. Seat selector shows me as the only one in F.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:24 am
grt

1K had BOS-IAD clear at T-70 hrs.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
YMMV and "I have no clue" are operative words for me. As a lowly Platinum, I'm rarely upgraded at 72 hours, usually between 24 hours and the gate. About a month ago, I booked no status Mrs. SFO and me on a cheap DEN-CLE flight. At that time, the exit rows were wide open and the F cabin was 19/20. Last week at T-90, F was still 18/20. By T-72, it had dropped to 6/20. At T-24, it was 2/20 with only 1F and 5A unassigned and I had resigned ourselves to exit row 21CD. But at T-18, we received our upgrade confirmation and were actually assigned seats together, 1AB. Does UA really move seat assignments to accommodate couples?

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 20, 2013 at 9:47 am
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hobo13
A CPU for a GOLD? Bwahahahah. That is so 2011.

1K's barely get CPU's anymore!
Same for this Gold. Last CPU was 2011.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: UA-1K >1MM ,QF Platinum,HH-Diamond,Marriott-Gold
1K had CPU clear DEN-LAX at T-96
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
I'm Gold, flew OMA-SEA 2 weeks ago.

OMA-IAH first flight out in the morning cleared at 48hrs+-. IAH-SEA cleared at 24hrs+-.

Contrast that to my return via Delta on a Saturday morning where I was 12 of 40 on the SEA-MSP flight and got the upgrade at 48hrs +- for MSP-OMA (like it matters for such a short flight)

IMHO, it's really up to the route. As Gold I almost always get upgraded out of OMA but once I reach the hub for my second flight it's a crapshoot and mostly gate upgrade.

OP the 48 hr upgrade window seems to be dependent on some magic formula I have yet to figure out or have explained well.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by SFO777
But at T-18, we received our upgrade confirmation and were actually assigned seats together, 1AC.
Just curious, had you checked in yet?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This 1K just received one of the early CPU's that happen on many west coast flights that are scheduled to depart after 12 midnight Central Time. This time the route is SFO-LAS that is a wide open flight up front and in the back. Upgrade happened one day early.

For the most part I'm either getting the upgrade at T-96 or not until T-24 closer to flight time.

And I might be missing my first upgrade of the year tomorrow on a SEA-ORD flight.

-RM
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Just curious, had you checked in yet?
No, had not.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:47 am

Does UA really move seat assignments to accommodate couples?
They didn't for me last week when the CPUs for my daughter and I cleared at 120 hours. Luckily the gate agent was able to find the customer sitting next to my daughter and get him to switch seats with me.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
No, had not.
My UG cleared last week on a ORD-SAN flight after I had checked in. The UG occured at around T-20 hrs. I have not had that happen before. I thought when I checked in, I would stay on the UG list for all of eternity.

All of my other 1K flights that have cleared (about 85% of my flights since November) have been clearing a few days prior, but not at the T-98 mark.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Gold 2014 - Silver 2018
Originally Posted by hobo13
A CPU for a GOLD? Bwahahahah. That is so 2011.

1K's barely get CPU's anymore!
Since United started using the 737's and 757's from LAX-HNL in single aisle configuration, this Gold has come to realize the capacity reduction means no CPU's and figures that he was "over entitled" before.

United has since corrected this "over entitled" Gold and has put him in his place in Group2 and no CPU's so far. :-)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, yours is a case where I say good for UA and too bad for you. If UA can get someone to pay that kind of money for a 500 mile ride up front with no meal, good on 'em. UA's trying to make money. Airlines are not supposed to be non-profits. Part of the reason they were non-profits is because such an upgrade was previously a "no-brainer". I know there were several instances where I probably lost seats to TODs or HODs, but it's just UA making money. It's their right and purpose (as long as the extra money is not totally insignificant).
I undertand that UA is a business and not a non-profit. I agree that the seats should be sold, wherever possible. I was providing a data point.

Where I will disagree is if that seat was sold to a lower tier FF for less than the $159 I was offered. I have no way of knowing that.

I have an issue with promoting the 1K benefit of T-96 upgrades and, IME, this very rarely happening. As far as the "no-brainer" comment goes, I used to give UA 100% of my loyalty between DEN-MCI as they flew 320, 319 and c700 multiple times each day. I was always pretty confident of getting an F seat. Now they've reduced the number of flights and they've dropped the mainline aircraft and replaced them with Q400 and E170 metal. If I'm playing a TOD game for the F seat on the 170 and will likely end up in the back anyway, why not fly Frontier, Southwest, et al? I'm not trying to convince you of anything but I want to make sure my rationale is clear in regards to my "brain" statement. To each his own.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by limey1K
I undertand that UA is a business and not a non-profit. I agree that the seats should be sold, wherever possible. I was providing a data point.

Where I will disagree is if that seat was sold to a lower tier FF for less than the $159 I was offered. I have no way of knowing that.

I have an issue with promoting the 1K benefit of T-96 upgrades and, IME, this very rarely happening. As far as the "no-brainer" comment goes, I used to give UA 100% of my loyalty between DEN-MCI as they flew 320, 319 and c700 multiple times each day. I was always pretty confident of getting an F seat. Now they've reduced the number of flights and they've dropped the mainline aircraft and replaced them with Q400 and E170 metal. If I'm playing a TOD game for the F seat on the 170 and will likely end up in the back anyway, why not fly Frontier, Southwest, et al? I'm not trying to convince you of anything but I want to make sure my rationale is clear in regards to my "brain" statement. To each his own.
It is what it is. You don't know if it's being sold to someone else for less, but I get the feeling your assumption is that it is. UAs decided there was too much capacity (and with it, too many 1st seats). I benefit from being flexible and on a route (LAX-OGG) that it would be hard to reduce the number of 1st seats. You aren't going to see regional jets, 319/320, smaller 73s flying to Maui.

UA promises upgrades AS EARLY as 96 hrs out, and I get them (and others get them) on routes with a lot of available seats. You're on a route with lesser capacity now and you're complaining that you're not getting the same upgrades you used to get and assume theyre being sold for less to others. In you case, you're right - why stay with UA? UA doesn't want to increase capacity solely so you can get free upgrades. Some day I may face the same capacity reduction and may not get the upgrades at the window (if at all) that I get now. I'll make a decision then, but certainly won't be blaming UA for changing capacity or imaginary people stripping me of my upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:00 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
For the most part I'm either getting the upgrade at T-96 or not until T-24 closer to flight time.
Same here for this 1K. Most upgrades this year have cleared at T-96h. One cleared at T-24h and one failed (out of 12).

These were mostly T & S fares, with two H trips (4 segments).

The buy-up offers when I was not upgraded were non-suspect amounts (i.e. about the right amount for an M buy-up).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.