Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: When are your upgrades clearing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by star_world
Keep in mind though that none of this means that they will necessarily sell the upgrades cheaply. Maybe the OP can let us know what sort of an offer they get at check-in ^
Well the OP can let us know what an elite gets offered, but are offers the same for everyone (or is the target the same)?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
I find this post to be very very very revealing. You run over a very very long list of unlikely hypothetical, yet surprise, surprise, surprise, fail to mention TOD/HOD upgrades and holding back seats for them.

Its not like we don't all know this is going on, and even management has talked with pride about the much larger upsell/TOD revenue.

So why did you not mention this very obvious explanation? Just asking....
Didn't think of it really - I rarely notice it on the routes I fly. Nothing more to it than that.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Well the OP can let us know what an elite gets offered, but are offers the same for everyone (or is the target the same)?
Well the OP is 1K, so most likely would get a better offer than other pax due to M fares. So you're right, probably not - but we have no way of knowing for sure.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by star_world
.....Well the OP is 1K, so most likely would get a better offer than other pax due to M fares. So you're right, probably not - but we have no way of knowing for sure.
well except for the documented cases where non-elites got lower offers (perhaps because the elites fare was above the target for the non-elite -- one case the non-elite was for a V-UP and the elite was above that already and was offered M buyup). Plus on day of travel the target has been below the published fare points (even though UA Insider claimed that should only happen if the waitlist is empty).
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This whole thread points to the folly of speculating about why this or why that based on seat maps. There are not 20, but rather 4 seats available for purchase in F.

One paid C/F family of 4 headed in from Europe with a misconnect will take those 4 seats and it would be folly for UA to give away those seats for that reason alone.

OP doesn't specify the fare basis on which he's traveling, but if it's below B, he will be accommodated below all GS and any Silver + traveling on a Y/B fare, and any cert. If on an M, he'll come before all 1K's below.

And, UA may choose, as a for-profit company with a duty to maximize shareholder value, to actually sell its F product despite the notion that it's somehow wrong to do so.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
If you are talking about UA 1205 tomorrow, which does show 20/24 seats open on the seat map, it is showing F4, which means a lot of those "open" seats aren't available for sale.
Originally Posted by tomj888
I thought that number was a bit high, so before posting I called the 1K desk to confirm that those seats were indeed unsold. I fully understand that the seat map on the website is only a reference point and many times is NOT accurate. As I said in my post, I'm obsessed at the moment wondering why status level upgrades windows are passing and NO seats are being assigned. I"m in no way delusional thinking that they are not trying to sell those seats first. Checkin time is a few hours away, I"ll post any offers to "buy up" I get when I check in.
With F4 and Y5, but the seat map showing many open E+ and FC seats my guess is that the economy cabin may in fact be oversold, with many Silver/GM without seat assignments because they didn't want to pay for the E+, and that they are cutting FC seat availability so that they don't significantly oversell the flight.

And of course instead of upgrading at the windows to free economy cabin seats they hope to get the TODs.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Transparency

Originally Posted by Often1
This whole thread points to the folly of speculating about why this or why that based on seat maps. There are not 20, but rather 4 seats available for purchase in F.

One paid C/F family of 4 headed in from Europe with a misconnect will take those 4 seats and it would be folly for UA to give away those seats for that reason alone.

OP doesn't specify the fare basis on which he's traveling, but if it's below B, he will be accommodated below all GS and any Silver + traveling on a Y/B fare, and any cert. If on an M, he'll come before all 1K's below.

And, UA may choose, as a for-profit company with a duty to maximize shareholder value, to actually sell its F product despite the notion that it's somehow wrong to do so.
I am on a bottom of the barrel "K" class fare. The whole point of starting this thread was my surprise that UNITED claims that CPU's will be offered at stages based on one's status, therefore, as I 1K, if CPU inventory was/is available, I should of been offered a CPU at 96 hours. Isn't that correct?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
If you are talking about UA 1205 tomorrow, which does show 20/24 seats open on the seat map, it is showing F4, which means a lot of those "open" seats aren't available for sale.
Thank you for the clarification. ^ I hadn't taken the time to do the research about which flight it may be but that information explains quite a bit.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I flew OGG-LAX Sunday. something like 14 seats unbooked w/ no upgrades processed until about T-30ish. Myself and another 1K or a GS were upgraded at that point. Plats and below weren't unpgraded until day of. Listened to one Silver and companion not believing their luck being upgraded. Ended up with a couple of employees and op-ups to fill cabin. Coach full. I think talk of ToDs is exaggerated. You'll get your upgrade. I'm waiting for an upgrade for Saturday LAX-OGG. 11 seats available. I'll get it. Don't worry about it. They're just running later than usual.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
if CPU inventory was/is available, I should of been offered a CPU at 96 hours. Isn't that correct?
If it was available and there were no others with higher priority than you, yes. But just because there are seats open doesn't mean there's CPU inventory. Also, CPU inventory could open up after your window has already passed, in which case it won't be allocated until the next sweep at the next window.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musing
With F4 and Y5, but the seat map showing many open E+ and FC seats my guess is that the economy cabin may in fact be oversold, with many Silver/GM without seat assignments because they didn't want to pay for the E+, and that they are cutting FC seat availability so that they don't significantly oversell the flight.

And of course instead of upgrading at the windows to free economy cabin seats they hope to get the TODs.
This. There are plenty of unbooked seats even though F is 4. Something like 5 are actually booked. OP will get upgrade. I think this is what happened on my flight last Sunday ex-OGG. Economy was overbooked.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by musing

This is the explanation that makes sense, and when you mentioned it, what I have seen on Hawaii flights. They don't upgrade anyone (hoping for TODs) but hold back large numbers of FC seats not because they are booked (I think we can all agree that when only 4 seats show as taken, that another 16 are purchased but with no seats assigned is not what is going on, that is not how it works) to F=4 in FC, but because they are nearly entirely overbooked on the entire plane.

I have seen this before, and if they sell a single seat in Y, F will also drop one as they are near the max booking.

Also agree the OP is likely to clear perhaps after getting the TOD upsell.

Its just sort of cheesy to hold off upgrading 20 elites (and those beyond them) in the hope one of them will then pop for the TOD. But instructive on how management thinks.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This whole thread points to the folly of speculating about why this or why that based on seat maps. There are not 20, but rather 4 seats available for purchase in F. .....
You must have missed the OP stating

I thought that number was a bit high, so before posting I called the 1K desk to confirm that those seats were indeed unsold. I fully understand that the seat map on the website is only a reference point and many times is NOT accurate. ....
The F4 comment was by another poster speculating on which flight it might have been. But appears the OP got the info from an agent, not just the seat maps and the OP was not speculating -- rather another poster was. And as yet another poster mentioned there may be an oversold situation in Y, effecting the inventory number -- yet there still be the larger number of "unsold" F.

..... The whole point of starting this thread was my surprise that UNITED claims that CPU's will be offered at stages based on one's status, therefore, as I 1K, if CPU inventory was/is available, I should of been offered a CPU at 96 hours. Isn't that correct?
not quite -- it has never been true that if empty seats exist, then upgrades are automatic are the selected time windows. This was not true for PMUA, PMCO or now. Previous a high percentage of the available seats may have been release but it has never been automatic - there has always been an element of judgement by the airline to usually hold back some seats for late purchases. It just seems that on some rules UA is much stingier on releasing early -- still may happen, but closer to flight time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reason: self merge
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Mobile site shows of 24 F seats, 5 have been filled (4 upgraded) and 15 are blocked, leaving F4 for sale.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by GroundStop
Mobile site shows of 24 F seats, 5 have been filled (4 upgraded) and 15 are blocked, leaving F4 for sale.
does look like a significant oversell of Y for that flight -- UA is probably hoping for some paid upgrades first (if they can find the right price point), maybe some misconnects and a fair number of upgrades at some point (closer to departure).
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am on a bottom of the barrel "K" class fare. The whole point of starting this thread was my surprise that UNITED claims that CPU's will be offered at stages based on one's status, therefore, as I 1K, if CPU inventory was/is available, I should of been offered a CPU at 96 hours. Isn't that correct?
No. If you look at the language, it states you may receive Complimentary Premium Upgrades AS EARLY as 96 hours out. There is absolutely no promise of upgrades at your 96 hour window. But you are right - "if CPU inventory is available". If you don't get one at 96 hours, obviously the inventory has not been made available, and UA makes no promise that any will be available at that time or at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.