Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I flew 120k miles with *A last year, just like the 1Ks. I guess it makes sense if UA Golds are group 2, but it just highlights how *A needs a third alliance tier
And you get benefits on your airline that UA elites don't get. I would be fine if all airlines extended 100% reciprocal benefits, but they don't. Why should UA provide more to non-UA fliers than LH, TG, SQ, etc.?

You could also credit those 120k miles to UA and you would be 1K.

I see your point, but I doubt airlines like SQ want to reward someone who flies 125k on UA as a top tier customer on SQ.

If all you're asking for is to board in Group 1 though, seems fine. That's a no-cost benefit.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I guess it makes sense if UA Golds are group 2, but it just highlights how *A needs a third alliance tier
I think that's right. They could also use some common standards on achieving the tiers. There's such a huge gap between what it takes for Gold on say, LH vs. A3.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think that's right. They could also use some common standards on achieving the tiers. There's such a huge gap between what it takes for Gold on say, LH vs. A3.
That's exactly the issue. It's difficult to add more tiers of *A without first having parity in achieving them. LH vs. A3 is a perfect example. But you can also look at UA using PQD in the formula while others only use miles flown. IMO, that's what gives airlines the right to minimize the *A benefits in comparison to their own, if they choose. I assume UA doesn't want to give 1K benefits to someone who spends $5000 on another airline just because they've flown 100k miles (for example).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
That's exactly the issue. It's difficult to add more tiers of *A without first having parity in achieving them. LH vs. A3 is a perfect example. But you can also look at UA using PQD in the formula while others only use miles flown. IMO, that's what gives airlines the right to minimize the *A benefits in comparison to their own, if they choose. I assume UA doesn't want to give 1K benefits to someone who spends $5000 on another airline just because they've flown 100k miles (for example).
And don't even start about RDM!

Flying LAX-NRT-BKG and Back. Credit to united? 4,410 miles. Credit that to Singapore? 18,400 miles.

As this pertains to boarding though, I think the solution moving forward is to prevent gate lice rather then worrying about who boards when. If there wasn't people lining up 35 minutes beforehand, I think the problem wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I think the solution moving forward is to prevent gate lice rather then worrying about who boards when. If there wasn't people lining up 35 minutes beforehand, I think the problem wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Why do people line up early? No overhead space. (Or perceived to have no overhead space.) So if they control the space, maybe less people line up early. (And honestly, if you had no status, why would you EVER check a bag for a fee? Bring it to the gate and check it for free! Have kids? Bring multiple bags and board early!)

I believe the real problem - and I lived it a few weeks ago - agent let numerous people board ahead of their group. As soon as others saw her let a few people in, more people 'magically' joined the end of group 1.

So what did that teach people? Line up early and in a group ahead of your own.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 2, 2015 at 11:51 pm Reason: Updated quote to reflect Mod edit, removed response to removed material
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme

As this pertains to boarding though, I think the solution moving forward is to prevent gate lice rather then worrying about who boards when. If there wasn't people lining up 35 minutes beforehand, I think the problem wouldn't be as big of a deal.
So many theories on what causes this. It's been around on UA for a long time, but I noticed it got worse when they started charging for checked bags. And actually the orderly lines they have now in most airports seems to encourage people to line up even earlier, but at least in a more orderly fashion.

If I only have my briefcase or backpack to put under the seat, I can guarantee you I'll be nearly the last person to board every time.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
So many theories on what causes this. It's been around on UA for a long time, but I noticed it got worse when they started charging for checked bags. And actually the orderly lines they have now in most airports seems to encourage people to line up even earlier, but at least in a more orderly fashion.

If I only have my briefcase or backpack to put under the seat, I can guarantee you I'll be nearly the last person to board every time.
Really, if people are in their right line, who cares if they line up early?

(I am 100% guilty of it before long flights. I just like to stand and stretch, but want to be close for announcements. So standing a queue works for me.)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Why do people line up early? No overhead space. (Or perceived to have no overhead space.) So if they control the space, maybe less people line up early. (And honestly, if you had no status, why would you EVER check a bag for a fee? Bring it to the gate and check it for free! Have kids? Bring multiple bags and board early!)

I believe the real problem - and I lived it a few weeks ago - agent let numerous people board ahead of their group. As soon as others saw her let a few people in, more people 'magically' joined the end of group 1.

So what did that teach people? Line up early and in a group ahead of your own.
You nailed it.

Which is also why this is never a problem with, say, Asiana, or Air China, or ANA. They don't charge for the first bag, and people cannot bring large totes across security (not that I know of).

The result: there is always bin space. Never saw any of them gate check.

And if I saw long lines at for boarding at Air India, I never saw them gate checking either. Exactly for the same reason.

But, Smisek said, United is a business now. So, the first bag fee is here to stay (well, except for elites). Which means people will line up well in advance to make sure - SURE - they can get overhead space. Because honestly, there isn't much space for your legs already, if this space is taken by your bag, well that makes for a horrible flight.

Doing so, United (and Delta and others) are making flying miserable for a large part of their clientele. And the fact is, it doesn't need to be this way.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 2, 2015 at 11:52 pm Reason: Updated quote to reflect Mod edit
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Good news. Now they just need to kick the credit card holders down a group.
Hallelujah brother Kacee, hallelujah.

But, I suspect it is a forlorn hope.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Good news. Now they just need to kick the credit card holders down a group.
How many credit card holders who are not elite do you really think there are? According to what I've heard from UA this forlorn group represents an average of one or two peple per flight. That is far from a problem and it hardly represents a group worthy of so much attention.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
How many credit card holders who are not elite do you really think there are? According to what I've heard from UA this forlorn group represents an average of one or two peple per flight. That is far from a problem and it hardly represents a group worthy of so much attention.
That's just false.

I can think of three friends I've had meals/coffee with in the past week who used the Explorer card to pay and who are not UA elites.

I've also had multiple encounters in the BG lines with cc holders, especially at airports like SAN where they blend lines for G1/G2.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:29 am

That's just false.

I can think of three friends I've had meals/coffee with in the past week who used the Explorer card to pay and who are not UA elites.
Having three friends with Explorer cards is hardly a significant example to refute the point that there are few card users on any particular flight.

I've also had multiple encounters in the BG lines with cc holders, especially at airports like SAN where they blend lines for G1/G2.
How can you tell that someone standing in line is a card user and not an Elite?

Last edited by goalie; Jul 31, 2015 at 3:15 pm Reason: please quote the member's name when when quoting multiple parts of their posts
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:38 am

That's just false.

I don't know what the numbers are. What I do know is that Group 2 lines are long (I'm often at the end of them ). But other than waiting for people to stuff half their house in the overhead bins ahead of me, it hasn't really caused me any material problems.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That is far from a problem and it hardly represents a group worthy of so much attention.
The problem is that it's a perception issue, like so many of UA's recent policy directions related to non-GS Premier passengers.

Because no Premier Gold/Silver passenger knows how many passengers there are in the long line with him/her who are CC holders, and not people who actually fly UA regularly, they have no reason to *not* get ticked off when they think about standing in line with credit card holders.

It's what could reasonably be considered by that Premier Gold passenger as tangible evidence of a UA corporate strategy to prioritize individual transactional (i.e., paid) benefits, to his or her detriment.

Personally, having looked at a bunch of boarding passes when I was Gold (admittedly back in 2013), there were a bunch of non-Premier passengers in Group 2.

Others can speak to today's situation.

Greg
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
How can you tell that someone standing in line is a card user and not an Elite?
If my recent experience at IAH trying to figure out where BG1 ended and BG2 began at a single Premier mainline gate, some clues... When asked what boarding group they respond
* "the credit card priority group"
* "groups don't matter it's only a single lane"
* "the chase group"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.